Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

Veggie Farmer wrote:
I did one sequel, and swore I’d never try that again. Too much pressure to get the next book out fast. I’ve got the next three plotlines lined up, and they’re all standalones.

Are they all going to be set on earth?

I'm hoping my series will be around 20-25 books long. I have quite a few of my plots, apart from book two, they are mostly just outlines. None of my ideas are right for book three though and I do like ideas to rummage around in my mind for a year at least before I start working on them properly.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm

20-25! Wow, that’s impressive! You’re committed to those characters!

Hmm... Machines, the current one, is half-Earth, Wasps are fully on Earth, Romanov is mostly on Earth, but Pyramids is set on another planet.

Are you having a hard time with writng day to day details from a different time period? I’m getting stuck on the little things, like what cell phone reception was like in DC at the time. My memory apparently isn’t reliable, because I could have sworn I owned a flip phone in 98, but all the websites I just visited said I couldn’t have. I can google details like what phone models were popular, but its hard to capture the mood of the times. I’m binging old TVs but they don’t cover everything.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 4:08 pm

Veggie Farmer wrote:
20-25! Wow, that’s impressive! You’re committed to those characters!

Hmm... Machines, the current one, is half-Earth, Wasps are fully on Earth, Romanov is mostly on Earth, but Pyramids is set on another planet.

Are you having a hard time with writng day to day details from a different time period?
All the history books are Ewardian, WWI, or 1920's. It took me a while to get hold of things that were 1919, and some only just pre-war.
Quote:
I’m getting stuck on the little things, like what cell phone reception was like in DC at the time.
Yes, I got into a bit of a mess with the Spanish telephone system of 1920 (unconnected) but I managed to work it into the plot and it made it better
Quote:
My memory apparently isn’t reliable, because I could have sworn I owned a flip phone in 98, but all the websites I just visited said I couldn’t have. I can google details like what phone models were popular, but its hard to capture the mood of the times. I’m binging old TVs but they don’t cover everything.

The internet is a bit of a benefit/problem for me, there are so many photos wrongly labeled circa 1919 that I'm sticking to ones in books for anything more than general. Luckily I got hold of copies of Lost London and Lost England 1880-1930, they are full of old photographs of the buildings, and there are quite a few of the people in them as well.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2018, 4:35 pm

You have taken your research very seriously, but I guess you have to, since your readers will expect a historical series to be very accurate. I claim some SF leeway, especially considering my heroes are a black-budget top-secret task force. All of their tech would be government-issued, next-gen prototypes ... so I need to see what came out a year or so after my time frame! Sigh, I’ll keep looking things up as issues arrive. Reality is hard. I think I’ll be glad to hop on the flying saucers when that part arrives.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 4:55 pm

Veggie Farmer wrote:
You have taken your research very seriously, but I guess you have to, since your readers will expect a historical series to be very accurate. I claim some SF leeway, especially considering my heroes are a black-budget top-secret task force. All of their tech would be government-issued, next-gen prototypes ... so I need to see what came out a year or so after my time frame! Sigh, I’ll keep looking things up as issues arrive. Reality is hard. I think I’ll be glad to hop on the flying saucers when that part arrives.

When I'm doing the research for book two, I bet I'll be thinking how much easier it would be if I'd gone with 'Piggy of the Scotland Yard' after all :D .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 4:12 pm

It is possible, however part of the reason I would like to start working is so I would have a reason to get out of the house more.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 4:51 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
It is possible, however part of the reason I would like to start working is so I would have a reason to get out of the house more.

This is very true, as long as you don't take on too much, a job can be benificial.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm

The question of loneliness comes up often in the farming/homesteading community, since we usually work alone. The best comment I’ve seen was the gentleman who declared he hasn’t been lonely since he placed a potted tomato seedling on his home office desk. He probably does need to get out more.

Sometimes even I need to get out and see other people, so I run errands to Rural King or Lowes. I’ll start conversations by asking for advice, which farmers are usually very happy to provide, so I gain useful knowledge as well as some limited company.