I am tired of people pushing low carb/keto type diets

Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 7:37 pm

Again and again I see uninformed people saying that carbs are bad and telling people to cut them out to lose weight. On another website someone actually called potatoes junk food! Potatoes are perfectly good and nutritious food, just like brown rice, whole grains, fruit, veggies, and legumes.

Protein and fat are filling, so that might make losing weight easier, but fiber is also filling (and people can end up constipated if they don't eat enough of it). No single diet is easiest for everyone. I have personally lost weight on a high carb diet, so I know that it's possible. I was also tired and hungry on high fat and high protein diets, so I know they don't work for everyone.

Second of all, simply eating keto is not enough to lose weight; calories always have to be decreased to lose weight. It seems like people don't realize that they are eating fewer calories because keto makes it easier for them, so they are stupidly telling people not to cut calories. Whether cutting calories is easy or difficult, no one can lose weight without it, and that includes exercising so much that you aren't eating enough to replace the calories you burn.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm

I think they're so popular at the moment as a reaction to the problem of so much processed and refined carbohydrate food that's available. Rather than define the difference between wholefood, complex carbs (which, for most people, are great) and junk-food carbs (which are bad for everyone), it's easier just to lump them all together as 'bad'.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 12:48 am

I completely agree, I've been tired of it myself for a long time.

Tho I don't see anything necessarily wrong with a ketogenic diet, people need to understand that it's not magic, at the end of the day, it's calories in, calories out.

I do think the keto craze was a good thing initially, just to get rid of the equally ridiculous notion that fat makes you fat.
But then it seems like we keep jumping from one extreme to the next... :P

People also tend to forget that diet is a very individual thing, I for one just can't go low fat. Once I start getting below 40-50g of fat a day, my hair starts falling out, I feel foggy and hungry. I actually avoid complex carbs too, only because my digestive system functions much better on plant fibers. I do eat plenty of carbs tho, I start each day with a huge kale shake with, bananas, apples and blueberrries, and I eat potatoes and sweet potatoes almost everyday.

My diet is not "exotic", in that it's something like, moderate protein, moderate carb and moderate fat. That's a hard sell these days. :)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 4:35 am

Potatoes are a great food. I'm not gluten intolerant myself, but I think they must be a fantastic staple for those who are.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 5:00 am

I like the science behind keto diet. I've been on it for over 2 years and I ended up really thin, too thin actually. Now I don't follow any diet regime and I'm much fatter. The downside with it is that it's expensive to eat like that. And people go nuts over nuts which won't let you lose weight. Because you can eat nuts, nut flours, non-carb sweeteners, it doesn't mean that you have to. Also your protein intake shouldn't be too high if you're on a keto diet otherwise you won't get into ketosis. Your diet must be primarily based on healthy fats like olive oil, butter, ghee or coconut oil.

+Keto doesn't forbid fiber. It forbids sugars.

++Potatoes are good for you but they won't let you reach your goal if you're following a ketogenic diet.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 10:26 pm

It's about what works for you. If potatoes make you feel good, then that's fine for you. The only way I feel grounded is no grains/low carbs. Not at all pushing it on anyone because it is time consuming, expensive, and hard to maintain, but it's what works for me.

Pericles
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2018, 6:56 pm

I'm fine with spuds too, but not everyone is. They are a New World food, so unless you are a Native American your ancestors will only have been eating the solanum family for a few generations. (Vs, thousands of generations for many other vegetables.) That results in reactivity for some.

Ditto grain of any kind in any quantity. We're genetically acclimatised to very small amounts of grain, but throughout the Stone Age the quantities seen in modern diets were not consumed.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

Pericles wrote:
I'm fine with spuds too, but not everyone is. They are a New World food, so unless you are a Native American your ancestors will only have been eating the solanum family for a few generations. (Vs, thousands of generations for many other vegetables.) That results in reactivity for some.

Ditto grain of any kind in any quantity. We're genetically acclimatised to very small amounts of grain, but throughout the Stone Age the quantities seen in modern diets were not consumed.

None of this has anything to do with the topic. I was not talking about people who suggest low-carb diets because of difficulty eating certain types of foods.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 8:20 pm

Pericles wrote:

Potatoes weren't common throughout the New World, only in the Inca Empire. People of Amerind descent from Central or North America wouldn't have any more adaptation to them than Eurasians, Pacific Islanders and Australian aborigines or Africans would.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

starkid wrote:
Again and again I see uninformed people saying that carbs are bad and telling people to cut them out to lose weight. On another website someone actually called potatoes junk food! Potatoes are perfectly good and nutritious food, just like brown rice, whole grains, fruit, veggies, and legumes.

Protein and fat are filling, so that might make losing weight easier, but fiber is also filling (and people can end up constipated if they don't eat enough of it). No single diet is easiest for everyone. I have personally lost weight on a high carb diet, so I know that it's possible. I was also tired and hungry on high fat and high protein diets, so I know they don't work for everyone.

Second of all, simply eating keto is not enough to lose weight; calories always have to be decreased to lose weight. It seems like people don't realize that they are eating fewer calories because keto makes it easier for them, so they are stupidly telling people not to cut calories. Whether cutting calories is easy or difficult, no one can lose weight without it, and that includes exercising so much that you aren't eating enough to replace the calories you burn.

I agree with you on this. To me the whole low carb diet trend comes across as a marketing scheme.

PlanarFracture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

Completely agree with the opinion that people peddling these 'low carb' diets is complete nonsense. I make no claims of having a great deal of knowledge when it comes to nutrition, but I do know carbohydrates are the easiest and quickest means of energy. Regarding this, the body has an instinctive preference for them due to the nature of their structure and how easily they are broken down by enzymes. It's like the Atkins diet, where everything is meant to be protein-based (not the best idea, either!)
Sadly, there will always be someone out there with a nutritionist's certificate willing to bamboozle people concerned with their diets/health in order to make a quick quid.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 2:48 pm

PlanarFracture wrote:
Completely agree with the opinion that people peddling these 'low carb' diets is complete nonsense. I make no claims of having a great deal of knowledge when it comes to nutrition, but I do know carbohydrates are the easiest and quickest means of energy. Regarding this, the body has an instinctive preference for them due to the nature of their structure and how easily they are broken down by enzymes. It's like the Atkins diet, where everything is meant to be protein-based (not the best idea, either!)
Sadly, there will always be someone out there with a nutritionist's certificate willing to bamboozle people concerned with their diets/health in order to make a quick quid.

That's actually not the case, it will depend on what source of carbohydrates we are talking about. Your body will expend a lot less energy digesting say, a fried egg, compared to brown rice.

Also, if someone wanted to lose weight, you would actually want foods that require more energy to digest. This is why protein and fiber are beneficial for weight loss, because they are thermogenic foods.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 3:10 pm

What you weigh has nothing to do with what you eat.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 3:19 pm

Diets don't work. The problem is that people these days aren't active enough to burn calories. And yet I don't see them banning computers or television, or :evil: CARS :evil: so people will spend more time walking, or not making people at work or school spend most of the day slaving away at a desk. It wasn't all that ago regular people had to slave away in a field or a mine, which burned calories and you to be strong to do. Not that I envy those days or occupations.

Diets don't work. Or they only work a short time only for you to gain everything back the second you eat like a normal person. But there will always be people dumb and desperate enough to try anything.

PlanarFracture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
That's actually not the case, it will depend on what source of carbohydrates we are talking about. Your body will expend a lot less energy digesting say, a fried egg, compared to brown rice.

Also, if someone wanted to lose weight, you would actually want foods that require more energy to digest. This is why protein and fiber are beneficial for weight loss, because they are thermogenic foods.

I see your point, but will it be the same result for two foods of these different categories eaten in identical quantities? You've got to admit the Atkins diet or a complete avoidance of any and all carbs is very extreme.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 11:43 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Diets don't work. Or they only work a short time only for you to gain everything back the second you eat like a normal person. But there will always be people dumb and desperate enough to try anything.

"Diet" just means eating to lose weight. Diets are not the same thing as weight maintenance, so failing to maintain one's new lower weight after a diet (after losing weight) does not mean that the diet didn't work. That's like saying that surgery doesn't work just because patients don't take care of themselves after the surgery.

Please stop spreading this lie. I've seen so many people say this online. It's flat out wrong. Overeating/gaining weight after a diet is over is not a problem with diets (particularly since some people, such as athletes, deliberately gain weight after a diet. It clearly makes no sense to say that their diets "didn't work" just because they re-gained weight, and the same applies other people).

Dieting doesn't mean staying the same weight forever no matter what you do; it's a temporary thing. Weight maintenance is the long-term analog.