Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

byakuugan
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2017, 10:28 pm

And on the flip side, are your special interests mistaken for hard work?

It seems like a lot of NT's don't like the idea of a person simply being "better" at a certain skill, so they assume that hard work is the only key to success, and they dismiss the concept of talent.
Sometimes when people observe my intellectual feats, they simply assume that I worked hard and that I shouldn't have a problem making it in the real world, because I am such a hard worker.... and sometimes when people observe my disinterests/disabilities, they simply assume that I am lazy and that I couldn't possibly make it in the real world, because I am so lazy.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 10:37 pm

I can certainly say that if I'm giving a task that I find difficult and isn't in line with my interests, it is very, very hard for me to focus on it, and it seems like everything is a distraction.

Give me something that lines up with my interests, and I'm suddenly impossible to distract.

jedicounsellor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2017, 11:21 pm

Sometimes I feel all fired up with no where to go. Lately, things have been better, as I've rekindled some interest in writing again - before that it was horrible. I'm the sort of person who can't be doing nothing at any point in time without becoming extreemely stressed and impatient for the lack of event to be over. I can become bored with a subject or loss interest in listening to a teacher but with a book, there's always another one. My mum would equate sitting on the couch reading as being lazy and need to get a life but in those books which I'm immersed, I'm learning things, and I am alive. She wouldn't understand, if I tried telling her that. In fact she would probably tell me I need to improve some other unrelated part of my life. Anyways, to get back on track, the reason I mention my mum is because she was the first person to point out that I'm alright as long as I'm doing something, and she was right. Do any of you experience this sort of discomfort with being being bored?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 12:24 am

Disinterest mistaken for laziness.
Disinterest mistaken for hate.
Disinterest mistaken for fear.
Disinterest mistaken for close mindedness.
Disinterest mistaken for incompetence.
Disinterest mistaken for immaturity.
Disinterest mistaken for being a heretic/anti-social/morally wrong/weak.

Depending on the current trend and what topic/domain others would favor, it'll end up mistaken for the opposite opinions above.

PROJECTION!! ! :P

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

AntisocialButterfly
Raven
Raven

18 Dec 2017, 7:58 am

I was always called lazy and unmotivated until I found programming (I was never going to get a job just reading books ahaha) then I suddenly was told I was a really motivated person who works hard and lalalala. I basically suck at doing something I am not interested in. Once I am interested that is it!

rebeccadanielprophet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2017, 2:59 pm

my mom always calls me lazy. I hate it when she says that. I work hard at gymnastics because its so important to me, as is re-learning math and I always want to be studying.

"Someday you might see who I really am, and it will change the way you feel about me." "Nothing could ever do that."

Made different to make a difference

whether as victor or vanquished, isn't it better than sullen resignation?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 3:07 pm

It depends. Sometimes, my disinterest is laziness; other times, my laziness is disinterest.

The problem is when people don't know which one it is.........

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 7:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It depends. Sometimes, my disinterest is laziness; other times, my laziness is disinterest.

The problem is when people don't know which one it is.........

Half the time *I* don't know which it is. Forcing yourself to do something you're not interested in is hard work. Is it laziness if you don't have the willpower to force yourself to do it?

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 2:48 am

People assume that I worked hard at school because I got good marks/awards - I actually spent about 1hr/subject/term on studying outside of class because the work just made sense to me.

However, my mother always tells me I'm lazy because she thinks I can't be bothered to talk to people. I'm actually terrified and don't know how.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 7:10 am

"Whatever can be mistaken will be mistaken"
Murphy's Corollary