Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2017, 5:43 pm

I see a lot of people ordering those Google Home things and I'm wondering if they're worth buying. What do you guys think? What exactly do they do?

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

I just got an Echo Plus at Christmas. So far it's playing music, telling me jokes, and telling me I'm pretty...but I've ordered some electrical outlet adaptors so I can turn lights on/off with voice commands, and I'm researching getting a thermostat so I can control my home's heat/AC as well.

I'm not going to get door locks that work with it until I know a great deal more about the security of the device.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2018, 7:32 pm

I just use Google Assistant on my phone, can't see a reason to buy Google Home.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2018, 8:49 am

I have an Echo Dot. It reminds me twice a day to take my medications, interfaces with Google Calendar, can set timers and alarms, and has a 'to-do' list. It can play ambient sounds like a rainstorm or non-verbal music like "liquid Mind" when I need to decrease sensory input. It also answers my profoundly stupid questions, like "what day is it?" without becoming angry, or ever sounding condescending or patronizing.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2018, 11:52 am

get an amazon echo dot i think there better a google home is the same as google assistant on android

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 12:04 pm

i cant speak to save my life so until it can read your mind instead of voice i might consider it, but there are other things like costs that I cannot meet in the short term

ibmat5170
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jan 2018, 10:46 am

I personally think these Google Home / Amazon Echo things are MOSTLY stupid. I had an Echo and I sold it because I only used it to set a timer when I put something in the oven since our oven doesnt have a timer and I forget about things and burn them. To fully integrate all the features you have to be a rich snob or have a credit card. Thats because you have to buy a bunch more stuff to get the echo to do things like turn off your lights or make a phone call or whatever. Without all that, its just Siri in a box with a nice speaker attached, and an RGB LED halo to show you its emotions. I'd rather pick up my phone and type than ask questions out loud and I'd rather use an app that turns off the lights than say "Alexa turn off the lights".

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 12:44 pm

Don't forget that it is always recording what you say and the activities you do (by the noise you make).

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

Personally I would not have one in the house. I find them incredibly creepy and invasive. Not only is all your information channeled back to the makers but they are absolutely hackable. Would you leave all your doors and windows open for anyone to watch you? These devices are the digital version of doing that. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2018, 7:52 am

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 12:53 pm

I am probably on so many list by now between government agencies, I simply don't care... May as well hide in plain sight.