What is this "checking your browser" crap?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2017, 4:45 pm

What is with this "checking your browser" crap? It's ruining these forums. Let me give an example what trying to post something is like...

*brings up website*
"Checking your browser before accessing wrongplanet. Please wait."
*clicks on forum I want*
*clicks on topic*
*clicks post reply*
*types in reply*
*gets brought back to reply box, but everything I typed is gone*
*types it again*
*it's gone again*
*types it again*
*is deleted again*
*gives up*

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 9:07 am

Quote:
What you’re seeing is an effort by the website owner to mitigate spam traffic from botnets and otherwise malicious traffic. It is part of a service called Cloudflare which offers a layer of protection for websites concerned with this type of invasive traffic. Your browser is simply being checked by this service to gauge the likelihood of your traffic being part of an attack; this might include indicators like your (approximate) location, browser user agent, and others.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 11:13 pm

If you're frustrated with the deleted typed messages:
Have at least two tabs for WP -- one where you type your posts or messages, and one is pretry much at any part of the forum; whether it's your profile page, index board, or another thread.

Before posting or sending your typed message, refresh the tab where you don't type your messages at.
If it doesn't trigger the "Checking Your Browser" Crap, :lol: it's safe to send/post/preview without the risk of having to type it all over again.
If it does trigger, just wait for it to end. Then go back to your typed messages, and send/post/preview.

If the whole thing triggered after you click send/post/preview, click 'go back' on your browser's interface. Then refresh on the other tab before going back at the typed message to send/post/preview with.

Alternatively, if you really wanna play safe, select your whole message then copy it. Or type it somewhere else, copy/paste it where you want to send/post/preview it within the forum. So that if it triggers, you won't had to retype again.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 11:19 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
If you're frustrated with the deleted typed messages:
Have at least two tabs for WP -- one where you type your posts or messages, and one is pretry much at any part of the forum; whether it's your profile page, index board, or another thread.

Before posting or sending your typed message, refresh the tab where you don't type your messages at.
If it doesn't trigger the "Checking Your Browser" Crap, :lol: it's safe to send/post/preview without the risk of having to type it all over again.
If it does trigger, just wait for it to end. Then go back to your typed messages, and send/post/preview.

If the whole thing triggered after you click send/post/preview, click 'go back' on your browser's interface. Then refresh on the other tab before going back at the typed message to send/post/preview with.

Alternatively, if you really wanna play safe, select your whole message then copy it. Or type it somewhere else, copy/paste it where you want to send/post/preview it within the forum. So that if it triggers, you won't had to retype again.

Good idea.

Under my prior username, i sometimes just quit going to the web site, sometimes for weeks or months.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Dec 2017, 12:04 am

what browser are you using?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 12:25 am

Not likely to be Firefox - unless it's an older version. I use Firefox and only get the browser check when I first log in here.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 1:30 am

alex wrote:

Not sure about the OP's.

I'm on Chrome mobile browser.
And, never tried to update for the last several months. Otherwise, accessing WP with minor setbacks won't be the only problem I'd have because of the browser's crappy updates.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 2:26 am

of all the things that have been "ruining the forums" as of late this is probably the very least intrusive.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2017, 10:12 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
of all the things that have been "ruining the forums" as of late this is probably the very least intrusive.

I can't imagine many problems worse than the website itself refusing to let you use it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 2:01 pm

alex wrote:

I use Google Chrome for the most part on this computer running the OpenBSD operating system. On the computer on my desk which runs Linux, I usually use Opera.