Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2017, 4:36 pm

I love me some Reeses Puffs and Captain Crunch but I never eat them anymore because they don't have enough protein and I'm hungry again an hour afterwards. But then I thought: what if I had them for dessert? Just a bowl of cereal and milk instead of a slice of cake or pie or a bowl of ice cream. Would that be healthier than having actual dessert for dessert?

Phrygian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2017, 5:57 am

Hmm..

Neither cake, cereal or ice cream has any vitamins or minerals. The cereal might have slightly more protein only because of the milk. The cake is probably the most calorie dense of the three, but of course it depends on portion size too.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:43 pm

Phrygian wrote:
Neither cake, cereal or ice cream has any vitamins or minerals.

None whatsoever? That can't be true. There are definitely some types of cereal that have lots of vitamins. Some are fortified.

OP, depends on what you mean by "healthy." Food doesn't need to have lots of protein to be beneficial. If you want a good dessert that has protein, try a protein bar or make a desert with whole grain wheat and/or protein powder.

MartynRich
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jan 2018, 7:58 am

These types of cereals aren’t healthy full stop. Sorry

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2018, 10:58 pm

It's healthier/fewer calories and sugar to eat a cup of those cereals instead of a slice of cake, plus there are some random vitamins and minerals thrown in. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 1:48 am

FunkyPunky wrote:
I love me some Reeses Puffs and Captain Crunch but I never eat them anymore because they don't have enough protein and I'm hungry again an hour afterwards. But then I thought: what if I had them for dessert? Just a bowl of cereal and milk instead of a slice of cake or pie or a bowl of ice cream. Would that be healthier than having actual dessert for dessert?

As someone else pointed out, these kinds of cereals aren't healthy at all.

However, your post reminds me of one time when I was a kid and a couple of the Japanese exchange students we had staying with us one Summer looked at us like 8O when we were eating typical American style sugary cereals for breakfast. They told us they eat them in Japan, too, but not for breakfast.. too much sugar.. for dessert.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2018, 3:08 pm

Ha! :D Like others have said, there is nothing wrong with eating cereals. When I was a treenager, I ate loads of cereals for breakfast. My favorite ones were the regular Kellogg's corn flakes and the Kellogg's Honey Smacks. Yes, I remember, especially in Switzerland during the ski and snowboard vacations, I used to eat a lot of Smacks. 8)

The regular ones need some extra sugar; the Smacks can do without any added sugar. They both taste delicious with soy or almond drink. :heart:

However, I don't advice to eat only cereals. Variation in diet is paramount. Different fruits, vegables, protein etc. :salut:

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.