Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 6:58 pm

And since yesterday, video embeds have become either invisible (Firefox) or "unsupported, go play it on YouTube, nyaah" (IE). That ain't good - this is a community that likes to share, and vids are a big part of that.

Not sure if it's affecting everyone, but it's been consistent for me throughout.

Plus the site is now hanging all. the. time. Not just at midnight EST.

:scratch:

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 8:01 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
And since yesterday, video embeds have become either invisible (Firefox) or "unsupported, go play it on YouTube, nyaah" (IE). That ain't good - this is a community that likes to share, and vids are a big part of that.

Not sure if it's affecting everyone, but it's been consistent for me throughout.

Plus the site is now hanging all. the. time. Not just at midnight EST.

:scratch:

Videos have began to become invisible for me because the site is "secure" on https. I have to disable it to see the videos.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 8:04 pm

Thank you, Maria, that never occurred to me! Seriously.

I'll check it out. :-)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 8:08 pm

You're welcome :-)

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 9:07 pm

Are you or anyone else getting this with videos?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 9:20 pm

^^
If I use IE, yes. With Firefox, there's nothing - just empty. I have not been clicking on any embedded link in those - been using the Quote button and opening the youtube link in a new window. Booooring but it works.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 9:21 pm

^^
If I use IE, yes. With Firefox, there's nothing - just empty. I have not been clicking on any embedded link in those - been using the Quote button and opening the youtube link in a new window. Booooring but it works.

Ah, I see. Ok.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 11:33 pm

^^ Thanks for the tip, Maria, again. It's annoying to disable protection for the site, but it definitely works.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

Yes, this keeps happening again. There's always something up with this site, if it isn't CAPTCHA it's these error messages, if it isn't error messages it's something else. Yes the CAPTCHA was dealt with in the end, but how long will that be before it starts up again?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 10:36 am

Lots of timeouts and "bad gateway" errors here for me too over the last few days.

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yes the CAPTCHA was dealt with in the end, but how long will that be before it starts up again?

One day apparently because my friend isn't able to make an account because of it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 12:40 pm

The site was unavailable most of the overnight due to the errors

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SSJ4_PrestonGarvey
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

The computer nerd in me is wondering if the DDOSers have found ways to bypass stuff like CloudFlare to carry out DDOS? It seems like it often turns out that these "protective measures" turn out to be pretty pathetic when put under scrutiny. Bored 13 year old kids can hack into a lot of stuff and TBH it seems like captchas don't accomplish anything other than maybe deterring the 5 minute attention span crowd.

The socially curious side in me wonders who cares enough so as to try DDOS attacks every day? I would think an autism website would make for some dry trolling. I've got Aspergers and trolling me just leads to robotic infodump sort of response if anything at all, if it's too illogical I just won't bother responding. I can't imagine that to be terribly entertaining for the trolls.

I mean there are sites on the internet that I do not like but I honestly just find it easier to just not visit them anymore. At most I might comment negatively about a website if it happens to come up in discussion elsewhere but I've never cared about it beyond that. Only site I disliked much was NeoGAF cause of the people wanting to push for SJW censorship/other agendas in video games. My opinion is let games succeed or fail on their own merits basically let the market decide unless the content is outright harmful like gambling in kid's games. Shouldn't have to deal with political nonsense in games, I think that shouldn't be acceptable IMO. Like next maybe there'd be Republican/Democrat stuff shoehorned in, that stuff would irritate me a lot because I get fairly sick of the politics focus during election season. So I sure don't want to see party lines forced into my open world RPGs.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

^^ I've wondered similarly - whether we've been seeing DNS attacks, for some reason. I am old; they are probably called something else now and probably have been for decades.

But, as you've noted, of all the places in cyberspace, why on earth mess with a bunch of Aspies? Fond as I am of this site and everyone on it (yes, I even care about people I disagree with - if I didn't care, I wouldn't bother to respond to them) we honestly couldn't organize our way out of a pay toilet as a group - if someone handed us the change!

We vary too widely even in our autisms, never mind the fact that we're all over the political and religious spectra too, to be a credible "bloc", marching in lockstep, anywhere. (Except maybe as autism activists, which would be kind of cool.)

Unless, of course, the troll (if there even is one, or more) is an Aspie themselves, or a friend or relation of one, and got royally p*ssed at someone here.

But still... playing Gollum with a bunch of Aspies just isn't that exciting a life, is it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:09 pm

I couldn't get on WP at all for at least 8 hours straight.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 7:19 pm

I've had about a week of these constant frustrations, and it has been getting me down. It affects the moderating software too, so we are doubly affected. Things take so much more time to accomplish and that is stressful and annoying.