Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:14 pm

What do people here buy for their acid reflux?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2017, 4:52 pm

I always keep a bottle of milk-of-magnesia (magnesium hydroxide solution) in the house. Pharmacists usually sell it very cheaply, a bottle lasts ages, and it works for me just as well as more expensive tablets etc. You have to be careful not to overdo it, though, as it's also a rather effective laxative if you take too much! It's not so handy for carrying around either, so I use whatever indigestion tablets are easily available if my acid gets up while I'm out of the house.

If I wasn't so fond of curry and chilli, I probably wouldn't need it so often! :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2017, 4:49 pm

I'm prescribed 40mg of Pepcid 2wice a day for that. It's OK as a preventive. I was prescribed Protonix/Pantoprazole by a different doc for a while before my GP switched me to Pepcid cuz Pepcid is safer to take regularly but Protonix works better. I take Protonix as needed nowadays while taking the Pepcid 2x everyday. I was also prescribed Prilosec/Omeprazole for a month or so instead of the Pepcid & it helps better than Pepcid but you have to take it a while 1st.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

danum
Raven
Raven

27 Dec 2017, 4:11 am

I was prescribed omeprazole. I don't suffer with acid reflux any more now since losing a lot of weight.

Pericles
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2018, 7:04 pm

In my opinion most acid reflux is a result of under-production of acid, paradoxical though that sounds.

I treated my early acid reflux, and the long-established AR of a friend, by increasing stomach acid production. My AR went away in a day & hers in a few days. (She said, 'You have saved me $50 a month in medications.')

The health blogger Chris Kresser has the best info & a free e-book on this.