Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SherlockTheUnicorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Dec 2017, 4:12 pm

I've been working in a shop for 2 months, a shop that demands a very high level of customer service where I am expected to chat and make small talk and sell products to every customer. I've found it so difficult but I've kept going, not wanting to give up. I'm also dyspraxic and find simple things like hanging clothes a little difficult. I've had a couple of reviews and been told I'm not confident enough, I'm not good at chatting to the customers, I'm too slow and my body language isn't good. I've also been told I'm only half way to the standard that they expect me to be at this stage, which unsurprisingly has done nothing for my confidence considering how hard I have been trying.

I would feel like a failure if I quit and I doubt I would get another job (this one took me ages to get, it is the only job I've been offered following a formal interview). However, I am so miserable working there and feel like a burden rather than a help, and am constantly worried I'm going to get sacked.

Any advice? Accept this isn't the job for me and quit, or carry on because lots of people hate their jobs and that's life?

Thanks

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 5:47 pm

You should always try to line up a new job before quitting. It is much easier to get a job if you are currently employed.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2017, 3:53 pm

I echo BTDT's post. You should always try to get another job while you are currently employed. If you're not successful, you will at least have your current job to support yourself even if you hate it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Dec 2017, 10:10 pm

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
I echo BTDT's post. You should always try to get another job while you are currently employed. If you're not successful, you will at least have your current job to support yourself even if you hate it.
I was going to say something like that

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:42 am

Hi Sherlock,

Have you already disclosed your issues with your boss? Do you have a formal diagnosis of your troubles? If you haven't disclosed yet, and you have a formal diagnosis, then it might be time to disclose. If you're having a difficult enough time that you're considering quitting then you have less to lose. You might as well see if you can get help.

I say that now is probably a good time to disclose partially because the way you describe it it's not so much that you just got in big trouble and are making excuses for the trouble, but that you're having all around difficulties and need to address those. Disclosing after some major event could seem like you're making excuses for the event so it's good that you seem to be being proactive. (I am not sure if this paragraph makes sense, but if it doesn't let me know and I'll try to clarify).

Then once you explain that you have difficulties try to share with your leader what they can do to help. As I read your message it sounds like you're not receiving complete instructions. NT leaders are likely to assume, and to try to respect, that people understand what "chatting to the customers" means. However, that statement seems very confusing and vague if you ask me. Ask your boss for advice on the kinds of questions and topics that you might want to talk with customers about. This way you can collect a list, sort of like having a script.

After all, the worst thing that could go wrong if you disclose and ask for better instructions is that you could get fired... but if they fire you for that then that is a touchy issue on their end. Also you're already considering quitting in the first place so maybe separating from the job isn't the worst thing.

The advice above about lining up another job is sound though. It might make sense to see what's available and if you think you could quickly land an alternative job if you were to get fired or decide to quit after all.

My summary advice: Try drastic things before giving up :)