Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2018, 11:47 pm

I'll reserve judgment until I see it, but from the trailer this looks like one of the more authentic portrayals of autism in media I've seen. I look forward to watching it. I don't know if anyone on the spectrum was involved in the writing or production.

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 3:29 am

Existing Thread on the film

I think as we get closer to the opening of the film on the 26th of this month we will know more about if there was any autistic input involved.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:02 am

Most certainly it looks true to life!

AlyssasDad
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2018, 7:25 am

Please Stand By was and is a very good movie and, although Dakota Fanning doesn't have autism, I believe she portrays it very well. Also, other actors in the movie (unknown if they had autism or not) do well in representing autism without making them out to be caricatures.

I am little bit biased as one of my long time friends went to church with Dakota's parents so there's that six degrees of Kevin Bacon thing going on so I'm appreciative of Dakota's acting abilities as a young actress.

I also happen to like Star Trek so the premise was a fun one as many who like Star Trek harbor a secret dream of a writing a script that turns into a show/movie. So it is with Please Stand By as Dakota plays an autistic girl in her early 20s living in a group home in San Francisco and her obsession is with Star Trek and she's been writing a script. A Star Trek script contest is announced and, wanting to win, she plans to mail in her script but mailing it gets delayed and she has no other choice, she decides, then to deliver it in-person to Paramount Studios in Los Angeles.

The title, Please Stand By, comes from whenever she has a meltdown, the woman who runs the group home will attempt to calm her down by saying "Please Stand By" several times. I dislike that she's holding her down when saying this but it's in attempt to keep her from lashing out physically.

The only problem I see with this movie is that some younger autistic viewers may get the idea that it may be okay for them to go out on their own like the girl in the movie and nothing will happen to them (although at one point, she has her money stolen from her after a long distance bus drops her and her dog off on a desolate highway).

So far as I know, the only way to see this movie is through Amazon Prime and pay about $7 for a 30-day rental (with two days to watch it once you start). Might be different wherever you are.

I am not autistic but my daughter is eighteen and I see things in this movie that are true about her. Thus, I feel the movie was well done and thoughtful of the autism community.

Now back to your internet, already in progress...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 10:55 am

Several of the actors who played residents in the group home are autistic. While more autistic people playing autistic charactors should happen it should not be a requirement. An actors job is to often play a person different then themselves.

I thought Dakota’s charactor departed from the Rain Man stereotype to a much greater degree then the recent plethora of movie and TV portrayls.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 12:40 pm

I liked how they showed in a nice and non-judgemental way how this caring group home environment and people around her helped her to prepare for this venture, but at the same time were overprotective and holding her back to some extent. How they couldn't understand how actually good or bad she is in writing and thus didn't really take her intentions seriously. But we can see it wasn't due to arrogance, indifference or hostility.

It reminds me how I missed some points and opportunities like this in my early life, because I wasn't clear, confident or persistent enough to manifest my interests or aspirations to people around me, ask for help in some specific steps I needed help with or try to change something on my own.

I guess this is the main lesson for us.