Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DivaR8ch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2018, 8:20 am

Hello, I'm almost positive that this topic has come up before (or perhaps is even a frequent topic), but I haven't figured out searching the board yet. One of our providers suggested that Montessori might be a good placement for our kiddo, to help reduce potential stress and anxiety associated with his perfectionist streak. He really seems to love academic work, but I can't help but wonder if the materials based work in Montessori might be more appealing.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 8:43 am

Assuming your child is of preschool age then yes the structure/routine and self directed learning in the Montessori curriculum could be well suited to your child's interests and needs.
There are other approaches that I would recommend such as High/Scope, this also encourages self directed learning, with a focus on collaboration between children and the teacher.

To support your child's development more broadly a play based setting with a Montessori option could provide additional real life opportunities for imaginative play, and your child's emotional and social development.

It depends on where you are based, but a well educated early years teacher in a progressive setting may be able to provide an individual experience for your son, based on their knowledge of multiple curricula, theory and your sons interests and needs.

DivaR8ch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2018, 8:52 am

I should probably add - he is 7. Still in the early childhood age range, but a late start for Montessori.

He's currently enrolled in an "advanced academics" type school for students with IQs above the 90th %ile. The person who did his assessment suggested that the academic focus of the school may interact with his perfectionism streak in a way that creates anxiety.

On the other hand, he absolutely loves academic work, and will entertain himself for hours with math books.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 9:09 am

Anxiety might always be part of his life experience, though as he is so young you can assist him with developing balanced personal coping strategies now as preparation for adult life skills.
Perfectionism can be a way of controlling his experiences, but it isn't going to be a reliable coping strategy.

I feel that while mastery of self directed academic areas boosts emotional development in one sense, the preparation for life skills should be a long term focus for children on the spectrum as much of our emotional wellness is linked with social experiences. Montessori could indeed be a good fit.