SSI pending and can't afford mental health (Florida)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2018, 1:55 pm

Here's what's going on.

I'm 22 years old and I'm trying to get on SSI due to type 1 diabetes, Autism, ADHD, Bipolar disorder, depression, and borderline personality disorder. I haven't been approved yet but i am now waiting on a court date, which could take years.

I use to live in Wisconsin but now my adoptive parents sent me down to Florida to live with their relatives. I CAN NOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE, there's no other place for me to go besides here, BUT

The state of Florida is really messed up in terms of mental health care. I tried finding a free clinic so i can get my psych-meds and see a psychiatrist, BUT i can't afford the co-pays at all.

I understand that If you're not seeing a psychiatrist when trying to apply for SSI for mental illnesses your case will be denied but what if it's because you can't afford to see one?

And also, I'm worried about my foodstamps being cut off. the only reason why they didnt while i was back in Wisconsin is because my psychiatrist wrote them a note telling them not too because i couldn't work due to my mental illnesses, but now here in Florida, i don't have another psychiatrist to do that.... and if i get cut off my foodstamps then i have to die of no food (which i honestly don't mind, but i'd rather not but if i do, then oh well...).

Does anyone know what I could do?

I can't hold a job at all due to my conditions so that's out of the question... don't even mention that.

I'm in Pinellas county Florida...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2018, 6:04 pm

Its more likely it would take around a year, especially if you have diabetes and not just mental health issues, its harder to get SSI if you're only applying for mental health issues.

Also have you gotten an SSI attorney? In my experience they proved more helpful in getting the SSI than any of the doctors I saw. You only have to pay them if you get disability its free of charge if you're denied...and their payment is just a small portion of your back-payment. Also they do a lot of the difficult paper work and digging up medical records and such anything to prove you're disabled for you if you sign a release and will represent you on that court date. First time I applied I got denied, but second time with the attorney I got approved...I think that is more important than having a current doctor.

As for foods stamps have you provided a change of address, and informed them you're applying for disability? If so they should continue...if not what about the relatives, are they really going to let you starve if your food stamps did get cut? If they do then you can appeal it, and if you're in the process of getting on SSI that should help.

Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
Raven
Raven

13 Jan 2018, 12:02 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Its more likely it would take around a year, especially if you have diabetes and not just mental health issues, its harder to get SSI if you're only applying for mental health issues.

i was just thinking worse case scenario. hopefully it doesn't take me too long to get approved. I rejected the second time in April of 2017, and been waiting for the court date every since.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also have you gotten an SSI attorney? In my experience they proved more helpful in getting the SSI than any of the doctors I saw. You only have to pay them if you get disability its free of charge if you're denied...and their payment is just a small portion of your back-payment. Also they do a lot of the difficult paper work and digging up medical records and such anything to prove you're disabled for you if you sign a release and will represent you on that court date. First time I applied I got denied, but second time with the attorney I got approved...I think that is more important than having a current doctor.

yes, i did get a new attorney. i had one in Wisconsin but i got a new one when i arrived in Florida. i havent contacted them since October but i plan on contacting them again soon.

I was too scared to tell them that i couldn't afford mental health treatment in Florida because i was scared they might drop me. but i am getting treatment for the diabetes if that counts i guess.

Sweetleaf wrote:
As for foods stamps have you provided a change of address, and informed them you're applying for disability? If so they should continue...if not what about the relatives, are they really going to let you starve if your food stamps did get cut? If they do then you can appeal it, and if you're in the process of getting on SSI that should help.

i barely ever see my adoptive parent's relatives... but from what i know about my adoptive parents, they're really backwards people. they arent going to help me get food. they actually already know my foodstamps might be cut but they didnt really give a toss about it.

and i did let the foodstamp people know im awaiting disability/ssi so hopefully they dont cut them. i don't exactly know for sure yet though, but i'll find out.

Things are done quite differently in this state.