Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2017, 3:06 pm

Hi all.

Currently I weigh 97 kilograms. This means i'm overweight. But I decided to lose weight. How can i do this? I don't eat regularly. I dont eat too much in each meal, but i eat 4-5 times per day.

Should i do exercises or walk, or should i just stop eating too much? Or both? What do you think. I know it's annoying to be fat at the age of 19. So i want to lose weight fast.

Thanks for any help

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

Both. Cut back on junk food. Cut out snacks and calorie drinks and only drink water. Limit sugar and start working out few times a week or twenty minutes a day. I lost weight this way. Then when you get to the weight you are satisfied at, then you can add more calories to your diet to maintain your weight and keep your new diet.

The reason why people always gain it all back is because they think diets are temporary and they stop doing them and their weight comes back on so they think diets don't work and any exercises. You just have to keep doing them to keep your new body.

Also eat smaller portions of food. Like use smaller plates, and smaller bowls. That will help you eat less.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

First off, don't try tomlose weight, try to lose fat.
Waaaaaaay to many people lose lots of weight but still look fat because most of it was muscle they lost.

Basically what you should do is find out how many macronutrients you should be eating and how many calories. You can use online calculators or talk to a dietician. From your maintenance calories (the amount you need to eat to sustain the body masa you are currently at) reduce by 15-20%. Do not drop more than this or your body will conserve fat and burn only muscle.
Couple this with exercises. Weight training is the most effective, as it burns as many calories during the activity as cardio, but continues burning far after and increases your metabolism. You can add in some light cardio as well to speed it up.
Hope this helps!
If you need advice on what sort of exercise, you can ask me.

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2017, 4:07 pm

Awkward wrote:
Hi all.

Currently I weigh 97 kilograms. This means i'm overweight. But I decided to lose weight. How can i do this? I don't eat regularly. I dont eat too much in each meal, but i eat 4-5 times per day.

Should i do exercises or walk, or should i just stop eating too much? Or both? What do you think. I know it's annoying to be fat at the age of 19. So i want to lose weight fast.

Thanks for any help

I have Type 2 Diabetes. The drug I was on for a fe years, Glyburide, put ~20 pounds on me. The one previous to that, Diamicron, did the same thing.

Now that I'm on Invokana, I can maintain my weight and keep blood sugar into normal range.

Also, I have many kidney stones. While researching how to dissolve stones, I saw a video on YouTube that said to drink lemonade.

I went from being 190 pounds, down to 169. I was 163 in high school, so I'm happy to be closer to that.

You did not say what your height is. If you're 93 kilos and tall like 6 foot 2 inches, then that might be good. If you're 5 feet 0 inches, then that might be a problem, unless you're a short bodybuilder and that's all muscle.

Good luck on your finding how to lose weight.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 7:54 pm

If the OP restricts his refined carb intake, the body will be forced to burn off his fat reserves and will lose weight. beware of losing more than 4-5#/week, as that can stress the body and mess up electrolytes. 10-15#/month weight loss is a safe amount. daily exercise is very important, but it doesn't have to be marathon-level, one should just find some hilly place and walk at a fast pace [like one is late for a meeting] up and down this hills for a half-hour or so, until you break a sweat, sweating is important.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:32 pm

Actually, you what you really want to do is to trim your waistline, which you can keep track of with a flexible tape measure.

Walking is an excellent exercise. A practical way to exercise is to park away from the store entrances where the parking lot is empty and spend a couple extra minutes walking to where you need to go. This also reduces the stress involved in trying to get a "good" parking spot. As well as just walking around to take in the neighborhood.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:37 pm

for those who wanna walk on anything other than soft grassy ground, I can't stress enough the importance of getting quality cushioning supportive shoes.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:45 pm

I don't know but try not eating so frequently. And avoid eating carbs with each meal. Afterall if fat metabolism stops when your blood sugar levels are up and you are burning carbs for energy you wont be burning off your body fat will you?

Not saying you should avoid carbs, just dont keep eating them all the time!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:46 pm

a good shorthand is to avoid all white foods [sugar, corn, potatoes, rice, floury stuff]. avoid alcohol and fruit juices.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

I lost a lot of weight swimming. Not only the activity burned calories but it also made me be more mindful about my eating habits, as I couldn't eat rightly before going to swim nor could go to it without hadn't eat anything for long time. I got a lot better with anxiety eating as it relaxed me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 8:49 pm

when I was able to swim regularly, I was in the best shape of my life. my high school clothing fit loosely on my lean frame. I miss those days. :|

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:00 pm

I also walk 10.000 steps daily, I use an app on my phone to count my steps. It's fun and it motivates me to walk on the weekend.

I didn't change much on the kind of food I eat, I still eat a lot of carbs and sweets and I want to change it, but I guess it's better to solve a thing for time. So after holidays, I'll start to cut on this things slowly.

I already dropped 15kg in more or less 6 months, but I spend two months of it without exercising because I broke my leg meanwhile, so I gain weight, and loose it again. I plan to lose more 20kg in the next 6 months.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:01 pm

when one gets to be a senior, exercise along no longer is sufficient to keep the pounds off.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

I guess I'm still not a senior. This summer my waistline got down to 27 inches!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 9:44 pm

BTDT wrote:
I guess I'm still not a senior. This summer my waistline got down to 27 inches!

i'm [nicely :) ] envious of your good health. I suppose I might be a bit hard on myself, as i'm 6'3" and the last time I had a waist like that was in the army and that was only because they starved us troops.

Kiki1256
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2017, 10:14 am

Be accountable. Eat with other people. Subtly pay attention to your friends who are in good shape and their eating and exercise habits.

My super-healthy friends actually eat whatever they want, but they eat it shamelessly and only when they’re hungry—they have a healthy relationship with food. And they exercise—a lot!! !! They don’t diet at all, they just play sports, run, enjoy life, enjoy food and exercise, and have fun! They don’t give a s**t! They do the opposite of what you’d expect them to do in terms of diet and exercise.

I’m trying to be like them, just enjoy life, be healthy and have fun.