Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

amigurumi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2018, 3:16 pm

I'm having the worst time focusing on work the last few weeks. I've had a new interest sparked recently and it's gone completely mind consuming. I go to start working on a task and mid step open up a tab and start reading about it. I'm seriously considering asking my manager to limit my internet access temporarily or asking for a leave of absence for a week or two. I'm really lucky and have an employer who understands my quirks, but I'm not getting things done even remotely to my usual level right now. I usually have a pretty good handle on this, but it's so bad this time, worse than it's been in years. Anyone have some coping tips I can try? I'm hoping someone will have a suggestion I haven't tried yet.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2018, 6:17 pm

Taking leave might be the way to go, if there's a chance you could get the worst of it out of your system.
And if it's still a problem when you come back to work, then yes, removing access to the internet might be an idea.

The only other thing I can think of is, if there's a job needs doing at work that's particularly absorbing, like some kind of data mining that will keep you going for hours, that might help keep you productive.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 9:49 am

Having your manager restrict your internet access or a having a break are good ideas, I would say. Don't do what I did in my last job! I tried to hide it, hoping it would just sort itself out. When my lack of productivity got noticed, they checked my internet records and the truth came out, and I was disciplined for misuse of company assets, eventually losing the job.