Stop Focusing On The Major As A Freshman

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 6:43 pm

This is going to be controversial, but it is to make a point to people. Those first years that you are to get your core courses done are to be getting core courses done, and that is it. Don't focus on your major at all. Everyone before getting their core courses done is undecided in my opinion, unless you are going into the medical field. Getting your core courses done allows you to be transfered to any college in your country to get your major finished.

Another thing in college, stop focusing on living homeless and under a bridge one day. I swear to god doing that will prevent you from focusing on your core courses which will actually prevent you from being homeless.

I find most of these art institute emails and junk mail at your high school or college a freaking distraction. Those advertisements shouldn't be there.

The egg goes before the chicken.

The only time I would focus on the major completely as a freshman is if there is a scholarship program being offered if you take classes with that major early.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 7:45 pm

You must be talking about non-STEM majors. People who want to study science, math, and engineering have to start courses for it early because there are so many required courses.

ZachGoodwin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 11:16 pm

Okay I need to fact check next time I put something like this out.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2018, 11:39 pm

I'm going to disagree with only taking general eds the freshman year as well. If I hadn't taken courses in my chosen major (Comp Sci) and minor (Japanese), I'd've had zero motivation to continue in any class. Those were my "special interests". To not pursue them would've made college even more like high school than it already was. (And that was in '99. College is even more like high school now in its restrictiveness than it was then!) I think it's healthier to spread the general eds out during the college years. (Unless one really has no idea what one is interested in studying in college.)

AnnaOMalley
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2018, 1:42 pm

I’m a math major and want to do biostats, so I need to get a lot of the credits done sooner than later. I’m currently doing linear algebra and computer science (which I was up doing until 4 AM last night). I think it’s good to have a general idea of what you want to do when you start college because you can tweak it as you move along.