Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

chromanebula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jan 2018, 1:33 am

I don't have any full-blown diagnoses other than autism spectrum disorder, but I have symptoms of depression, anxiety and OCD. Frequently those symptoms manifest as religious depression, anxiety and obsessions. Without going into too much detail right now, I'll say that I am often angry at myself for real or perceived failings, and worry about whether I am a "good person." I fear that God will punish myself or others, but I don't use compulsions. Rather, something is keeping me away from taking steps to "prevent" that. It could just be me being lazy/not caring about my neighbors, but I could also be afraid that if I start, it will spiral out of control. Every night I am up late; even when I have nothing to do, I will create something to do to delay my going to bed. I feel like I am trying to run away from something, although I'm not sure what. It could be the fact that I journal at the end of every day (which reveals everything I did or failed to do), or it could be my nightmares.

Here's a fact page on religious OCD: https://ocdla.com/scrupulosity-ocd-religion-faith-belief-2107

Can anyone else relate?

P.S. Mods: Feel free to move this to the Haven if you think it would fit better there.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 9:50 pm

chromanebula wrote:
I don't have any full-blown diagnoses other than autism spectrum disorder, but I have symptoms of depression, anxiety and OCD. Frequently those symptoms manifest as religious depression, anxiety and obsessions. Without going into too much detail right now, I'll say that I am often angry at myself for real or perceived failings, and worry about whether I am a "good person." I fear that God will punish myself or others, but I don't use compulsions. Rather, something is keeping me away from taking steps to "prevent" that. It could just be me being lazy/not caring about my neighbors, but I could also be afraid that if I start, it will spiral out of control. Every night I am up late; even when I have nothing to do, I will create something to do to delay my going to bed. I feel like I am trying to run away from something, although I'm not sure what. It could be the fact that I journal at the end of every day (which reveals everything I did or failed to do), or it could be my nightmares.

Here's a fact page on religious OCD: https://ocdla.com/scrupulosity-ocd-religion-faith-belief-2107

Can anyone else relate?

P.S. Mods: Feel free to move this to the Haven if you think it would fit better there.

As a child I struggled with OCD and religion, namely my OCD required a much higher and obsessive quantum of proof that I was going to Heaven when I died than the average Christian. This resulted as you call it "religious depression" along with other negative emotions. The struggles with OCD along with abuse from my religious father, were the catalyst for what caused me to embark on a journey to reevaluate my beliefs, think critically and ultimately cease to believe in God or any religion for that matter. I was freed of the fear, anxiety, guilt, self-loating and shame that was brought about in my life from religion. It certainly didn't happen overnight though.

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2018, 5:58 am

My main type of OCD is moral scrupulosity. So, I have scrupulosity issues that are morality-based rather than religion-based. I always worry about doing "bad" things, and my main compulsion has always been confessing things I've said or did that I think are "bad" to people I trust (mainly my mom). A good example of moral scrupulosity that I read about online is someone who accidentally took a pen home from work and worries that is "stealing" and they'll be fired for that infraction. I have lots of obsessions about losing my job in particular.