Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2017, 4:17 pm

My friend is trying to get me into Magic the Gathering. He's crazy about it and likes to collect cards and build new decks in his spare time. He gave me one of his older basic decks (a black/blue one) and taught me to play. But since then he's kept upgrading his decks while I've still got the same cards he started me with and now I can't even touch him during a game. It's frustrating. He says I have to upgrade my deck but 1. I don't know how and 2. I heard Magic is one of the biggest money traps their is and I don't want to end up going bankrupt over this. Any advice on how to build a good deck without breaking the bank?

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 8:07 pm

How to do it without breaking the bank.... you cant, really.

One way or another, Magic IS a very expensive game, and always will be.

Either you're doing one of two things to get the cards you want: 1, buying boosters until you happen to get them, or 2, buying individual specific cards you want, for the price that each card is individually worth.

EITHER of these options is.... pricey, they just have different methods of being pricey.

As I've told other people, something like Magic isnt a game: It's a hobby. Think of it that way. If you DONT intend to play it ALOT, and I really do mean *ALOT*, dont get into it. If it's only to play it against one person? Dont do it. Just dont. Trust me on this.

And actually building the deck means a hell of alot more than just buying cards. You have to know which cards are good, which are not.... or, more specifically, which are good AT THE MOMENT, because each time they bring out new sets, some previous cards may suddenly not be so good anymore, stuff like that (and in some formats, many older cards are outright not allowed). You have to know how to combine those cards with each other to produce desired effects, there's things like ratios of various card types, and the idea of building an entire deck around a couple of specific concepts. Any given deck is built to DO something. It has some specific individual goal that it tries to reach in order to produce a situation that leads to a win. Simply throwing creatures and fireballs at your enemy isnt good enough. And you also have to have some idea as to the sorts of things you might find yourself up against when facing another player, so that you can put some defenses against potential threats in your deck. If you put the wrong ones in though, they wont help you.

It just gets more and more complicated from there.

But yeah, again, think of it as a hobby, not a game. That's part of WHY it's so expensive. There is no such thing as a hobby that ISNT expensive, really. And like many hobbies, not only is it expensive, it's complicated as all hell and will require a massive amount of time spent in it for you to really get anywhere.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2017, 10:04 pm

Misery wrote:
How to do it without breaking the bank.... you cant, really.

One way or another, Magic IS a very expensive game, and always will be.

Either you're doing one of two things to get the cards you want: 1, buying boosters until you happen to get them, or 2, buying individual specific cards you want, for the price that each card is individually worth.

EITHER of these options is.... pricey, they just have different methods of being pricey.

As I've told other people, something like Magic isnt a game: It's a hobby. Think of it that way. If you DONT intend to play it ALOT, and I really do mean *ALOT*, dont get into it. If it's only to play it against one person? Dont do it. Just dont. Trust me on this.

And actually building the deck means a hell of alot more than just buying cards. You have to know which cards are good, which are not.... or, more specifically, which are good AT THE MOMENT, because each time they bring out new sets, some previous cards may suddenly not be so good anymore, stuff like that (and in some formats, many older cards are outright not allowed). You have to know how to combine those cards with each other to produce desired effects, there's things like ratios of various card types, and the idea of building an entire deck around a couple of specific concepts. Any given deck is built to DO something. It has some specific individual goal that it tries to reach in order to produce a situation that leads to a win. Simply throwing creatures and fireballs at your enemy isnt good enough. And you also have to have some idea as to the sorts of things you might find yourself up against when facing another player, so that you can put some defenses against potential threats in your deck. If you put the wrong ones in though, they wont help you.

It just gets more and more complicated from there.

But yeah, again, think of it as a hobby, not a game. That's part of WHY it's so expensive. There is no such thing as a hobby that ISNT expensive, really. And like many hobbies, not only is it expensive, it's complicated as all hell and will require a massive amount of time spent in it for you to really get anywhere.

Listen to him! Magic will drain your bank incredibly fast, just like about any other card game! I wanted to play Magic as well but when I looked at the price of individual cards I said "hell, no!" With trading card games you're definitely going to put a nice hole in your bank.

Magic actually is one of the most complex card games, unless you're really ready and sure to invest in Magic it's best to quit before you go too deep.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2017, 8:27 am

Tell him to upgrade your deck for you :mrgreen: (I can't find the smashed teeth emoticon so this will have to do)

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 5:48 pm

CCGs are paper heroin. That said, here is my favorite deck (this one is old school, from the time when most decks were 60 cards):

Mana Base: 19 Plains, 1 Kjeldoran Outpost

Creatures: 2 Crossbow Infantry
2 Heavy Ballista
3 Standing Troops
3 Honor Guard
1 Intrepid Hero
4 Longbow Archer
1 Brass Herald

Enchantments: 4 Serras Embrace
1 Glorious Anthem
1 Test of Endurance
4 Spirit Link
4 Pacifism

Instants: 4 Life Burst
4 Disenchant

Sorceries: 2 Wrath of God

If you like it, you can build it and play it with my compliments.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

MHaruspex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2018, 6:03 pm

I love Magic! Is your friend playing any format in particular (ask him if unsure), or just throwing together cards with fun interactions between them? If the latter, find a single card you think has some cool effect, then you can use Wizards' 'Gatherer' tool online to research cards and piece together a deck. For example, if you want to build around a card that lets you remove your creatures from the battlefield and put them back each turn, punch 'when enters the battlefield' into Gatherer to pull up a list of all the creatures printed that have some effect whenever they re-enter the field, and slowly piece together which ones you'd like to run in your deck. If nothing else, read the comments on the cards you're already running - people are sure to have pointed out which cards work well with them.

If your friend is playing a particular competitive format, I'd recommend the YouTube channel Tolarian Community College - it covers plenty of competitive decks for any given format, so you can look through them and pick whichever looks most interesting (and in your budget).

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 6:04 pm

Also, if you want one that is in any way competitive at all, the posters here are right, it would take much in terms of time and money, unless you are only playing other people who are only interested in it as a casual game.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 4:36 pm

FunkyPunky wrote:
My friend is trying to get me into Magic the Gathering. He's crazy about it and likes to collect cards and build new decks in his spare time. He gave me one of his older basic decks (a black/blue one) and taught me to play. But since then he's kept upgrading his decks while I've still got the same cards he started me with and now I can't even touch him during a game. It's frustrating. He says I have to upgrade my deck but 1. I don't know how and 2. I heard Magic is one of the biggest money traps their is and I don't want to end up going bankrupt over this. Any advice on how to build a good deck without breaking the bank?

Thinking about it, your best bet would be to research decks that others have made, find those you like, and build those decks. You can get individual cards online, at comic shops, and conventions. If you just buy random cards it will cost way to much money and take way to long to build a competitive deck.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm

MHaruspex wrote:
I love Magic! Is your friend playing any format in particular (ask him if unsure), or just throwing together cards with fun interactions between them? If the latter, find a single card you think has some cool effect, then you can use Wizards' 'Gatherer' tool online to research cards and piece together a deck. For example, if you want to build around a card that lets you remove your creatures from the battlefield and put them back each turn, punch 'when enters the battlefield' into Gatherer to pull up a list of all the creatures printed that have some effect whenever they re-enter the field, and slowly piece together which ones you'd like to run in your deck. If nothing else, read the comments on the cards you're already running - people are sure to have pointed out which cards work well with them.

If your friend is playing a particular competitive format, I'd recommend the YouTube channel Tolarian Community College - it covers plenty of competitive decks for any given format, so you can look through them and pick whichever looks most interesting (and in your budget).

He made me a black/blue deck. Making new decks is a hobby of his so he'll have a new one put together every couple of weeks. So far he's fought me with a vampire deck a dinosaur deck a pirate deck a merpeople deck and another that I can't remember the name of but I think it had lots of mechanical stuff in it.