Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

IanDLBZF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Dec 2017, 10:40 pm

I am currently struggling to find a suitable career path for after graduation in May 2018, and by that time I will have graduated with a Bachelor’s of Arts in Computer Information Systems at Beacon College in Leesburg, FL. I am currently unsure as where to start to find a job based on my major, I have tried searching for internships but those opportunities have turned me down or failed to contact me. I’ve tried using the career center at my college but they have been of little to no help for me so far. My parents’ goals have been to get me to be an independent adult and as matter of fact I have lived on my own for the past 3 years, during the school year.
Where do I start? What are my options? Whom do I go to for help?

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2018, 4:45 pm

IanDLBZF wrote:
Where do I start? What are my options? Whom do I go to for help?

Where you start:

Start by doing research. LinkedIn could be a great place to start. Try to find companies or people who could be your future employer. If you can find a company you want to work for, you can see if the have any job posts and then write an application. Writing the application can be difficult, because you lack experience and only have your college experience. So, you spend some more time researching the company and the specific job. Network with people you went to college with, and ask for advice with anyone who has a career going. You can also use WrongPlanet for career advice.

Your options:

You have a lot of options. You can work with IT in many different ways, but you may be troubled by your autism. Make sure that you know and recognize your autistic traits: Perhaps you have social issues, or perhaps you can't multitask. You may have to explain your autism to your future employer, but you may also simply hide your autism to begin with.

Whom do you go to for help:

I don't know, but there are other WrongPlanet users who can help you with that. Getting help from a job counsellor could be a good idea.

Good luck getting a job :wink:

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2018, 5:06 am

By the way, you can read the book "Aspergers on The Job" by Rudy Simone.

IanDLBZF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jan 2018, 12:34 pm

Thanks. :)