Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 11:28 am

BP- 116/70 which is quite good for my age (I think)

Weight- 110kgs, same as last time it was done when I was living in Essex. That's disappointing given I've cut right back on the takeaways ie 4-5 since being here from September 24th. In same time in Essex I would have had 45-50.

I guess what they say here is true . I'm on Consta..

https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/12 ... s-obesity/

beady
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 11:38 am

Really nice BP!

And even if eating healthier doesn't show itself in your weight, its doing bunches of good inside your body! Keep up the good work!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 1:20 pm

It's a good BP, definitely----for any age.

I'm not going to call you "obese." To me, people who are "obese" are those who weigh 300 lbs or more. But you should work on your weight.

I'm 5 foot 5, and weigh 175 pounds. I should lose about 25 pounds.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's a good BP, definitely----for any age.

I'm not going to call you "obese." To me, people who are "obese" are those who weigh 300 lbs or more. But you should work on your weight.

I'm 5 foot 5, and weigh 175 pounds. I should lose about 25 pounds.

I'll readily admit I'm obese. Why I haven't lost any weight is baffling. I have had far fewer takeaways. At 5-11 I should ideally be 168 lbs which is 74lbs less.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:28 pm

How much do you walk a day?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:37 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I'll readily admit I'm obese. Why I haven't lost any weight is baffling. I have had far fewer takeaways. At 5-11 I should ideally be 168 lbs which is 74lbs less.

You need to track your calories. Fewer takeaways doesn't necessarily mean fewer calories.

Try myfitnesspal.com or cronometer.com

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How much do you walk a day?

Very little. I've not been out on my own since moving here . I have a poor sense of direction and a strong phobia about getting lost and trapped. The most I'll go out is a short walk with my stepdaughter to the supermarket or doctor's/dentist.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:46 pm

starkid wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

You need to track your calories. Fewer takeaways doesn't necessarily mean fewer calories.

Even if a lot of those takeaways were Chinese set meals for 2 ? I never have been able to do the counting calories thing. For starters how do you accurately work out the calories for each food item you eat with out becoming quite anal retentive about the whole process?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 2:52 pm

firemonkey wrote:
For starters how do you accurately work out the calories for each food item you eat with out becoming quite anal retentive about the whole process?

You don't work it out; the website has the calories for thousands of different foods. You just input the type of food and how much you ate.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

starkid wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Looked at myfitness pal it said to lose 2lbs a week= 1500 calories a day.

Looked at http://www.changingshape.com/calculator ... ie-intake/

Resting metabolic rate: Step 1: Multiply your body weight by 10.
Step 2: Determine what your overall activity level is - very active=add 60% - 80% to your RMR; moderately active=add 40% - 60%; generally sedentary, add 20% - 40%.

For example, if you weigh 150-pounds and consider yourself to be moderately active, then the following equation - 1500 + (1500 x 50%) = 1500 + 750, or 2250 calories - is would apply to you. Be sure to enter your particular numbers into this equation in order to find out exactly what your caloric intake should be each and every day.

I'm sedentary therefore to maintain weight =242x10=2420 +30% of 2420(726)= 3146 calories to maintain weight.
To lose 2lbs a week = minus 1000 calories a day=2146 calories.

I see that as you lose weight you need less calories to lose 2lbs a week but starting at 1500 calories I'd be losing 3.292 lbs a week. That's more than the the recommended 1-2lbs a week. If you lose weight too fast there's more chance you'll put it back on.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 6:11 pm

More exercise would almost certainly help.
If you can't go out much, is there something you can do at home, such as hand weights or a cycle machine?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 6:23 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
More exercise would almost certainly help.
If you can't go out much, is there something you can do at home, such as hand weights or a cycle machine?

I have a cycle machine in the bedroom, but I'm thinking of getting a chest freezer and the freezer would have to go where the cycle machine is. I don't know much about hand weights and losing weight. So long as they wouldn't make me muscly (no thanks!) they might be an option .

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 1:01 am

I don't think you'd get noticeably muscly if you did lots of repetitions of a low weight, it would be more like endurance training, it would just tone you up.
Not as good as cardio for losing weight, perhaps, but it might convert some fat to muscle, and the extra muscle would also increase your metabolism a little.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 1:24 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Not as good as cardio for losing weight, perhaps, but it might convert some fat to muscle, and the extra muscle would also increase your metabolism a little.

Fat cannot be converted to muscle. People can lose fat and gain muscle, however.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2018, 5:39 am

Yeah.
Realised my mistake after posting but didn't bother going back to edit.
Should have known someone here would pick up on it!