Why do Americans live in cold states?

Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2018, 11:24 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I noticed it more in the deep South (gulf coast) than the southwest. Deep South is weird. I like the place but can't deal with the culture.
I'm also from northern Illinois, and hope that I don't ever have to go through another winter there.
Pretty happy with northern California. Not too cold, not too hot, can deal with the culture, can deal with the rain.

You got a problem with my culture, bub? :ninja: :rambo: :batman:

Jk, I respect your opinion. Although I will say this, every time I’ve left the Deep South, I’ve come to realize there is a lot more hospitality down here.

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2018, 11:53 am

Here's a better question: why would anyone live in a hot, muggy, flat, ugly, overcrowded state like Florida? (I ask myself that question every. single. day, because I have the misfortune to be one of them. >_< ) Why would anyone live in Washington State? Oh, I don't know, maybe because the climate is perfect and you can see the most beautiful mountain in the country from a third of the state? *sigh* Did I mention I really hate Florida? :(

Quote:
Although I will say this, every time I’ve left the Deep South, I’ve come to realize there is a lot more hospitality down here.

Only if you're from there; Deep South culture is clannish and pretty hostile to outsiders. For me personally, though, my big issue with Southern culture is that it's so passive-aggressive. I'd rather be told "eff you" by someone who means it than have it cloaked in pretty words; the last thing I need in my life is more subtext. :lol:

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 11:58 am

Florida is not overcrowded it has less than 400 people per square mile.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2018, 12:11 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Florida is not overcrowded it has less than 400 people per square mile.

Sure, if you want to live in the swamp. My city has a population density of 3,856.00/sq mi, and that's not counting the year-round tourists.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 12:25 pm

Why do I live in Minnesota?

Because my family is here and I do not mind the winter. When you live in a place such as this, you not only get used to the weather but you learn to enjoy it. There are also indoor activities we can do when the temps fall below 0F (-18C). We also have indoor skyways that allow people to remain inside.

That said, warmer states such as Florida are not all that weather wise. I grew up in Western New York and you can deal with snow without losing your home and all its belongings. Not only that but the humidity is an issue in warmer states unless you are in Arizona or Southern California.

I am thinking about moving to a warmer place eventually but right now, I am fine in Minnesota.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I cannot understand why Americans choose to live in parts of America that have terrible winters, when they could live in a warm state like Florida or Hawaii? Do any of you live in somewhere like Chicago, Seattle or New Jersey etc? If so why not move?

I've lived everywhere from Phoenix, Arizona to Bismarck, North Dakota... just about as extreme as you can get. Honestly I much preferred North Dakota... I've always said "you can always put on more clothes, but you can't always take off more clothes"... it is much easier to warm up than cool off.

But there are SCORES of reasons to live in different places...

A: The most "perfect climate" places to live (San Diego, Hawaii) are prohibitively expensive for most people to live.
B: Because of their "perfect climate" they are generally densely populated in addition to being expensive, crowds are not universally appreciated.
C: That population density tends to wipe out a lot of nature.
D: Warm is not universally appreciated.
E: Warm wet climates mean humidity, humidity is not universally appreciated.
Eb: Humidity tends to increase insect life, bugs are not universally appreciated.
F: Warm dry mean a specific type of natural environment.

For me Seattle is perfect for many reasons, but as for the climate:
- Still as "rugged" as any city in the US can be.
- An abundance of beautiful nature of the type that I prefer (temperate coniferous rainforest).
- The option to get to the ocean or mountains with equal ease.
- Occasionally hot, never "too hot".
- Occasionally "too cold", which is a great excuse to Netflix and Chill under a fuzzy blanket.
- Due to some barely understood biological miracle, we have almost no mosquitos within 15ish miles of Puget Sound (we do have more spiders than should be allowed per capita... but they eat a lot of bugs, so I let it slide)...

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 1:35 pm

nick007 wrote:
i'm from Louisiana which is very hot & humid for half the year & I hated it. I live in Vermont now cuz my girlfriend's from here & I felt very trapped living with my parents. Vermont's also ALOT more progressive which I like. I do hate the cold winters here like how it's been below freezing for a few days but last night my parents told me how they've been pushing 80 all week & having high humidity with it & then I didn't feel as bad about the cold weather here.

Ugh,.... did Vermont for about 18 months... too progressive... judgemental, mean-spirited progressive. Recycle your urine progressive... We'll look in your garbage to make sure you are recycling according to the law progressive. Self-harming progressive (Yeah yeah, Walmart and Home Depot are bad... but EVERYBODY drives across the river to NH to give them money rather than paying massively more for boutique sundries on the VT side, so everyone loses [except NH]).

It certainly has its charms, don't get me wrong, but they wore off pretty quick for me. Moved across the river for another 18 months, but NH has less charm to go with it's reduced progressive-ism... and it is still just as cold... just as expensive. I think I went 3 years without seeing a movie in a decent theatre... nope nope nope...

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 1:36 pm

EzraS wrote:
I live in the Seattle area and I love it. But winters here aren't harsh. It rarely gets cold enough to snow.

Except this week... DAMN... is cold.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 1:40 pm

auntblabby wrote:
as I grow older I am more amenable to the heat of places like texas and AZ and florida and such, but there are cultural barriers that are impassible. i've noticed that southerners in general don't appreciate effeminate long-haired old outliers such as myself, conformity is much more a valued thing in the warmer places [outside of California at least].

AZ will always welcome you. They are extremely welcoming, honestly... not that kind of "southern" at all. I've never understood it at all, but the state is the most cordial and has the best customer service of anywhere I've ever lived. The people, somehow, were never my problem with that place.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
that was my experience in AZ and a few other places, I was harassed by some yahoos, given the cold shoulder by others. I just walked in one store, and the owner pointed out "we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody." I got the message and left.

Wow.

Sorry you had that experience. I don't think I had any friends there that weren't weirdos.

I've literally never experienced anything so overt (I lived there for 10 years)... but my outward appearance is pretty benign... still... wow. As someone who lived there long enough to consider myself a member of its community... I apologize.

I've only gotten that kind of treatment in Michigan (lived there a couple years... alternatively to AZ, worst customer service I've ever experienced anywhere [my favorite being the guy behind the Burger King counter who literally stared at me for 5 seconds and then said "Yeah? What do you want?"] )

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 2:09 pm

Zaarin wrote:
Quote:
Although I will say this, every time I’ve left the Deep South, I’ve come to realize there is a lot more hospitality down here.

Only if you're from there; Deep South culture is clannish and pretty hostile to outsiders. For me personally, though, my big issue with Southern culture is that it's so passive-aggressive. I'd rather be told "eff you" by someone who means it than have it cloaked in pretty words; the last thing I need in my life is more subtext. :lol:

The south still has this (earned, but possibly outdated) stigma of being intolerant to people who don't look and think a certain way.

I totally agree with this... I feel like Southern Hospitality can be aggressively ingenuine. I think there IS more hospitality in the south, but that sometimes they'll offer me a sweet tea and a smile, but they WANT ME TO KNOW it isn't real. As opposed to "northern" hospitality, which can be equally disingenuine, but they at least try to make you believe it, or they don't bother and tell to go suck it.

I also would much rather someone tell me no than give me some creepy thinly-veiled fake hospitality. Unless I'm paying them, then they better to make me believe it.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2018, 2:41 pm

OhkaBaka wrote:
For me Seattle is perfect for many reasons, but as for the climate:
- Still as "rugged" as any city in the US can be.
- An abundance of beautiful nature of the type that I prefer (temperate coniferous rainforest).
- The option to get to the ocean or mountains with equal ease.
- Occasionally hot, never "too hot".
- Occasionally "too cold", which is a great excuse to Netflix and Chill under a fuzzy blanket.
- Due to some barely understood biological miracle, we have almost no mosquitos within 15ish miles of Puget Sound (we do have more spiders than should be allowed per capita... but they eat a lot of bugs, so I let it slide)...

As a rather extreme arachnophobe, you just dashed my dreams of living in Washington. 8O I guess there is one nice thing about Florida: I only see a spider about once a year here. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:08 pm

I wish my neck of the woods was free of skeeters. I must lose half my body weight in blood to those little blighters every summer.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2018, 6:38 pm

Zaarin wrote:
As a rather extreme arachnophobe, you just dashed my dreams of living in Washington. 8O I guess there is one nice thing about Florida: I only see a spider about once a year here. :lol:

The ones you see are predominantly orb-weavers... at least we get pretty webs... We name the one on the back porch Banjo because the first one that set up shop there would plink his threads constantly like he was playing his web. Now the name just goes to whichever spider sets up in the original Banjo's spot each spring.

Lots of various spindly cobweb spiders...

Caught a mouse spider last year... those are neat, but other than that one I've never seen one before, they are uber fast and stealthy (and also not inherently scary, furry and kinda cute if you're into that)...

Of course, most the ones you can't see are Hobos... and that is less cool in every way.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2018, 6:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I wish my neck of the woods was free of skeeters. I must lose half my body weight in blood to those little blighters every summer.

I grew up in Idaho... the skeeters in most of the PNW are the worst part of being here. I saw one fly off with a baby once. Maybe I was just delirious from blood loss.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 9:55 pm

^^^