Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

auralucario7
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2018, 9:13 pm

Right now I am a senior in college with two semesters left, and am still dealing with a lot of social anxiety. The last few semesters I've fallen into kind of the same pitfalls each time. I tend to have a rough few weeks into the semester I have trouble keeping u with my work, my grades begin to slip, and I become depressed and shut myself away from people. I'm going into my last few semesters and I was wondering if anyone has any advice going in.

I'm also dealing with social anxiety. I have one club I go to each week and another eSports club I almost never attend. I have a few friends and a fair number of acquaintances, but I still want to meet more people and not be so anxious around new people. I also am uncomfortable trying to make friends with some of my acquaintances. I just want to try to feel more comfortable around other people and with myself going on. Has anyone else gone through something similar? If so, how were you able to break it?

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 1:15 pm

Well, you are already on the right track with the clubs in my opinion.

I would make an effort to go to each of the clubs you attend as long as it won't interfere with deadlines for work. From there try and partake in conversations with the people there. It should be easy since they are all there with the same interest. Clubs for me were a reason to get out of my room and take a break from whatever schoolwork was looming over me.

I do not know what you are majoring in, but if you have a declared major chances are you will be taking a lot of the same prerequisites with the same students. As my username would suggest, I majored in Theatre, and a lot of the classes for my major had the same people in them. That familiarity was comforting for me.

A key point I have found is to make yourself someone others would want to be around. If there is one person who doesn't participate or at least listen with the conversations of their acquaintances, give one word answers for everything, and doesn't appear to have a welcoming demeanor, would you want to spend extended periods of time with them and call them a friend? Or would you rather be friends with the person who has made it clear they are approachable?

With dealing with social anxiety, in my experience if you really want to better yourself and make more friends, your drive to do so will overpower and fear. I'm not saying that you won't feel any anxiety at all, but it is possible.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need clarification or want to know anything else.