Intel processors are dead, so I have an AMD question

Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 6:12 pm

XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
It sounds like you had a freshman logic course and flunked it.

You're too predictable. Try harder.

You need to learn some logic.

The stupidest thing about your argument is that Russell's Teapot analogy has absolutely no applicability to the question of whether AMD's processors might be vulnerable to Meltdown. That's even worse than the realization that AMD is unable to make the claims that you are making. The most they can say at this time is that they believe that their CPUs are not vulnerable to Meltdown.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 9:18 pm

kokopelli wrote:
The stupidest thing about your argument is that Russell's Teapot analogy has absolutely no applicability to the question of whether AMD's processors might be vulnerable to Meltdown.

Well, it seems that you're just beyond redemption. Good luck.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 7:12 am

XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
The stupidest thing about your argument is that Russell's Teapot analogy has absolutely no applicability to the question of whether AMD's processors might be vulnerable to Meltdown.

Well, it seems that you're just beyond redemption. Good luck.

It's one thing to say "Russell's Teapot" as if they are some kind of magic words. It's another thing to show that the argument actually applies in any given situation.

Why don't you try to argue the point instead of just making assertions? Prove to us that "Russell's Teapot" applies. Prove to us that AMD CPUs are not vulnerable to Meltdown (something that AMD cannot do at present).

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 11:09 am

kokopelli wrote:
It's one thing to say "Russell's Teapot" as if they are some kind of magic words. It's another thing to show that the argument actually applies in any given situation.

It applies to every single situation where you say that something exists or may exist without any proofs. And, as I said, good luck. Go read some good rational thinking book.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 2:57 pm

XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

It applies to every single situation where you say that something exists or may exist without any proofs. And, as I said, good luck. Go read some good rational thinking book.

No, it doesn't.

The analogy applies only to a situation in which someone says that we should assume a statement to be true simply because it cannot be proven false.

If it was as you claim, he would not have chosen as his example a china teapot in orbit well before we had any space shots. The only ways that such a teapot could be there is if it spontaneously formed there or if someone with space flight, not humans at the time, had dropped it off out there.

Furthermore, it would be an issue for you, not me. You are the one claiming, without any proof at all, that the vulnerability does not affect AMD CPUs. All AMD will say on the matter for now is that they believe it doesn't -- they cannot rule it out for sure.

I'm making no claim that Russell's Teapot analogy would apply to even if it meant what you think it means. I'm not making any claim that the Meltdown vulnerability affects AMD CPUs or that it doesn't -- only that we do not know for sure. That is, there is no proof, at this time, that it doesn't affect AMD CPUs. Neither do we have any proof that it does or does not affect them.

It doesn't surprise me that since you do not understand Russell's Teapot analogy, you can't apply it correctly.

For what it's worth, I recognize that you can't possibly prove that Meltdown does not affect AMD CPUs. It is not enough to have tried an attack written for another CPU and found that it didn't work on AMD CPUs, you have to show that no such attack of that type will work on AMD CPUs. The only way you can do that, other than trying all possible attacks, is by a very thorough analysis of the internal logic of each CPU AMD makes to show that there is no possible set of conditions that could expose memory to a process that it is not entitled to get. Even if you were AMD's lead expert on their CPUs, that would be an extremely formidable task. For you, it would be pretty much impossible.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

kokopelli wrote:
No, it doesn't.

Go read the freaking book. Stop wasting my time.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 4:50 pm

XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
No, it doesn't.

You don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. Your understanding of logic is clearly very poor. You don't understand the analogy and so you use it wrongly.

AMD doesn't claim that their CPUs are not vulnerable to Meltdown, but you do. Why is that, do you suppose? Do you know something AMD doesn't? Or do you just not have the logical capacity to understand what they are saying.

They say that they don't believe that their CPUs are vulnerable -- they clearly cannot prove that or they would have stated it in stronger terms like those they use for their GPUs which they unequivocally say are not effected by Meltdown. They would love to be able to claim that they aren't affected, but cannot.

If you can learn anything from this, your time is not being wasted. if you cannot learn from it, then you should go back to playing video games.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2018, 12:04 pm

kokopelli wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
No, it doesn't.

You don't have the foggiest idea of what you are talking about. Your understanding of logic is clearly very poor. You don't understand the analogy and so you use it wrongly.

AMD doesn't claim that their CPUs are not vulnerable to Meltdown, but you do. Why is that, do you suppose? Do you know something AMD doesn't? Or do you just not have the logical capacity to understand what they are saying.

They say that they don't believe that their CPUs are vulnerable -- they clearly cannot prove that or they would have stated it in stronger terms like those they use for their GPUs which they unequivocally say are not effected by Meltdown. They would love to be able to claim that they aren't affected, but cannot.

If you can learn anything from this, your time is not being wasted. if you cannot learn from it, then you should go back to playing video games.

How about you kokopelli and Xenomind go to this link and download Inspectre and see for yourself. It's free.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

The results from this tell me that on my 4th Gen Intel processor, it's protected from Meltdown but not Spectre and all I'm waiting for is the firmware update on the motherboard and the CPU for Spectre.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 1:13 pm

jikijiki53 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
No, it doesn't.

How about you kokopelli and Xenomind go to this link and download Inspectre and see for yourself. It's free.

The results from this tell me that on my 4th Gen Intel processor, it's protected from Meltdown but not Spectre and all I'm waiting for is the firmware update on the motherboard and the CPU for Spectre.

For some of us the link is rather useless -- you have to use Microsoft Windows for the link to work.

Also, while AMD processors are believed to not be vulnerable to Meltdown, it cannot be ruled out completely at this point in time. We cannot say that all variants of Meltdown have been discovered.

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

25 Jan 2018, 4:15 pm

kokopelli wrote:
jikijiki53 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
XenoMind wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
No, it doesn't.

For some of us the link is rather useless -- you have to use Microsoft Windows for the link to work.

Also, while AMD processors are believed to not be vulnerable to Meltdown, it cannot be ruled out completely at this point in time. We cannot say that all variants of Meltdown have been discovered.

I actually am using Windows. If it doesn't work, search up "InSpectre" (without quotes). That's why it should be tested if it is the case or not, however, there are different kinds of AMD processors (Like Intel) so it really depends on the processor's design and firmware.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 9:02 am

There are so many better things to argue about than which microprocessor company has more STD's in it's product.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 12:11 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
There are so many better things to argue about than which microprocessor company has more STD's in it's product.

Yeah. Let's talk about Pokemon instead :lol: /s

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2018, 12:12 pm

jikijiki53 wrote:

Won't work, I'm on Intel now.