Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 10:10 pm

I know many people post about how terrible it is, but every body is different, and for me it has made a real, positive difference. The only reason I have to finally give it up is because of the weight gain. That part of it just cannot continue. I've gained 60 pounds (27.2 kg)! But I'm still scared about going off of it, because of how I used to be (always in tears, shut down, and more panic attacks). I'm so frustrated that what works for me has to have such a downside.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 7:31 am

Risperidone made me feel weak and shaky. I only took it for 3 weeks.

But I hear you. On Seroquel (quetiapine) I gained 30 kilos. I've since stopped taking it but now my struggle is losing the excess weight. It has not budged at all and it's been 2 years. It could be due to the lithium I'm taking, not sure.

I hope the weight comes off easily for you. And maybe a new medication can be found that helps with your panic attacks?

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 8:46 am

Your doctor may replace it with another antipsychotic with fewer side effects like sulpiride or abilify maybe. This is what happened in my case. But I was on risperdal for only about 6 months.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 8:15 pm

We did decide to try Abilify, and I've been on it now a little more than a week. Initial nausea and jitters are wearing off, and I think it could be comfortable. I'm a lot less fatigued than with the Risperdal.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 8:34 pm

Metformin can be added to limit the weight gain associated with antipsychotics. Its an option that you can research on your own if you are interested.

There is always Saphris, an antipsychotic with the least weight gain of any atypical antipsychotic.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:26 pm

Noca wrote:
Metformin can be added to limit the weight gain associated with antipsychotics. Its an option that you can research on your own if you are interested.

There is always Saphris, an antipsychotic with the least weight gain of any atypical antipsychotic.

Hadn't heard of adding metformin. Thanks! As for Saphris, not generic yet, so there's no way I could afford it :x

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 10:46 pm

Since you are from Washington, I'd suggest you research CBD oil as either a replacement or adjunctive to antipsychotics.

Vast Fame
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2018, 8:10 pm

Did you ever try Geodon? I used to be on Risperdal and the weight gain was pretty atrocious, but it wasn't nearly as bad on Geodon.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 8:11 am

Geodon/Zeldox (ziprasidone) was excellent for me until the doctor found that I had heart problems on it. They weren't heart problems I could feel so I thought it was a real bummer that I had to give Geodon up.