Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2018, 3:30 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Michael829 wrote:
I like the Carpenters' song, and I agree with its sentiments. I had no idea about that side of the amazing Carpenters. I couldn't believe it when I heard the expression "interstellar police". Yes, but, as I said, if, within traveling or communicating distance, there were anyone inclined to explore and help, we'd have heard from someone long before now. So there won't be any help.

I beg to differ on that

If a powerful, highly advanced, civilization were protecting us, then things would be very different on Earth, from how they are.

Michael829

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 12:19 am

Michael829 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Michael829 wrote:
I like the Carpenters' song, and I agree with its sentiments. I had no idea about that side of the amazing Carpenters. I couldn't believe it when I heard the expression "interstellar police". Yes, but, as I said, if, within traveling or communicating distance, there were anyone inclined to explore and help, we'd have heard from someone long before now. So there won't be any help.

I beg to differ on that

If a powerful, highly advanced, civilization were protecting us, then things would be very different on Earth, from how they are.

Michael829

things are kind of miraculously perfect for the earth.
so many confluences of extremely unlikely circumstances occurred to make life possible here.
even the cataclysmic theia impact that produced the moon was just right, and without the moon. the axis of the earth would be in a wild wobble in our solar orbit so that seasons would never occur as they do with our stable spin now.

wow what a piece of luck huh? and our distance from the sun is in the middle of the goldilocks zone, and the iron composition means we have a magnetic defense against incoming solar radiation and and and etc.....it goes on.

it may very well be possible that the earth is the only place in the universe these thousands of extremely unlikely precursors to life occurred and we are indeed the only conscious life in the universe.
it would satisfy the clergy in medieval times who saw the earth as the center of the universe and pronounced as heresy the suggestion of anything other than the divine concept of geocentricity.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 12:43 am

you know the medieval thoughts about the stars were that they were little holes in some giant curtain that veiled the earth at night.
like daylight shining through pinholes on the blanket that god thew over the world at night. which of course rotated around the earth.

anyway, to continue consideration of translocation, i have decided that if it was possible to compress a complete blueprint of every atom in your body into a packet of information, then it is much easier to deal with.
but the snag about that is that at the destination, there would also have to be a scanner to analyse the complete blueprint of the "air" that will be traded for the body of a person a or tool or whatever.
it is only in a perfect vacuum that any packet can be instantly rematerialized.

how do we get the scanner there? can't use translocation for the first step.
and further more, how would we ever know where to go?
we cant see with sensation the current state of any place, so how would we know where to aim for?

all these things may be answered as evolution progresses but for now i must give up thinking about the bloody matter because it bugs me in a way.