Do women really have more normal looking special interests?

Page 2 of 8 [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 2:24 pm

Kiryoku1428 wrote:
Miss_Skitty wrote:
As a kid I very much liked Lego and learning about bus and train routes and how buses and trains worked :P

That reminds me as a kid how much I loved architecture. I obsessed over designing dream homes and properties, watched a Re/max real estate channel (it was all we had when my family moved and didn't have cable). I would get good at predicting how expensive a house and property with certain traits would be, including based on their location. Then I would design my own places, decide where they would be, and predict their price. Presented some of these to my parents to check my work :lol: . This went on for years.

Also for years I would design my high school and university programs. Sometimes based on the existing local high school's design (and I would pick my electives, etc.) other times I would create what I thought was the best curriculum. I started this in 4th grade. I didn't slow down until a year after I graduated college, but I still fantasize about better program options and pretend "what if" I went to so-and-so college and took this program, what electives would I take and when?

I also played with globes, atlases, and spreadsheets. I imagined myself and a group of friends all specializing in a different -ology. I would calculate and research the logistics in expeditions all over the world. I also created a narrative, deciding at what point in our lives we would go certain places, what adventures we had on the side of the job, and what our lives were like between expeditions. I calculated salaries, rent, and utilities. I'm not sure how old I was when I did this a lot, maybe 8-14? SOOOO much fun.

In retrospect, I wonder how I managed to spend almost all of my free time doing these things and no one said anything, lol.

This reminded me of the island I planned. It had a palace, estates, hospitals, mental hospitals, parks, and woods. I named it after my sister. In the palace there were waterways instead of corridors, so you got from room to room in a short version of a gondola. My plan included that I would live in the palace until I died, and then it would fill up with sand and become my mausoleum. Nothing odd there for an eight year old :D
My next invention when I was 9, was my design for a tea maker. It was a whole room where you puled levers until the hot water ended up with the teabags in a big well that doubled as the table. So you opened a trap door in the middle of the table, lowered your empty mug down it attached to a chain into a big tea cavern and then wound it back up full of tea :D

peregrina
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2018, 5:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If one is not interested in "specifically feminine" interests, it does not equate to that person being "unfeminine."

I don't find an interest Tolkien particularly "masculine." In fact, as a kid, I thought literature was something that "girls" liked.

And what is "masculine," or "unfeminine" about playing music?

Both men and women can have "gender-neutral" interests, too.
:skull:
Come to think of it, most "interests" are probably "gender-neutral."

I agree with you. I know a man who is very interested in poetry and literature and, like you, even reads books that are mainly read by women. I don't think that certain genres of literature are gender specific.
In my early twenties, I enjoyed classic children's books like Treasure Island, Moonfleet, etc.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

Tibergrace
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2018, 5:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If one is not interested in "specifically feminine" interests, it does not equate to that person being "unfeminine."

I don't find an interest Tolkien particularly "masculine." In fact, as a kid, I thought literature was something that "girls" liked.

And what is "masculine," or "unfeminine" about playing music?

Both men and women can have "gender-neutral" interests, too.

Come to think of it, most "interests" are probably "gender-neutral."

The stereotype for "liking Tolkien" seemed more like it was a "fat sweaty nerd boy" thing.

In regards to playing music, it's both the instrument (upright bass and bass in general are not very feminine instruments) and the genres of music. Some of the genres I like are unisex or feminine, but some are traditionally seen as more masculine (various types of metal, etc).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 8:04 pm

I saw a pretty bass player on the subway about a couple of years ago. Yep, it was that heavy bass. not a rock bass (which looks very much like a guitar). She had to lug the thing around; luckily, it had wheels.

Tolkien, and "Lord of the Rings," in general, I find to be gender-neutral. It's quite a creative fantasy.

There's a woman here who is a certified "metalhead," and wear dreadlocks to boot.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2018, 11:12 pm

I have some less feminine traits (i.e. I like to burp) but as far as interests I would think they are pretty normal..shocking I rarely use that word to describe myself but as far as that yes.
I do love Pokemon and Digimon but I never considered that to be necessarily masculine. I mean I tend to like the cute and pretty looking ones more. My favorite is Articuno. There are some that are not like Charizard but generally I like those.
I have an unusual obsession with astrology but that's weird for anyone. However there are a few groups for it so I'm not entirely alone in it.
I would moreso say I have unusual interests for my biological age rather than my gender but most often it's about the degrees. Lots of people love music but rare are the people who consider it their life unless they are thinking of being a musician themselves.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 7:42 pm

Animals, especially cats, are my main special interest, pretty normal for a woman.

Andrewdarr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2018, 8:37 pm

I'm totally girly... I love cute animals like snakes and rats and centipedes, pretty men in Marvel comic adaptation movies, blowing zombie heads off in violent computer games, the usual stuff. I don't even know where I'm going with this or what point I'm trying to make, or maybe I do. F**k, I feel ill.

What do you even mean by "normal-looking", anyway?

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2018, 9:07 pm

Andrewdarr wrote:
I'm totally girly... I love cute animals like snakes and rats and centipedes, pretty men in Marvel comic adaptation movies, blowing zombie heads off in violent computer games, the usual stuff. I don't even know where I'm going with this or what point I'm trying to make, or maybe I do. F**k, I feel ill.

Some articles online say little aspie girls have more typical interests like dolls, celebrities and fashion while guys like weird things like math and trains. Not true for me. I did have a few normal looking interests, most of my interests were more similar to math and trains. I’m still kind of like that. I have a good mix of normal and weird interests. I just keep hearing about aspie girls who’ve never had an atypical interests or even special interests to begin with. It’s so hard for me to imagine this since special interests are my most severe trait.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 3:12 am

Balbituate wrote:
Andrewdarr wrote:

Some articles online say little aspie girls have more typical interests like dolls, celebrities and fashion while guys like weird things like math and trains. Not true for me. I did have a few normal looking interests, most of my interests were more similar to math and trains. I’m still kind of like that. I have a good mix of normal and weird interests. I just keep hearing about aspie girls who’ve never had an atypical interests or even special interests to begin with. It’s so hard for me to imagine this since special interests are my most severe trait.

Interesting, I've always had special interests but not all of them have been thought of as special or odd or extream at the time. Very often other people are unaware of how important or in what way something is important so it goes under the radar for that reason. Looking back it's very clear to me what my special interests were.

In something like a teenage girl being really into makeup. Would most NT's recognise the difference between wanting to look nice/fashionable (NT) and makeup as a special interest.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 4:17 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
Andrewdarr wrote:

Interesting, I've always had special interests but not all of them have been thought of as special or odd or extream at the time. Very often other people are unaware of how important or in what way something is important so it goes under the radar for that reason. Looking back it's very clear to me what my special interests were.

In something like a teenage girl being really into makeup. Would most NT's recognise the difference between wanting to look nice/fashionable (NT) and makeup as a special interest.

My biggest special interest was reading books. Lots of kids are interested in books, it's hardly abnormal, but I just took it way beyond what was normal. I fit the 'female version' of autism pretty well. I had other special interests that were less 'normal', but I learned the hard way not to talk about those. Reading was an approved activity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 4:20 am

a thing I've noticed, and that frustrates me, is that there are comparatively few female audiophiles. this is an irony because women generally have better [keener] hearing than most men and in theory at least should be able to enjoy high-quality audio even more than most men can. :dj:

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 8:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
a thing I've noticed, and that frustrates me, is that there are comparatively few female audiophiles. this is an irony because women generally have better [keener] hearing than most men and in theory at least should be able to enjoy high-quality audio even more than most men can. :dj:

It might be that women are the bigger audience and prefer the voice of a man reading over a female, I would. I did once read that men like to listen to higher voices, I think that's why techno stuff usually uses female voices, because they thing men are more likely to be the ones buying them.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 8:15 am

underwater wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
Andrewdarr wrote:

My biggest special interest was reading books. Lots of kids are interested in books, it's hardly abnormal, but I just took it way beyond what was normal. I fit the 'female version' of autism pretty well. I had other special interests that were less 'normal', but I learned the hard way not to talk about those. Reading was an approved activity.

Book were and still are my special interest. In a family of book lovers this went uncommented upon. To this day despite my collection still growing my Dad has more books (he's NT). Of course I would be able to name nearly all 1,760 of mine and most of his where as he wouldn't. We always shop for book together otherwise he buys ones he's already got.

Andrewdarr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Mar 2018, 8:21 am

Balbituate wrote:
Andrewdarr wrote:

But maths and trains are regarded as normal "male" interests, even in neurotypical people, right? Boys playing with toy trains and girls playing with dolls are stereotypical gender attributes. Not true, really. Women are encouraged to be motherly and girly, and men are encouraged to be manly and practical. It's a cultural thing. I know that some women, given the chance, can outrank any man in mathematics and other "male" activities/areas of interest. And some men play with dolls. Gender stereotypes are nonsense.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 11:34 am

I've always had normal special interests both as a kid and even now. I liked Barbie but not as much as My Little Pony and stuffed animals. I also really enjoyed reading about different breeds of dogs in third and fourth grade to the point where that alone took up most of my spare time.

Now I'm into a lot of video games including ones from when I was a kid. I also love clothes, makeup and anime. I think video games are a very normal special interest for girls and women even if they aren't on the spectrum. I'd say video games are just as normal as having a strong interest in clothes and makeup.

I honestly think that the stereotype of males on the spectrum obsessing over trains, math and science is nonsense. Just like females on the spectrum some males have "normal" interests and "weird" interests.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre