Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2007, 5:28 pm

Why is it assumed that children with Autism/Asperger Syndrome don't play Pretend when they are children?

I had an Imaginary Friend when I was 5 years old. My dad asked me who I was talking to and I became embarrassed because I was alone in the living room sitting on the couch. My dad was in the kitchen. I said "To myself." He said, "Well you're talking awful loud to be talking to Yourself." "So you need to stop that."

I continued to talk to my Imaginary Friend. My dad became angry and said, "I said Quit It!" and slappd me off of the couch. I ran to my room crying and embarrassed.

He also said that wasn't Normal and that other kids didn't do that. (later he told my mother this and asked her why I did that. My mother said she didn't know why and assured him that nothing was wrong.)

seasparrow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2007, 5:43 pm

Your mum is right. There is nothing wrong.

Most children have imaginary friends. I had one according to my mother and its perfectly natural and normal.

Remember though, having AS does not mean that you can not imagine.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 Jun 2007, 5:47 pm

my parents ignored me or either worked or sent me to a babysitters. my mom was a refridgerator mom. my stepdad was an abuser, i found ways of dealing with my "odditys" by going to my grandmas house were i could ESCAPE

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:01 pm

I had a whole world of imaginary cats. We had an imaginary castle and imaginary giant drainpipes to slide down. It was fun.
I still have imaginary friends now.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 6:03 pm

I played "pretend" all the time....strange thing is though I found it almost impossible to ever pretend with other children.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:04 pm

Shadowcat wrote:
Why is it assumed that children with Autism/Asperger Syndrome don't play Pretend when they are children?

I had an Imaginary Friend when I was 5 years old. My dad asked me who I was talking to and I became embarrassed because I was alone in the living room sitting on the couch. My dad was in the kitchen. I said "To myself." He said, "Well you're talking awful loud to be talking to Yourself." "So you need to stop that."

I continued to talk to my Imaginary Friend. My dad became angry and said, "I said Quit It!" and slappd me off of the couch. I ran to my room crying and embarrassed.

He also said that wasn't Normal and that other kids didn't do that. (later he told my mother this and asked her why I did that. My mother said she didn't know why and assured him that nothing was wrong.)

you know it wasn't your 'imaginary friend' that set your father off. It wasn't even your AS/Autism. It was how he felt about you being AS/Autistic that made him want to force you into a behavior that more suited his desire for your uniqueness to be more manageable.
Didn't necessarily mean he loved you any less. He is just a person, after all.

Merle

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 8:19 pm

NEWS FLASH

Nearly everything "THEY" say about Asperger's Syndrom is wrong!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Panzyo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2007, 8:25 pm

Sopho wrote:
I had a whole world of imaginary cats. We had an imaginary castle and imaginary giant drainpipes to slide down. It was fun.
I still have imaginary friends now.

I had imaginary-imaginary cats. A lot of the stuff I did as a child, I did because I thought you were supposed to. I made up imaginary friends because I thought you were supposed to. That's the same reason I carried a stuffed dinosaur with me everywhere, it's why I used to actually study for tests, it's why I did a lot of stuff. It took me awhile to decide "Screw what other people expect, I'm doing what I want!"

I definitely did pretend stuff, however. Only with my younger friends though. I had some friends who were my age (each one didn't usually last more than a year), but we normally played video games. I met two of my closest friends through my younger brother.

I trailed off a few times in there, but I probably made some points.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:01 pm

My son has a new imaginary friend every single day-I have to buy imaginary ice cream from the ice cream man when we get ice cream, and get special popsicles once in a while just for them all... lol. I play along when it's nothing too bizarre he's asking for. Yesterday he told me they need imaginary booster seats for the car, one for each of them-I had to draw the line, lol. Sheesh, he has 5-6 imaginary friends, no way I could fit all those booster seats into my car. He's been on the look-out for imaginary cops that might pull us over and see his imaginary friends out of the booster seats, lol. All of his imaginary friends are characters from his favorite shows-mostly from Blue's Clues though. I've honestly forgotten where his other friends came from...

When I was little, I had E.T. as an imaginary friend until I was about 12.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:08 pm

hi shadowcat!

how old are you?

i used to have lots of imaginary friends... nothin's wrong with you!

im sorry kids get into trouble for these kinds of things... but what you will have to learn is that most other people will find this "imaginary stuff" very strange... and it scares them... maybe cause it's they who have no imaginations.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Genius-Idiot
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jun 2007, 9:18 pm

nutbag wrote:
NEWS FLASH

Nearly everything "THEY" say about Asperger's Syndrom is wrong!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's noticed!

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 9:28 pm

I never had an imaginary friend until my parents encouraged me to, in order to help overcome my fear of... everything :P It used to be so bad that I wouldn't climb the stairs in my house on my own!

sweetpraline
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2007, 10:37 pm

I had imaginary friends. I also had inanimate object friends as well. I had several little friends made from hair curlers.

Hey! You got to do something when the other kids don't want to play with you.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:44 pm

Although my memory isn't the greatest... I think I had an imaginary band.

I think I played the drums in this band.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 10:44 pm

Although my memory isn't the greatest... I think I had an imaginary band.

I think I played the drums in this band.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 11:05 pm

Can an NT join in? The happiest memories of my childhood are the times that I played with my imaginary friend Rhea.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex