Love Daughter but Hate the Anger She Has Often

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jan 2018, 10:33 am

Maybe Lists and Points are the more important part in her case than the Punishment and Reward part. Just a guess.

AlyssasDad wrote:
You're right when you say that autistic people want to be treated as equals. Yes, my daughter wants to see herself as my equal. But she cannot be. She is the child and I am the adult, her parent. It will always be that way.
You have just probably identified a huge source of her frustration. Challenged or not, she is 18. Even if she would never be able to live fully independently, it's her life to live as her way as possible. She also needs to learn making decisions and keeping her boundaries.

Yes, many of us don't recognize arbitrary chains of command. But you still can reason with us. I reason even with toddlers, so I'm sure your daughter is capable od accepting reasoning. When she is calm, of course.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 5:58 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
AlyssasDad wrote:
Yes, I did (somewhat) the article you wrote. I have to admit it's the first autism-related article that involves mathematics as a way of explaining autistic behavior. However, in our case, punishment and reward is working for her, believe it or not. She loves working with a chore list and gets all her chores done and checks them off. That earns her a Chore Point for the day. Then she has a Behavior Point and a Homework Point she can earn. So, in a perfect day, she can earn three points (one for Chores, one for Behavior, and one for Homework). In a perfect week, she can earn 21 points. If she earns 18 to 21 points, we can do two activities over the weekend that she likes (e.g. movie or extra internet/TV time). If it's just 15 to 17 points, then just one activity over the weekend. If it's 14 or under, then she stays home over the weekend and she can talk with friends, read, do arts and crafts, etc. But the things she really wants -- movies, extra tv/internet time are OUT.

So she strives to earn her points when it comes to Chores and Homework. The Behavior one is the difficult one for her.

You're right when you say that autistic people want to be treated as equals. Yes, my daughter wants to see herself as my equal. But she cannot be. She is the child and I am the adult, her parent. It will always be that way. She has to accept and understand that she needs to take my direction as I have her best interests at heart and that sometimes she doesn't understand why I am forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do.

Thank you for following up.

Alyssas Dad

You said "She has to accept and understand that she needs to take my direction as I have her best interests at heart and that sometimes she doesn't understand why I am forcing her to do something she doesn't want to do. "

In other words, she must do what you want and say because you said so with no rhyme or reason to it? Even if the particular instruction you require may seem weird to her? In other words, what you want is a robot who obeys you without question, who questions nothing and doesn't learn to think for herself. Sounds like the Hitler Youth. Do you ever take time to explain things to her?

ASDMommy, why can't NTs ever accept that their methods do not work on autistic children because the autistic mind is wired completely differently then the NT mind? Maybe if we took a hit of acid we would be able to understand why NTs are so rigid in the way they are with their autistic children. What do you think? :wink:

Ha ha, Cubedemon. You make good points. Honestly, I think everyone is rigid to some degree. Parenting is such a frought topic. Everyone seems to have a lot of emotional investment in parenting strategies, and it can actually get pretty nasty. It involves family, social economic class and culture and a lot of really complex dynamics. You also have all sorts of different parenting philosophies and trends and people become emotionally attached to this as well. This is the reason for Mommy (parenting) wars.

When people are emotionally attached to something, it is hard for logic to find its way in. In some sub-cultures if you parent differently, you become judged as a terrible person. Where I live, it is is considered some kind of weakness to be too lenient. It is viewed as lazy or weak, and Liberal (which where I currently live is viewed as weak also) Harsh discipline is judged as character building, strong, and doing what needs to be done.

In addition, a lot of what works on autistic kids seems axiomatically false, to many, because the premises for NT parenting are not questioned and assumed to be correct and correct for everyone. To add complications, some autistic kids can tolerate NT methods. To me it is a simple thing. If you try a parenting strategy many times and it does not work, or makes things worse, and you have a kid that seems atypical -- it makes sense to me to be open to trying atypical things: Not dangerous, crazy things, but definitely outside-the-box things. Maybe it is harder to do that if you think of parenting as part of a social web of truth. The other thing is I probably see my son's point of view better b/c sometimes I think like him too.

AlyssasDad
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2018, 7:51 am

Thank you ASDMommy -- it seems CubeDemon seems to be taking what I'm saying in absolute terms. That I'm a drill sergeant and she's the private in my one-man army! Of course, I don't insist on her following my every direction. I just meant, for example, when it's cold out, she needs to wear her winter jacket not just a windbreaker. Or go out in flip-flops when it's a chilly rainy fall day. She will do those things as she prefers the lightness of the windbreaker and the open feeling of the flip-flops regardless of what effect in may have on her health-wise.

I understand that my daughter's brain is wired differently. Frankly, I think all autistic individuals are different and one cannot say that one particular method is going to work on all autistic kids as CubeDemon seems to be suggesting. It may work for some and not at all for others. But that is par for the course as every parent has to find WHAT WORKS with their kid(s).

Maybe my daughter is less autistic and more intellectually-disabled and that is why the autistic methods don't work as well on her.

All I know is that I had, in earlier years, thought that with age she would begin to have more reasoning ability and would argue/fight less but this hasn't been the case.

Some things have changed -- years ago she would fight about putting on her seatbelt in the car. Now today she is the one arguing for me to put it on! Years ago she had to have every light on in the house at night as she was scared of the dark. Now, she sleeps with the lights off.

Yes, she still believes in Santa and the Easter Bunny (but not the Great Pumpkin for some odd reason) and I don't mind that. I get to have a "kid" longer than most. My friends' non-autistic daughters that are now young adults no longer have that child that believes in Santa on Christmas morning or that the Easter Bunny is the one that left the basket. I still get to enjoy that with her. But for her, it causes problems as when other kids tell her that there is no Santa/Easter Bunny, she gets angry as her belief system is being challenged.

All I want is for my daughter to mature a little more if at all possible so that she thinks more about how her anger affects others. Yet at time goes on, I'm becoming more resigned that this where she is at developmentally and she will not grow past it.

Alyssas Dad

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 8:29 am

AlyssasDad wrote:
Thank you ASDMommy -- it seems CubeDemon seems to be taking what I'm saying in absolute terms. That I'm a drill sergeant and she's the private in my one-man army! Of course, I don't insist on her following my every direction. I just meant, for example, when it's cold out, she needs to wear her winter jacket not just a windbreaker. Or go out in flip-flops when it's a chilly rainy fall day. She will do those things as she prefers the lightness of the windbreaker and the open feeling of the flip-flops regardless of what effect in may have on her health-wise.

I understand that my daughter's brain is wired differently. Frankly, I think all autistic individuals are different and one cannot say that one particular method is going to work on all autistic kids as CubeDemon seems to be suggesting. It may work for some and not at all for others. But that is par for the course as every parent has to find WHAT WORKS with their kid(s).

Maybe my daughter is less autistic and more intellectually-disabled and that is why the autistic methods don't work as well on her.

All I know is that I had, in earlier years, thought that with age she would begin to have more reasoning ability and would argue/fight less but this hasn't been the case.

Some things have changed -- years ago she would fight about putting on her seatbelt in the car. Now today she is the one arguing for me to put it on! Years ago she had to have every light on in the house at night as she was scared of the dark. Now, she sleeps with the lights off.

Yes, she still believes in Santa and the Easter Bunny (but not the Great Pumpkin for some odd reason) and I don't mind that. I get to have a "kid" longer than most. My friends' non-autistic daughters that are now young adults no longer have that child that believes in Santa on Christmas morning or that the Easter Bunny is the one that left the basket. I still get to enjoy that with her. But for her, it causes problems as when other kids tell her that there is no Santa/Easter Bunny, she gets angry as her belief system is being challenged.

All I want is for my daughter to mature a little more if at all possible so that she thinks more about how her anger affects others. Yet at time goes on, I'm becoming more resigned that this where she is at developmentally and she will not grow past it.

Alyssas Dad

I am going to let Cubedemon speak for himself because he certainly can. But to give you context and background, we get a lot of people who post mostly temporarily wanting to know how to force NT systems on a non NT kid, and who are not open to very much departure. Some of that is for the reasons I already listed and some of it is because it doesn't fit in with their notions of fairness to let the kids "get away" with whatever it is that displeases them.

A lot of it is because they generally can't get their head around the fact that the child's reasoning may not be what it seems, and also I think they fear what other people will think if they try something different. So, again, cubedemon can speak for himself, but it is an interesting thing to think about how some people are open to trying new interpretations and approaches and some are not.

A lot of what we do here is to try to at least get people to think about what has been working and what doesn't. This way, we have a starting point to help, because you are absolutely right, that all people with ASD are different. We even have a standard saying for that. "If you have met one person with autism, you have met one person with autism."

Even in your example, I can tell you that for my son I would do things differently. Most of our trips are in the car, the heat in it works well' and we are usually not parked too far from the building, wherever we go. On a weekend, I have let him see the natural consequences of not wearing a coat. Going to school would have been a different matter b/c they have a pretty long recess and honestly the school would judge me as negligent to attempt such an experiment. So I would not have done the test in natural consequences then. But I would let him try another time, and told him so.

And that is the kind of thing where is does no harm to try something different and maybe you will learn something or the child will learn something from the doing of it. Also it gives him the respect of having his feelings heard which is important for them to trust you when you go unilateral on them. If I tell him something is non-negotiable b/c it is a health or safety issue, he knows that he can trust that this is true. Even if he has a sensory issue with it, or does not agree, I get the benefit of the doubt every time.

I cannot tell you how valuable that is. Once there was a fire across the street. My husband and I chose to evacuate before being officially told to do so. (Everything ended up OK. It was an empty lot and no one was injured and the fire never crossed our street) I told him to get dressed, that there was a fire across the street, that it was a safety issue and we had to go. he complied instantly. We took some soothing things for him with us, and on the way to the car I pointed at the fire to show him the proof. If I did not have his trust there is no telling how long that would have taken. By showing him the fire, I demonstrated that what I was saying was true, to continue to add to our trust bank, to help reinforce my lessons on this to him.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 8:46 am

AlyssasDad wrote:

Alyssas Dad

We are still a Santa house too. He doesn't announce it to others so we get all the fun with none of the problems. He also does not mind when we tell him silly fictional things for fun, so I don't think he will ultimately feel betrayed and lied to when he does figure it out.

They are capable of change as you noted with your examples on the seat belt and the lights. The main thing is that it mostly works on their timetable. You can put the information in their database, and try to trigger realizations, and slow walk them through the logic, but a lot of it is maturity and perspective.

Anger is a tough thing b/c it tends to be a function of rigidity and frustration (often do to fundamental issues in communication or perspective) Both of these things can be improved by easing stress, so that is a big thing to do when you can. Building and maintaining trust is important as well, but maturity tends to be the limiting factor for us most of the time.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 2:31 pm

AlyssasDad wrote:

Alyssas Dad

I'm not laughing at you or your situation but laughing at the irony of it. That's what I was thinking you were doing. I thought you were taking it as absolute yourself and you were presenting it that way. I was trying to tell you and get you to understand that it wasn't absolute. Yet, you were trying to tell me and understand the exact same thing. It's like were were talking over and past each other. I think you don't understand x. You think I don't understand x. I understand x. You understand x. Yet neither of us understand that the other person understands x and we're trying to get each other to understand x.

What is going on here? ASDMommy? And, I've been told the same thing by others this guy told me but on different topics. I see a pattern here. Here is what I'm going to start doing. If it seems to not make sense and if it seems like the other person is being absolute with certain exceptions then I'm going to assume they're not and they have a certain intent I am missing.

AlyssasDad
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

CubeDemon,

At times, it's hard to discern HOW someone is saying something online as words and complete sentences can come across the wrong way sometimes. I think that is what is happening for me as you are quite analytical from my perspective and the tone of your statements sometimes comes across as a little hard.

For me, I try to not use absolute statements when commenting on someone else online that I don't know well. I would not say, for example, "you never do the right thing" but instead would say, "it seems sometimes you may be doing the wrong thing." Even if I did feel that the other person would never do the right thing!

My intention is good and not to criticize but only to share what I'm thinking. This why emoticons are available here too so that others know the statement is not said in a critical tone. :D

Alyssas Dad

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 3:01 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
AlyssasDad wrote:

Alyssas Dad

I'm not laughing at you or your situation but laughing at the irony of it. That's what I was thinking you were doing. I thought you were taking it as absolute yourself and you were presenting it that way. I was trying to tell you and get you to understand that it wasn't absolute. Yet, you were trying to tell me and understand the exact same thing. It's like were were talking over and past each other. I think you don't understand x. You think I don't understand x. I understand x. You understand x. Yet neither of us understand that the other person understands x and we're trying to get each other to understand x.

What is going on here? ASDMommy? And, I've been told the same thing by others this guy told me but on different topics. I see a pattern here. Here is what I'm going to start doing. If it seems to not make sense and if it seems like the other person is being absolute with certain exceptions then I'm going to assume they're not and they have a certain intent I am missing.

To me, (not always being the best judge of these things) it looks like you did both get wires crossed. Parenting can be a touchy subject and so I think it is an easy topic for this to happen with. He is probably looking at this from a purely practical, self-applied perspective, while you were, I think, broadening the topic to a more general case. When that happens it can become easy to conflate what is specific and what is general.

In addition, it can be hard to read certain statements b/c often in NT communication, a general descriptor can have a ton of exceptions that are not stated and the reader is intended to infer that without a concrete signal to do so; And sometimes it doesn't and the statement is meant to be absolute- so it is really hard to interpret over the Internet without context. If you know a person IRL, it can be easier to detect the difference b/c you are accustomed to that individual person's communication pattern as well as having more personal insight into their beliefs..

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jan 2018, 6:03 am

AlyssasDad wrote:

Does it really have an effect on her health?
I let my kids decide themselves what they want to wear and they end up wearing far lighter then other kids their age. I started this when they were toddlers, believing that they need to learn themselves the feelings of hot, cold, warm and to understand themselves why they should wear for the weather. Of course, if my girl wanted to go out in a t-shirt in the winter, I took her coat with me to offer it when she gets cold. But she was allowed to feel the cold herself first.
I had to talk to a lot of random concerned elderly ladies about no measurable impact on the girls' health.
It worked. They ask themselves for gloves and other warm things, but only when they are indeed cold.

Both the girls wear generally lighter than their peers and they are perfectly healthy.

AlyssasDad
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2018, 6:47 am

Yes, it has had an effect on her health -- she has gotten sick and she's been admonished by her teachers and the school nurse for coming to school in a light jacket on a cold winter's day. Some kids would rather freeze in the cold weather in order to wear the "favorite" jacket then to think about how the cold may affect their health. Some kids learn from freezing and decide they want to bundle up from then on. My daughter falls into the first group.

In the past, I thought that if I let her brave the elements that she would learn a lesson but that was not the case.

All kids are unique and this is how mine is when it comes to weather and dressing for it.

Alyssas Dad

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jan 2018, 7:06 am

ok, I was just making sure.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 8:51 am

I have been thinking about your thread. I am sorry things have become so difficult. I don't have a teenage daughter and might not understand the particulars of your situations fully so please correct me if my advice is irrelevant or not useful to you.

You clearly want the best for your daughter and have a system that has worked in place in order to help her (and you) achieve that. However, it appears to me that you are all suffering. If you can't go out at the weekends because she doesn't get her points high up enough I am sure you all have a hard time. Besides getting out and about is important training ground and opportunities lost. Opportunities to bond, have fun together and see other sides of each other that might be lost in the constant battle for behaviour modification. It is valuable because it builds trust, it helps us understand each other better and it creates a 'good memory' that makes tough times a lot easier to deal with. It is also important training ground for dealing with situations on the spot that simple wouldn't arise if contained to the house. So I would urge you to just consider the possibility that all of you staying home at the weekends as a result of her behaviour might not actually get you the long term goal you are after.

What does your daughter's week look like? What are your options with regard to your living situation? Would it be possible (and would you be willing) to give her more independence at home. Could she have a part of the house with a small kitchen and some facilities so she could look to take over some cooking, cleaning and laundry duties and start caring for herself and her own domain more? It appears to me you need to look for ways to give her more independence in a supportive way which will benefit all of you and give you a much needed degree of separation. This would give her confidence and a chance to step up and really see the link between independence and freedom and the necessary responsibility and care of self that comes with it. If this is unrealistic, you indicate that she enjoys working with her chore list. Are there other ways in which she might gain more independence and pride in her own work within the household. Can she cook independently? If not, could you or someone else teach her? My strategy would be to really focus on independent life skills where she can gain more input and say within your household and feel like she can contribute and be taken seriously as an adult within the home. Even if she is not an adult in your mind in other ways, giving her opportunities to feel like one could be important to bringing down her frustrations and anger.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 9:28 pm

AlyssasDad wrote:
My high-functioning autistic/intellectually-disabled daughter, now eighteen, is causing life for her stepmother and I to be very difficult almost everyday.

She gets angry so easily and has broken things in the house and will physically fight us if we argue with her.

Last year, she was going to go a residential treatment center but the school system in which we live recommended that she go instead to a nearby respite home where she was able to stay there only for a few months until she turned eighteen (they were only licensed for those up to eighteen). They were very strict with her there and although she did better there, she still had anger issues. But it was good as we could often see her.

I don't know what to do as I still love her (she can be good at times) but yet another part of me hates being around her because of her argumentative nature. I am not a confrontational person however her stepmother is and will argue with her. We've been taught by ABA therapists as well as the respite home to just leave her alone when she's getting angry but yet when we hear something like the treadmill being knocked over, we can't help but to go and see what is she's doing. And she knows that is a way to get us to come to her when we've left her.

We would like for her to go a group home but it seems unaffordable as she doesn't yet have a Disability Waiver here that would subsidize the costs of her being at one. Been told that it may take a few years for her to get that Disability Waiver in our state. One group home wants $3250 USD a week plus, if she stays there for six months, then you have to fork over a $60,000 one-time payment. I don't have that kind of money. Guess only kids from rich families stay at these places. Are there any that just take what she's going to get in Social Security Income for being disabled -- that's about $750 a month. I could probably pay some more on top of that too of course but not the tune of $2,500 like the place I just mentioned.

The residential treatment center, on the other hand, would be covered by Medicaid but this is a place where she would be behind barbed fences and every door is controlled by security keypads and no one shows any love there and she would cut off from friends she has here as well as activities (special needs baseball/bowling/dances, etc.). I fear that if she goes to one of these residential treatment centers, two things will happen. One is that she will become more distant as we will only see her at most once a week or once every two weeks. Two is that she will have a difficult time getting into a group home later on as her past will show a long-term stay at a residential treatment center which will give the impression that she must have had real behavioral issues.

It just doesn't seem that she is willing to change her behaviors in the home nor will "grow" out of it. Just this morning she had a screaming fit because she came late to breakfast and wanted for us to stay at the table after we had long since finished. In other words, she wants to control and we are not at her beck and call. Her reason for being late? She was reading and didn't want to stop until she was ready.

Most of the time we can't go out on the weekends as it's dependent on her earning behavior points during the week. If she hasn't earned enough, then no weekend activities. My wife and I can't go out on our own as we fear she may break something while we are out or attempt to break into rooms we have locked (as she's prone to snooping and taking things).

Her real mother isn't in the picture as she has mental health issues and rarely makes the one-hour drive to see her daughter too. So I know some of my daughter's issues are with not having had her real mother in her life growing up. My wife has tried to do things with her (arts and crafts) but it seems my daughter just can't seem to understand that when we are trying to teach her something that it's to help her, not dictate to her. She got upset also this morning as she wrote a note to a boy she likes and is inviting to her upcoming birthday party and the note is telling him what he has to buy her for her birthday -- a gift card. We told her it wasn't good to do that and refuses to believe that it's a bad thing to do. Fine, I said, go ahead but we are only trying to help you -- he may not come to your birthday party if all he feels is that you want a gift card from him.

Thank you for reading this and for any thoughts or recommendations you may have.

- Alyssa's Dad

Not all problems that children, teenagers, and young adults on the spectrum have, are spectrum problems. Some of them are just problems typical for people of that age. Your daughter may be on the spectrum and intellectually disabled, but she is at the age when most people become rebellious to some extent in a bid to become their own person...and she may also have anxiety about the future.

Has anyone ever sat down with her and asked her what she wants for her future? Even intellectually disabled people often have goals and dreams in life.

Last edited by Chronos on 20 Jan 2018, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 10:15 pm

I think you should ease up on your daughter and let her grow up. I think you should ditch the points system because it's clearly not working. How would you like to be her age and in her shoes knowing that you're not going to be spending time outdoors doing something fun with your family or that you won't be able to be on the computer all weekend, because you didn't earn enough points because you screwed up? Have you really sat down with your daughter and had an in-depth conversation, asking her how she feels about all this. I think that would be a great place to start. Do you want a pleasant young woman on your hands, or an angry rebel?

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:47 pm

I feel like we don't have enough information. How intellectually disabled is she (assuming she is at all)? Based on what I've read from your first post, your daughter's temper tantrums don't seem to be related to overstimulation, which would be the traditional autistic reason for such tantrums. It isn't uncommon for autistics to have tantrums when under stress, but leaving the table early wouldn't qualify as something that would normally stress even a pretty autistic child.

It seems to me like these tantrums are based on frustration that is stemming from two separate things. First, it sounds like your daughter has difficulty communicating. Second, your daughter seems to crave evidence of love and craves attention. So, I think now is a time to have some honesty here, and with yourself.

Are you and your wife happy together, and would you say your relationship with each other takes priority over your relationship with your daughter? Do you resent your daughter, and are you concerned that you'll be "stuck" with her for the long term? If these are thoughts and behaviors in the back of your mind, she'll sense on some level that she is not a priority. This isn't to say you need to suffer these behaviors, and it isn't to say you need to sacrifice your life for her. There's always a middle ground, and I'm just trying to ascertain where things stand now.

It certainly doesn't seem avoiding going out together on weekends is the answer. It seems like your daughter needs to go out and have some good old fashioned fun that involved both you and your wife. As for your daughter really believing in Santa, perhaps she quite literally does. But maybe she just wants to believe because she wants you to take the extra step of having a present with the Santa label on it. And mind you, this isn't because she wants to get an extra present, she just wants to know you love her.

Your daughter is 18, but she ain't 18. You and your wife need to work on a more forgiving, open, and relaxed relationship with your daughter. Why don't you embrace her and use her as an excuse to go and have some fun. I see you're 52 years old. My challenge to you is, if your daughter likes to go and play on the playground, you go and you play with her, and you act no longer than 12 years old. You laugh and play, and who gives a crap what anybody says.

That facility you described earlier is not an option for your daughter. It will break her. Oh, I can assure you, her behavior will "improve" because she won't behave in any way. She could potentially go catatonic. Those are also the types of places where your daughter could be sexually assaulted by some of the other girls in the facility, or the authorities in charge of her well being.

My final thought: You have a tough situation, and it's easy for me to say these things. But sometimes that means the person saying them has some perspective you don't see. It sounds like you are going to have your daughter in your home for the foreseeable future. That's a tough prospect, given her disabilities. That doesn't mean yours and your wife's life has to be hell. Embrace your daughter the way she is, accept her limitations, and instead have fun with her within the limits she has. If this means you go the freakin LEGOLAND and your daughter is the only 18 year old "child" in the place, take her there anyway and play with her on her level.

Life is short, and we'll all be dead at some point. Who gives a f*** what other people think.