Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 3:14 am

Veggie Farmer wrote:
I went to the farmer’s market today and got worn out just walking around!

The surprises are part of the fun, aren’t they :D I love when the characters take over and I’m just along for the ride. My area is science fiction. I’ve done dimension travel, time travel, alien invasions.. this new one involves flying saucers. I’m excited this current book at least starts out on Earth (Washington DC in the late ‘90s) so I don’t have to invent all the details of every location. The last book wore me out after creating a whole alien culture. I’ll stick with real places for a little while longer. I’m learning all sorts of fun facts as I go, the US Capital is a fascinating building.

On Zon, the bare minimum for a full-length novel is 70k words. I usually come in around 100 - 110k. I can tend to be wordy - I wrote a multi-chapter fanfic that hit 35k. It was such a great experience!

Here’s a fun fact: the longest written work in English is a fan fiction written about, of all things, a Mario Brothers video game. When last I checked in, it had hit three million words and was still growing!
My characters take over too. My main one keeps insisting he's a Dickens fan, I'm going to have to read Dickens :| .

Making a new world must have been fun, what kind of look does it have?

I remember the 90's.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 8:05 am

Dickens is very entertaining....but dealt with tough issues.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 8:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Dickens is very entertaining....but dealt with tough issues.

And very long and I really don't have time right now, and, and, and I don't want to. But I'm going to haft to because my hero (that's his place in the story, he isn't actually heroic) keeps on about it when I'm writing and otherwise I/he (it's getting harder to know which one of us is writing this book) is going to make a mistake about something Dickens related and I'm the one who'll get the blame (so unfair).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:07 am

Is there a porcine character in your book?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is there a porcine character in your book?

You've guessed it, it's the story of a piggy from the East End who joins the police force and becomes the first piggy Detective Inspector at Scotland Yard. It's called 'Piggy of the Yard'. :pig:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:25 am

I’d probably enjoy it very much :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 9:37 am

Is Stratford considered the “East End?”

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2018, 11:03 am

I love Tale of Two Cities, but otherwise I’m not a big Dickens fan. I just started Les Miserables, its brilliant! I don’t get to read as often as I used to, and I can’t touch SF anymore. I can’t get into the story, I just see the author’s choices in writing technique.

Wow, a pig character! Is it common within your books mythology for animals to take on human roles, or is he unique?

Most of the last book took place on the alien asteroid/space station, so the scenery was just ... caves. My editor and I joked we’d end up with vitamin D deficiency by the time we were done. I only had one fully human main character, everyone else was hybrid or alien- it was heck punctuating dialogues with two wildly different, concurrent forms of communication. I purposely never described details of the physical characteristics of my aliens, beyond that humans considered them ugly. I thought my readers could do the job for themselves using their own imaginations. If you happen to be a Doctor Who fan, I picture them as grown-up Adiposes.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Is Stratford considered the “East End?”

I can't answer because the East End is east of the City (that's the financial city) but it's not defined merely geographically, there are attitudes, class, community, I think Stratford might have been but it's been revamped so now I don't know.

Ok, so now I have to make an apologise to everyone. I am sorry, but there is no piggy in my novel :oops: .

I will try very hard not tell porkies on this sight again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:16 pm

You were just messing with me, then, weren’t you, Fluffy? :twisted:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

In “Animal Farm,” some of the smartest characters were pigs.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:28 pm

Veggie Farmer wrote:
I love Tale of Two Cities, but otherwise I’m not a big Dickens fan. I just started Les Miserables, its brilliant! I don’t get to read as often as I used to, and I can’t touch SF anymore. I can’t get into the story, I just see the author’s choices in writing technique.

Wow, a pig character! Is it common within your books mythology for animals to take on human roles, or is he unique?
no, I was joking with kraftiekortie about the piggy, sorry. I kind of like the idea though, but I don't think it would stand up to full novel yet alone a series. Are your's all stand alones?

Quote:
Most of the last book took place on the alien asteroid/space station, so the scenery was just ... caves. My editor and I joked we’d end up with vitamin D deficiency by the time we were done. I only had one fully human main character, everyone else was hybrid or alien- it was heck punctuating dialogues with two wildly different, concurrent forms of communication. I purposely never described details of the physical characteristics of my aliens, beyond that humans considered them ugly. I thought my readers could do the job for themselves using their own imaginations.
Great, I hate it when writers describe every detail and don't allow the reader to contribute.
Quote:
If you happen to be a Doctor Who fan, I picture them as grown-up Adiposes.
No, I was terrified as a small child by Daleks, and back then they couldn't climb stairs.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In “Animal Farm,” some of the smartest characters were pigs.

And the meanest, but I'm a good little piggy, honest :pig: .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 1:36 pm

You’re definitely the type I would like to nuzzle snouts with :wink:

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2018, 2:47 pm

No pig? Whew! You had me a little worried there you were trying to pull off a really odd story!

Daleks never scared me, but weeping angels? yikes

I did one sequel, and swore I’d never try that again. Too much pressure to get the next book out fast. I’ve got the next three plotlines lined up, and they’re all standalones. As I think about it, one of the upcoming works involves a nest of wasps that achieves sentience. We’ll see if that flies, so to speak.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

Veggie Farmer wrote:
I did one sequel, and swore I’d never try that again. Too much pressure to get the next book out fast. I’ve got the next three plotlines lined up, and they’re all standalones.

Are they all going to be set on earth?

I'm hoping my series will be around 20-25 books long. I have quite a few of my plots, apart from book two, they are mostly just outlines. None of my ideas are right for book three though and I do like ideas to rummage around in my mind for a year at least before I start working on them properly.