When your autism threatens your career...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dark Fairy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm

Reading the post and the comments reminds me of my career. My work pattern can be desribed as the two year curse. If I can get passed probation and interviews I burn out after about 2 years. This is mainly due to lack of social skills.
Good example is my current job. I do pre employment screening. when I started I was just confirming qualifications or employment. Very little interaction and the little I had was scripted and predictable. I was then had to take inbound calls ontop of my tasks. This nearly caused me to.quit as Handling human emotions got to me. Now I am a supervisor. So dealing with multiple demands and much more interaction and less predibility. Also having to justify why things went wrong, which usually involves butt sucking and being able to articulate.
So many days I want to storm.out. Dont know what advice to give but can say you are not alone. I would love anwers too

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 5:53 am

The single biggest thing I've done in my career to be successful... is never allow myself to give in to the many many many times that I just want to do what Dark Fairy mentions:

Dark Fairy wrote:
So many days I want to storm.out.

I probably think about quitting at least 4 or 5 times each week. I fantasize about telling my boss that enough is enough and that I am not going to put up with the intense stress of it all, but I know that I can't do that without another job lined up. I also worry about companies other than the one I work for possibly being less accommodating to my quirks and difficulties. So that makes it more difficult to line another job up...

So I am stuck.... mostly... and it's a good thing... because it's forced me to let my career and success build.