Is here any highly intelligent, or brilliant adolescent?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dick2Dick4Dick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2017, 11:02 am

Yes, that is all I wanted to ask. I'm a little bit of a socially isolated 14-yo, and all that because of my psychological tendencies: Asperger's and IQ of 155, which is a blessing, but also a curse. Let's say it's a cognitive blessing and a social curse.

And I can live with these two "attributes", but my life is very boring with them, and to be serious, I don't really like it. I have also a tendency to bore myself to death, when I don't have anything to do (Happens all the time).

So is there any genius-adolescent present to be friends with me? :)

Masakados
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2017, 1:36 pm

I'd say most of us are above average academics wise. However there aren't many people the same age as you here to be your friend. We do however have a discord with about 20 of us if you'd like the link to it.

sprk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2017, 1:51 pm

I'd say I'm sort of in the same boat as you, only I'm 17. I'd be friends with you if you wanted to be :)

"Being autistic but passing as neurotypical feels like being a war spy with a well-kept secret; infiltrating a foreign country with a culture you, although understanding it, still find it somewhat strange. I guess you can call it Aspieonage."

Diagnosed with Asperger's and associated sleep problems. Send me a PM if you have any questions about anything or just wanna talk :)

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2017, 4:08 pm

I'm 15.
I don't know my IQ (I have taken a few online tests but we all know how accurate those are... the results ranged from 123 to 167 if you're interested) but I have always done above acerage in school. I find it hard to apply myself though. The vast majority of my school assignments get slapped together the day before, and I normally get B's and A's so I have never had a reason to try harder. I find it so hard to apply myself to something I am disinterested in.
Occasionly though, when there is something I am interested in, I will absolutely ace it.
Essays and tests I find easier than assignments. Here in Australia we have this thing called NAPLAN. Basically its a government test that compares students from across the country. In my results for last year (which was the last time I had to do NAPLAN) I was above average in every category, and in the top 5% for all except one. I knew I had messed it up on the day though. It was the last one of the tests, which are done over the course of a week, and I hadn't slept for days and I just completely blanked in there. I only got slightly above average in that one.

I too suffer socially. In a conversation, the only thing I can think to say is "Do you know about ^insert obscure scientific theory here^ Or something like that, so normally I just don't say anything. Which normally ends up pretty awkward.
I would be your friend.

BeeFarm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2017, 12:16 am

I'm not what would be considered a genius, but I'm considered to be bright because I'm pretty knowledgeable in a wide variety of subjects.

erijon3
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jan 2018, 7:50 pm

mee!! !! my iq is about half urs which is twice as good right? :)

I am diagnosed with Asperger's though I do doubt I actually have it.

I'm amazed noone here has called me edgy yet.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2018, 2:16 pm

I took an IQ test and I found out I have slightly above average intelligence.
I am also intelligent when it comes to editing videos.
I struggle in school though, and it is extremely difficult for me to apply myself.
I can say I have an IQ of between 80-100.

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2018, 7:43 am

I think apart from friends, or doing it with friends your best bet would be to fill your boredom with learning stuff.
At best not something like the entire SW lore, most fields of science will prove much more interesting than that.
You got languages, you can try getting various expertise, the deeper parts of the computer also are very good.
Ignoring building (not only in a physical sense) this has proven a very good boredom killer.
I assume you already try alot to understand yourself if you know what i mean.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2018, 5:19 am

My IQ is in the 99th percentile (according to a test when I was 10) and I learned calculus, multivariable calculus, and differential equations at age 12. I also know 300 digits of pi.

It's a blessing and a curse, I would agree, especially on top of being autistic. It gives me two things to hide from The Humans, as I call them. Although I would relate my giftedness with my autism, since it allows me to focus and makes memorizing numbers a lot easier. I am also naturally a mathematically and patterns focused thinker, which could be related to autism.

I used to be obsessed with comparing myself to others in terms of intelligence, but I gave up on it eventually because it was awful for my self esteem and everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I would argue that I got lucky to have academic special interests, and other autistic people are thought of as not gifted even though they have equal aptitude in something that isn't academic, like art for example.

I also don't like the entire concept of IQ, since IQ tests on their own can be kind of ableist. Learning disabilities can affect IQ score when someone is still intelligent, for example, and even people with intellectual disabilities can be very skilled in certain areas. And even if they aren't, they can still be good people.

Also, a quick question about your signature. If you are 14, you can't technically be diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder (psychopathy) since you cannot have a personality disorder under the age of 18 according to the DSM-V.

ethan14070
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Oct 2018, 5:34 pm

Child of the Universe wrote:
My IQ is in the 99th percentile (according to a test when I was 10) and I learned calculus, multivariable calculus, and differential equations at age 12. I also know 300 digits of pi.

It's a blessing and a curse, I would agree, especially on top of being autistic. It gives me two things to hide from The Humans, as I call them. Although I would relate my giftedness with my autism, since it allows me to focus and makes memorizing numbers a lot easier. I am also naturally a mathematically and patterns focused thinker, which could be related to autism.

I used to be obsessed with comparing myself to others in terms of intelligence, but I gave up on it eventually because it was awful for my self esteem and everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. I would argue that I got lucky to have academic special interests, and other autistic people are thought of as not gifted even though they have equal aptitude in something that isn't academic, like art for example.

I also don't like the entire concept of IQ, since IQ tests on their own can be kind of ableist. Learning disabilities can affect IQ score when someone is still intelligent, for example, and even people with intellectual disabilities can be very skilled in certain areas. And even if they aren't, they can still be good people.

Also, a quick question about your signature. If you are 14, you can't technically be diagnosed with Antisocial Personality Disorder (psychopathy) since you cannot have a personality disorder under the age of 18 according to the DSM-V.

Hello! I empathize with you greatly. I'm also autistic and fall under the category of "intellectually gifted" (IQ above 99 percentile). Gosh, I don't think I could fully explain to anyone how much of a curse it can be (even though sometimes it is a true gift).
I'm still in my teenage years, so I don't know if it will ever get better. I say this to you because I surmise you would understand. I can't really tell others I'm above the 99th percentile without appearing narcissistic, and I have nobody else to relate to.
I'm probably not as smart as you, though. Well done with the math! I like languages the way you like math. :)

Mycroft.H
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2018, 6:28 am

Hi,

I was considered a ''genius'' with numbers as a child. But because of my difficulty with language and a bad work ethic, I never did anything more than i had to. Being bullied and feeling like a idiot did not help.

I did a IQ test when i was younger but during the first exercise I almost got a breakdown.( I really disliked the timer and preassure during the test.) After calming down for a while, We came to the conclusion to finish the test. I scored 117. But everyone Always estimates me higher. I do not think I am that smart but i have self esteem issues.

I am not trying to sound arrogant, I dislike being percieved in that way. But just trying to answer your question. I would like to talk some time. :D

Pyromanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Nov 2018, 11:27 am

Yes, I am highly proficient in mathematics.

ZeroFactorial
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Aug 2019, 11:41 pm

I suppose. I'm 18 and have an unspecified developmental disability (I'm probably not autistic by the way). I took an IQ test when I was 5 and scored 161.

I also can read an average-sized novel within a couple of hours, similar to Kim Peek.

Eviethesloth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2019, 6:37 pm

I have good grades and most teachers say I'm smart so I guess I am. :D

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

I wouldn't call myself a genius and I am scared to know my IQ because while some things were high (I scored 139 for maths IQ and I only know that because an IQ test was part of my autism assessment) some scores were so low (my dual attention is worse than like 99% of the popuation ) they couldn't really put a number to them so the average is probably low. I do know I am intelligent though in lessons at least.

Miroophis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2019, 3:02 pm

I got the non-movie version where you only have poor social skills and sensory issues, but no rain man powers.