Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 1:25 am

Somewhat based from a thread in this section created by Sly(member shoutout), I need advice about shaving, especially from other men here. I need to know what the "proper" amount of times to shave per week and how to actually maintain some facial hair growth, with as little overhead/supplies as possible. I don't like having to spend money on things where I can be more frugal and make it happen with less overheads.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 2:02 am

I usually shave daily, or second daily on the odd occasion I'm feeling lazy.
Can't help you with maintaining facial hair, I've never done it as I don't think it would suit me.
No need to spend much money, warm water, soap lathered up on your hand, and a decent razor is all you need. Total cost would be no more than a couple of dollars a month.
Here's a cut and paste from what I said in Sly's thread, something that still works for me:

My tips for a good shave with a blade:
Always, always go with the grain. Not sideways, not against it in an attempt to get rid of prickles. Good technique makes going against the grain for whatever reason unnecessary.
Skin prep is paramount. Try to soak the hairs with hot water for several minutes. Hot wet cloths or frequent wetting in a hot steamy shower. Aim for 5 minutes of pre-wetting for best results. This makes the hairs swell and lose strength.
Use a decent quality blade, not necessarily particularly expensive. I find the Gillette and Schick 2 blade safety razors the best. Plain label "home brand" "budget" razors are the worst I've ever used, followed closely by Wilkinson Sword 3 blade ones which were nearly as bad and had a tendency to "bite".
Blades last a lot longer than you think! I think most people throw them away too soon because they seem blunt after they get gummed up with oil and skin flakes. A good rinse under hot water gets rid of most of this gunk, a rub against the grain of an old towel gets the stubborn gunk out and brings the razor up good as new. I get about a month out of a blade, that's being used for both face and top of head.
I find lathered up soap and also hair conditioner better than shaving cream. Less is more or it will just clog up the blade as well.
Long smooth slow strokes causes less skin irritation than short stabbing like movements. One pass is usually enough.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jan 2018, 2:41 am

When I was in high-skewl I would shave every skewl night because it was a Catholic one that had a strict dress code. I grew a beard & mustache for a couple years after I graduated. I used an electric razor to trim my beard & mustache 1ce or 2wice a year. I shaved it off cuz I was doing a lot of outside chores & the summers in Louisiana get extremely hot & the facial hair made me hotter, more itchy & more sweaty. I haven't had a beard or mustache since. I usually shave about 1ce a week & my facial hair is growing out some. I have a low vision disorder & a tremor disorder that makes shaving alot more difficult for me than the average person. I shave in the shower by feel & pass again while looking in the mirror after I'm out. I use disposable razors or blades & I haven't found any that work great for my hair but they work OK.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 1:03 am

Another way to save big time is to invest in an old-school chrome safety razor. 30 to 40 bucks on Amazon, but it will last you the rest of your life. Merkur, a German company, makes the best ones for the money. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're used to plastic multi-blades. It's a closer shave, though, so you can go two days easily. The Merkur blades are super high-quality, and are a lot less expensive to replace than Gillette. Plus, they are extremely easy to clean because you just twist the handle and the blade opens up.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 3:54 pm

While having a bath I throw jugs of water over my face before coming out. Then after quickly drying my body I leave my face wet and get straight to shaving off using a razor with no other products. It takes longer but a lot of money is saved. Take it easy though. You want to be a bit more gentle than if you were using products. I've shaved like this for half a year now.

The Musings Of The Lost
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jan 2018, 11:16 am

I just shave whenever I can feel the little hairs starting to grow out

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm

I shave whilst taking a shower. So about daily. I can go a few days without shaving, since I don't grow that fast. I use two forms of lather. One to soften skin, and then I rinse that off. Then I put on a foamy lather (shaving cream). And I get a much closer shave that way. You should get the skin soft under the hot water . I use a good razor and change the blade once a month.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:13 pm

Redxk wrote:
Another way to save big time is to invest in an old-school chrome safety razor. 30 to 40 bucks on Amazon, but it will last you the rest of your life. Merkur, a German company, makes the best ones for the money. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're used to plastic multi-blades. It's a closer shave, though, so you can go two days easily. The Merkur blades are super high-quality, and are a lot less expensive to replace than Gillette. Plus, they are extremely easy to clean because you just twist the handle and the blade opens up.

This. I had a Merkur Progress razor which is adjustable, so you can get it exactly right. The old fashioned blades are much cheaper than modern multi blades. Also helps to use proper shaving soap and a brush... either badger hair or synthetic... I had a very good synthetic brush.
There's loads of videos on you tube... if you don't think it's weird watching guys shaving and there are shaving forums as well. A forum is also useful for picking up used razors or brushes.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 6:28 pm

I usually shave with a mix of coconut oil, heavy mineral oil and spectrogel. I've been using different oil-based homemade preparations for awhile and this combination seems to work best, at least compared to commercial gels or creams or soaps.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う