Walter Shaub: "Take To The Streets If Trump Fires Mueller"

Page 1 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 4:44 pm

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/16/obamas-ethics-czar-take-the-streets-if-trump-fires-mueller/

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:28 pm

Tricky situation. I haven't gone though all of it, but it seems Muller's team has be writing things that puts their credibility in question. Especially considering many have been calling russia-gate a witch hunt.

How can I have much faith in this investigation team, when they're stupid enough to write very damaging emails, basically saying they don't care what it takes, what they have to come up with, they just want Trump out of office.

Now the investigation team needs to be investigated by an ethics committee lol.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 6:40 am

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 12:42 pm

i'm just waiting for those neofascist orangehair lovers to drop the other shoe [revival of "alien and sedition" laws, martial law crackdown on free expression].

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 5:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'm just waiting for those neofascist orangehair lovers to drop the other shoe [revival of "alien and sedition" laws, martial law crackdown on free expression].

I wish I could say, "Don't hold your breath," but...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 5:58 pm

I am betting that is what the new year will bring. the more president prettyhair and his minions feel cornered, the more they will lash out at the rest of us.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

U.S. President Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" scandal ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Massacre ) makes it an almost sure thing that, if President Trump fires U.S. Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller, congressional oversight leaders might consider the constitutional ramifications as did their predecessors in the 1970s. More importantly, Republican members of the Congress would likely fear the backlash from voters.

Knowing all this, I doubt seriously that Mueller will even come close to being fired. But, talking about it a lot is, of course, the president's constitutional right of free speech.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:29 pm

^^^but today's GOPers are not the 70s' style of GOPers, they will circle the wagons around president prettyhair because they have skin in the game as well [all as corrupt as he is and compromised somehow]. he at the very least will issue pardons.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:45 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^but today's GOPers are not the 70s' style of GOPers, they will circle the wagons around president prettyhair because they have skin in the game as well [all as corrupt as he is and compromised somehow]. he at the very least will issue pardons.

Trump voters might, but I doubt that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Speaker Paul Ryan will risk their majorities in the Congress over the same matter that was resolved constitutionally in 1974. McConnell and Ryan have personal and professional reasons to cut ties with the White House over something like that.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 6:58 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Trump voters might, but I doubt that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Speaker Paul Ryan will risk their majorities in the Congress over the same matter that was resolved constitutionally in 1974. McConnell and Ryan have personal and professional reasons to cut ties with the White House over something like that.

I hope you're right, but i'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :pale:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I hope you're right, but i'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. :pale:

Trump voters will do to any Republican that tries and vote him out as they did to Jeff Flake and Bob Corker whose polling was so bad they did not bother to even run for reelection.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

Hi guys (Utah, Blabby, et. al.). I'm going to chime in and be a real downer here.

Have any of you heard of "regulatory capture"? What it is, is the industry being regulated finds a way to take control of its government regulator. One popular method is via "user fees" - and a fine example of this is the FDA.

Previously, the FDA depended entirely on Congress to set its budget. Then, in the early 90s, User Fees were established. Under a series of laws drafted by drug company lawyers and lobbyists, and basically rubber stamped by a Congress too lazy to read, drug companies now pay the FDA to have their proposals assessed (proposals to sell drugs to treat conditions or diseases, based on testing they have done, which the Agency reviews).

With User Fees paying the Agency salaries, eventually the Agency comes under more and more pressure to cut corners and to ignore it when the firms do the same - so that it becomes little more than a subsidiary of the industry. (See recent article on extremely lax safety testing of the Gardasil vaccine, https://slate.com/health-and-science/20 ... afety.html as an example. No, I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all.) Other captured agencies would include EPA and the Patent and Trademark Office. Zinke is busy forcing the capture of an entire Cabinet Department, as another example. Similar horrors are happening at State, HHS, etc.

Regulatory capture basically destroys the enforcement arm of the executive branch. It replaces functional agencies with shams.

Meanwhile, with Citizens United - and with the plague of lobbyists we have in the US (a theme of DarthMetaKnight) - we have progressed to nearly complete legislative capture (of Congress). One entire political party is now beholden to wealthy donors to such an extent that it does not even pretend to serve the people or the Constitution, and the other party does nothing more than look at this and sigh.

Capture of the judicial branch is underway as we speak (type). Judgeships are being awarded to young, unqualified, dogmatic incompetents. (Edit in: the theft of Merrick Garland's judicial nomination by McConnell and Gorsuch is a blatant demonstration of this.)

Now, the problem is, once all three branches of the federal government are captured, who will implement the rule of law? Who will actually uphold the Constitution? That's what Shaub and Yates are concerned about - and Preet Bharara and others.

Mueller's strategy seems to be to set up the perps for prosecution at the State level, as a fallback. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but it looks as though he is bringing relatively sparse indictments, reserving much of the criminal record so that it can be followed up on, and prosecuted, by the States if a presidential pardon is issued, or the Federal level investigation(s) are killed.

But make no mistake - the power brokers watched Watergate and learned from it, and we are now living the result.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:40 pm

can a country recover from its descent into fascism, by its own hand? or does an external force have to rescue us from the sociopathic institutions/individuals in power now?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:48 pm

I'm not a historian, so I have to think about this... I hate to say it, but the only case I can come up with, off the top of my head, is the French Revolution - which was ghastly. Our own Revolution was a colonial rebellion against an absentee landlord, and we're no longer in that situation. I do know that there were resistance efforts in Vichy France, in Czechoslovakia, in Poland, etc. and, of course, the failed efforts of the White Rose Society (Dietrich Bonhoeffer was executed as a result of this).

The Russian Revolution ultimately failed, as did the collapse of the old Soviet Union, so I can't really point to them... the capitalization of Mainland China is just another oligarchy taking over... yep, all I can come up with is Marat and Robespierre. And D-Day on the other side.

A genuine historian might be able to supply a positive example but I really can't come up with one. Edit in: thinking about other colonized nations breaking free, like India - still involved violence on a large scale, which is very disheartening.

And another edit: we suffer from not being a parliamentary government. Other failed governments dissolve the Parliament and hold new elections. France used to do that every twenty minutes :-) Also, the two party system really cripples us.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 26 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:51 pm

I wonder if we have it in us, to rise like the French people did?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
can a country recover from its descent into fascism, by its own hand? or does an external force have to rescue us from the sociopathic institutions/individuals in power now?

Maybe Canadians will have to come & burn your white house down again? :P