Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:13 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
magz wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
I cannot understand why Americans choose to live in parts of America that have terrible winters, when they could live in a warm state like Florida or Hawaii? Do any of you live in somewhere like Chicago, Seattle or New Jersey etc? If so why not move?

Why do you live in England if you could move to Bahamas?

If I could live in the Bahamas I would. It gets so grey and gold here.

Would you want to live in a warm place that is extremely overpopulated because everyone moved away from the cold places?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:35 pm

They are not over crowded yet. If the UK had a tropical part that normal citizens could move to I think everyone I know would move there.

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

Why do Russians live in Russia when they could move to warmer countries?

Some people have only lived in these colder parts of the U.S. It's their home, simple as that.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:42 pm

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I can be a cold-hearted motherf!cker. I’d rather live in a cold environment to match my attitude.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 5:46 pm

Utah:

--Four distinct seasons
--Sitting by a fireplace, not a television
--Because of the high-elevation cold weather, pesky-peskies die off every autumn; no need to spray in January
--Friends communicate by telephone instead of visiting

...and, best of all, the weather keeps the celebrities away except for those who are daring at the Sundance Film Festival (mink and stiletto heels wither under the pressure of 24 inches of snow and ice). :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

MidnightMoon wrote:
Why do Russians live in Russia when they could move to warmer countries?

Some people have only lived in these colder parts of the U.S. It's their home, simple as that.

Most Russians live in Russia because they are poor if they could afford to leave I imagine they would.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 7:11 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I cannot understand why Americans choose to live in parts of America that have terrible winters, when they could live in a warm state like Florida or Hawaii? Do any of you live in somewhere like Chicago, Seattle or New Jersey etc? If so why not move?

What stops you from moving from England to Ibiza?

And why don't you ask Canadians why they all don't move to the USA? Even Minnesota is south of most of Canada.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 7:55 pm

I think the answer is.. because it's home. That's why I live where I do - I was born in Vancouver (so rare! everyone left, it's all immigrants now lol) & it feels like home here. Ocean, mountains, forests etc. But besides those things, I'm attached to my family and friends as well. People grow attached to others, and their home, and so most people stay put & just vacation elsewhere.

Daniel89 wrote:
If Canada had a warmer part wouldn't you want to move there?

If? It does!

I live in the suburbs of Vancouver, where we have the most moderate climate of the entire country. We're in a temperate rainforest, but within a tank of gas' drive I can head to glaciers where it's cold all year, or to a desert resort town that heats up to over 40C in the Summer.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 8:05 pm

1.) Because I don't have the funds to move.

2.) I would like to live with my friend in Canada as he would love for it if we could be together... but again...funds and an overprotective, narcissistic mother preventing me from leaving the house most of the time. I also don't have a job and I wouldn't expect my friend to take care of me. I want to be able to help pay his rent and groceries.

3.) I'm very clueless on how to travel and get myself around. So even if I could take a plane somewhere else, I wouldn't know how to go about doing it without researching stuff online. Even so, my anxiety of the fact that I'm not knowledgeable about this stuff makes me wary, scared and I fear of getting lost and being judged for not knowing these things. My mother has never taught me about how to navigate around the area and she expects me to know all of this.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 8:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

What stops you from moving from England to Ibiza?

And why don't you ask Canadians why they all don't move to the USA? Even Minnesota is south of most of Canada.

Money and language barrier mainly. Spain is actually the second most common country Brits emigrate to.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 12:32 pm

I don't live in America, but I live in Finland and if it's compared to many other countries and a large part of USA it's pretty cold here. There are plenty of reasons why I don't move to somewhere warmer and lot of them are the kind many Americans probably have, too, such as:

- Lack of money. If I wanted to move somewhere else, I would have to make sure I can get money there somehow. For me it's hard enough to get a job from a country where I know the language and (more or less) understand the culture, but if I moved abroad? I think that'd bring even more trouble.

- Lack of people I know. I could make new friends, sure, but even more than that I need a certain kind of support network because of my disability... actually, without it I would probably move further up to Northern Finland like I planned as a kid.

- I burn very easily, even when compared to other Finns. My skin just can't handle heat and I'm better at dealing with cold anyway.

- It might not be very warm here, but it's beautiful, especially when there's snow. A slight snow fall in the dark is very beautiful. Winter nights when the stars are out are very beautiful as well.

- Also, it's really nice to jump straight in to a pile of snow after a hot sauna. You can't do that in a warm place, you know...

I can keep the list going if someone isn't convinced... not that I'm saying that living somewhere warmer wouldn't have any benefits, but since the guestion was about why people live in cold places I'm focusing on the positive sides those places do have.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 12:50 pm

magz wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
That's like asking why anyone lives in Canada, which I find personally insulting. But not as insulting as when they tell me to go back in my igloo. :roll:

Why insulting? Igloos are cool!

No pun intended!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 12:55 pm

I'm just here because it's where my family is. I would love to live somewhere warmer but I can't leave my family and we all have things like friends and jobs and school here.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 3:23 pm

There are many factors to consider before moving somewhere

Weather is just one of them

School
Work
Crime rate
Ethnic culture
Politics
Cost
Public transportation
Local Laws
Sometimes someone likes cold weather

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 3:37 pm

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 7:21 pm

I cannot understand why Americans choose to live in a hot, wet, stormy hell hole like Florida, when they could move to a cool state like Alaska.