Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2017, 10:37 am

I work Tue-Sat so my days off are Sunday and Monday. Because of that I only got a two day weekend for Christmas instead of 3 days like everyone else. My parents wanted to go out of town to visit some family but since I couldn't make the trip there and back in only two days they decided to stay here with me. I asked my manager if I could take the 26th off because then I could go out of town with them but he said no. It's our "blackout period" where nobody's allowed to ask time off during the holidays. But then I come in today and find out that my manager is taking the day off. I asked one of the other managers about it and his answer was "He's a manager. You're not." Is that fair? I feel like if my boss is going to say we HAVE to come in on a certain day then he should HAVE to come in too.

FerrariFan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2017, 9:30 am

I understand where you are coming from on this, but its a simple fact of life. The higher up the "food chain" you go, the more liberties you have with it. Some bosses will be harder working than others, while another may be off doing his own thing. There may also be things you don't know about. Maybe his boss gave him that day for another day that he worked extra? Maybe its to make up for the longer days he works as a manager? Or maybe its just that he's a jerk?

I don't know, but once upon a time I was working a lot and had days where my managers weren't around. I took it as a sign they trusted me to take care of things. I know most days they were there before me and left after I did. Now, I am in the position of being the boss/manager and I am here MUCH earlier and let my teams go MUCH earlier than I ever leave. I am ALWAYS the last one in the building, even here later than my current bosses. So, I don't mind if every once in a while I am out for a day or two here or there or even leave earlier than some of my teams.

Don't be upset about it, just realize that there may be more to the situation than you are aware of.

FF

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2017, 10:05 am

It's natural that there are different rules for people in different positions; that's the way it goes in most places. As for it being fair... well, the definition of "fair" depends on a person, doesn't it?

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:30 am

Just to give my thoughts as a manager. (I saw this a couple of days ago and have been thinking about it. Sorry for late reply.)

If there is no business need for your boss to be there, but there is a business need for you to be there... then from a purely factual perspective... This makes sense. The company needs you to work, but they don't need him.

From an employee engagement perspective, a boss should probably be more careful with something like this. If he worked for me and you told me about this situation I'd probably have a talk with him, but not reprimand him. Likely I would coach the boss to be more clear about the importance of front line people during the black-out period so that rather than just telling you "it's a black out period you can't do it" the boss would remind you why the business benefits from having you there.

The problem is, a lot of people don't communicate the business need. I think it's because they get too tied up in the emotional and relationship side of things and they can't just blurt out the facts. However, blurting out the facts often is a good way to meet people's emotional needs.

In case it helps, being enough of a self-directed employee that there is a business need to have you there, but no business need to have your boss there... that's a good thing! You're a good employee if your boss can make this kind of mistake.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 8:23 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
It's our "blackout period" where nobody's allowed to ask time off during the holidays. But then I come in today and find out that my manager is taking the day off. I asked one of the other managers about it and his answer was "He's a manager. You're not." Is that fair?

= You should have asked to take the day off earlier.

And yes, managers can do whatever they want in the commercial world.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2018, 8:21 am

The working hours or days from my boss is different from mine. Sometimes my boss works at the same location as I, and sometimes she is free or works at a different location of the school. She is not responsible to me when and what hours she works and does not work.