Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 7:33 am

I recently went for an autism spectrum assessment and apparently it went very wrong (according to my therapist who couldn't be there but I relayed the story to after). From my perspective the person doing the assessment was indeed disruptive when he told me that he could probably rule out ASD and that I might have PTSD instead (this was just after some basic interview questions). It's now been less than 48 hours later and I am still trying to understand all of it and one of my theories is that possibly the mismatch between my gender identity and gender expression could have caused confusion.

I am AMAB with a gender identity of non-binary more fem than masculine. My gender expression is male for multiple reasons, and I am out to very few people which is easy enough because while I experience gender dysphoria its minor, I have my outlets for expressing myself, and it's just easier TBH.

I relate much more with female aspies and female aspie traits than male aspies. I have also built up a lot of the coping mechanisms that the various pundits claim make diagnosis in girls/women difficult.

I would have explained this variance to them but they never asked... I guess because for most people it's not a problem.

Did anyone else experience these kinds of difficulties? If so what did you do about it? I know this is likely to have a rare set of people with a similar experience but any help and thoughts would be very appreciated. ♥

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2017, 1:10 pm

If understand it correctly you went to an autism spectrum assessment, they asked you a couple questions and decided that you don't have an ASD and they didn't even finish the assesment.
That's not fair at all.
When you get the autism assesment they should do the whole assesment before deciding anything about a diagnosis.
I would file a complaint and insist to get tested thoroughly instead of them ending the assement after just a couple of questions.

I think you've described why you related more to female aspie traits more than to male aspie traits very well in your post and i suggest printing it out and giving it to them.

I think you could ask them if you do meet the requirements for an ASD diagnosis for females if you don't meet the requirements for an ASD for males.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 6:56 am

RemiBeaker wrote:
If understand it correctly you went to an autism spectrum assessment, they asked you a couple questions and decided that you don't have an ASD and they didn't even finish the assesment.
That's not fair at all.
When you get the autism assesment they should do the whole assesment before deciding anything about a diagnosis.
I would file a complaint and insist to get tested thoroughly instead of them ending the assement after just a couple of questions.

I think you've described why you related more to female aspie traits more than to male aspie traits very well in your post and i suggest printing it out and giving it to them.

I think you could ask them if you do meet the requirements for an ASD diagnosis for females if you don't meet the requirements for an ASD for males.

Hi Remi, This sounds like good advice. Thanks.

They didn't stop entirely. More like, they interrupted for a brief message about an assumption. They still had me complete all of the different exercises and I am now waiting for official results.

I like the idea of printing out the post. I may have to do that. Although, my therapist is going to talk with them next week so I'll wait to hear back from her first.

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2018, 7:35 am

I hope it goes well.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

RemiBeaker wrote:
I hope it goes well.

Me too... I still haven't got my results back yet but they gave me the MMPI-2 test as well which measures gender. My plan is to use that as part of my discussion if they claim a different result from ASD. Then again, who knows... maybe the MMPI will say I am super butch lol

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 5:32 am

Well... not only did it come back saying that I am anxious rather than being on the spectrum...

It also put me in the range of having "Interests similar to most men"

Great... so not only am I wrong about ASD... I am also not feminine enough to match my gender identity or even to seem sort of off... It turns out, thanks to the report... that everything I've known about my identity is a lie I tell myself because I am stressed out... great...

:(

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jan 2018, 10:21 am

I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you seen the topic about the sage sex and gender test in these forums?
There 's a poll with the question: Do Your Results Seem Accurate?
Only 44% of the people here say that the testresults are accurate.

There's a video on YouTube by with Mackenzie Waddilove with the title Transgender Tomboys! | Masculine Trans Women! that i agree with very much:

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 10:59 am

RemiBeaker wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Have you seen the topic about the sage sex and gender test in these forums?
There 's a poll with the question: Do Your Results Seem Accurate?
Only 44% of the people here say that the testresults are accurate.

There's a video on YouTube by with Mackenzie Waddilove with the title Transgender Tomboys! | Masculine Trans Women! that i agree with very much:

"Trangender Tomboys" cheers me up... It's not really me, but it's cute ♥ makes me want to wear a baseball cap backwards for some reasons (I am not sure why that's the mental image that I have of a tomboy). I will absolutely watch the video today.

I did see the topic, and I started to fill in answers and found within about 20 questions that they were highly stereotyped based on the western allistic male vs female profile rather than actual cross-cultural attributes that apply across different kinds of thinkers.

This one is such a double-hit for me... not only is my identity as an aspie being challenged, but my identity as genderqueer is being challenged... I haven't had this severe of a identity crisis since my early 20s x.x

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2018, 3:51 am

I relate to this a lot.
I feel like a lot of people see aspies and autsies needing to be asexual or even weary of sex and gender identity all together.

The person doing your assessment does not sound like the type of person who is open minded enough to give you a proper diagnosis.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 7:28 am

Goldilocks wrote:
I relate to this a lot.
I feel like a lot of people see aspies and autsies needing to be asexual or even weary of sex and gender identity all together.

The person doing your assessment does not sound like the type of person who is open minded enough to give you a proper diagnosis.

One thing that has been determined... the assessment is invalid. What I haven't decided is if I am going to tell them why they messed it up or not. I am now looking for someone else to do the job either way. I will be up front about my social skills and gender identity. I think I'll also ask that they use the female version of any assessments too.

Also to Remi, Mackenzie is a hoot! I have a new channel to watch ♥ thanks

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jan 2018, 1:43 pm

infinitenull wrote:

One thing that has been determined... the assessment is invalid. What I haven't decided is if I am going to tell them why they messed it up or not. I am now looking for someone else to do the job either way. I will be up front about my social skills and gender identity. I think I'll also ask that they use the female version of any assessments too.

That's great to hear :D
Kudos for standing up for yourself, and for believing in yourself and how you identify.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 5:41 pm

RemiBeaker wrote:
That's great to hear :D
Kudos for standing up for yourself, and for believing in yourself and how you identify.

Thanks! I've been seriously considering being just completely out again lately. I am already out as asexual, and I doubt anyone would be surprised lol.

Pumpkin_Prince
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2018, 6:07 pm

The opposite kind of happened to me, I went to counselling for my gender issues, I’m a female to male trans guy. While I was there my counsellor suspected I had ASD and then I did the test and got diagnosed. It’s sh***y though because for a while my parents thought that because I have autism I can’t be trans, I had to tell them that both things are very different and it’s entirely possible to be both autistic and trans at the same time *rolls eyes*

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 5:43 am

Pumpkin_Prince wrote:
The opposite kind of happened to me, I went to counselling for my gender issues, I’m a female to male trans guy. While I was there my counsellor suspected I had ASD and then I did the test and got diagnosed. It’s sh***y though because for a while my parents thought that because I have autism I can’t be trans, I had to tell them that both things are very different and it’s entirely possible to be both autistic and trans at the same time *rolls eyes*

You know... I hadn't thought of that. They could have possibly been even more confused if I added genderqueerness in there. "well gender dysphoria is probably one of the reasons you're so stressed that you think like an aspie"... At least that would have been less hurtful for some reason.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 4:01 pm

How about genetic testing to see if those with gender dysphoria may in fact be intersex?

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 7:28 pm

Aniihya wrote:
How about genetic testing to see if those with gender dysphoria may in fact be intersex?

I am pretty sure that I don't have the standard genetic stuff for intersex just because my 23andme came out looking male. I have wondered if there are certain genetics that are common for trans folks. Would be interesting. I am almost certain that my body doesn't produce as much testosterone as a typical genetic male but there could be all kinds of causes for that.