Do you hand-flap more with a long sleaved shirt?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Do you hand-flap more with a long sleaved shirt?
I hand flap more with a short sleeved shirt than a long sleeved shirt. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I hand flap the same amount regardless of the shirt I am wearing. 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
I hand flap more with a long sleeve shirt than a short sleeve shirt. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
I never hand flap regardless of my shirt. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 7:07 pm

Until today, I thought that I didn't hand flap at all.

But today, wearing a long sleeved sweatshirt, I caught myself having pulled my hands inside the sleeve of my sweatshirt and flapping not just my hands, but the loose sleeves of the shirt. I guess I like the feeling of the sleeves flapping.

I don't wear long sleeved shirts very often, but when I think about it, I do think that I've done this in the past as well (again, only with long sleeved shirts), but hadn't noticed it.

How about other people?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 7:32 pm

Personally, I only flap my hands about in the air when I'm HIGHLY stressed or occasionally excited, more often stressed though.

If I flap my hands, it's usually not a good sign. It means I'm FREAKING OUT, and I usually try to only do this in private as it's not something I like other people seeing.

Other signs include pulling at my face, or pacing. If I'm pacing, pulling at my face, and frequently flapping my hands, I'm probably about to have a nervous breakdown. 8O

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 7:37 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Other signs include pulling at my face, or pacing. If I'm pacing, pulling at my face, and frequently flapping my hands, I'm probably about to have a nervous breakdown. 8O

I do both pace and pull at my face quite a bit, and I don't have to be about to have a nervous breakdown. These have nothing to do with whether I'm wearing a short or long sleeved shirt.
:D

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

I do both pace and pull at my face quite a bit, and I don't have to be about to have a nervous breakdown. These have nothing to do with whether I'm wearing a short or long sleeved shirt.
:D

I pace so much, people say I look like an impatient caged animal lol. But I especially do it when I'm bored, or stressed.

However, I only really pull at my face if I'm angry/frustrated and/or stressed. I remember a friend of mine once said to me "You're pulling at your face again, you only do that when you're annoyed about something, want to get out of here?". Glad I left before I lost my chill/composure. :)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 2:21 pm

Yes! It's one of the reasons I don't wear them often.

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

What is hand flapping? I might be doing it not knowing to laabel it as that, I don't know. I do play with my hands sometimes but I dont know if I flap them, if I did I wouldn't use the word "flap"...I would just call it playing with my hands, which I do when I'm talking more than when I'm not.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 7:16 pm

rebeccadanielprophet wrote:
What is hand flapping? I might be doing it not knowing to laabel it as that, I don't know. I do play with my hands sometimes but I dont know if I flap them, if I did I wouldn't use the word "flap"...I would just call it playing with my hands, which I do when I'm talking more than when I'm not.

Other people might have a different definition, but I would say hand flapping is when you bend your elbows completely so that your hands are not too far in front of you, and then shake your hands up and down. I think it's probably the second most well-known stim, after rocking. It's probably more associated with Classic Autism than Asperger's.

As I mentioned in my OP, I didn't think I did it at all until I noticed myself doing it yesterday when wearing a loose, long sleeved sweatshirt and I noticed I'd pulled my hands inside my shirt and was flapping not just my hands, but the sleeves of my shirt as well. I still don't think I do this at all when wearing a short sleeved shirt, which is most of the time.

As for playing with my hands, I absolutely do that A LOT and would say it's definitely a stim for me, but it's not hand flapping.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2017, 5:47 am

I didn't even know I flapped my hands until someone made an impression of me in a drama-class, and put a lot of focus on the flapping. Now that I notice it, I can tell it's definitely a lot more when I wear long sleeves.
Still prefer long sleeves over short.