Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

debianator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2018, 9:31 am

I am not a big talker, in fact I may have a disorder because people that monologue but think they are having a conversation literally drive me to anger.

Well, my son would talk to himself almost ALL the time if I didn’t tell him to be quiet.

Any parents or Auties ever deal with this to a comfortable solution? 8O

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 11:44 am

debianator wrote:
Well, my son would talk to himself almost ALL the time if I didn’t tell him to be quiet.

How old is your son?

Many of the manifestations of autism overlap with the effects of solitary confinement. You will find "talking to oneself" as one of the effects of solitary confinement. See item (13) on the list in: http://solitarywatch.com/2011/02/21/aclu-urges-un-to-take-action-on-solitary-confinement-in-the-united-states/. It is of course lonely when people around you don't share your interests. If you start to share the same interests of your son, that goes a long way. But then, I know you are busy.

For immediate stopping of self-talking, you can simply show a mirror to your son so he can look at his own face. But that's just a temporary band-aid. To permanently cut off self-talking, you'll need something else.

If your son is 12 or above, you can give him a simple digital voice recorder. I stress on "simple" because most digital voice recorders out there have way too many features. The simpler, the better. Oh, smartphones are not good, because you need to press too many buttons. He will record his thoughts (a few seconds are enough) when he is self-talking. Then, he will replay it at a totally different moment and sort out himself, hopefully in some nice and memorable places. Taking a walk in the park might be good idea, for instance. Or go watch sunset. Or go to a ice cream or frozen yogurt shop. Things like that. Next time he talks to himself, he will remind himself about those memorable places and what he was doing, and what he has told himself back then. That's all. He can do all this on his own. Easy.

Take a look at these articles:
http://www.eikonabridge.com/AMoRe.pdf
http://www.eikonabridge.com/anxiety.pdf

Autism means giant dewdrops at some specific spots inside the brain. The mind is focused on certain thoughts or sensory stimuli. Nothing you do at the moment will help, because you would be reinforcing the feedback loop. What you need to do is to create a "space-time wormhole tunnel" to connect your experience at one given moment with your experience at a totally different moment. Once that tunnel is established, the energy of your brain can now flow to other thoughts. A voice recorder comes in handy for that purpose. Without a voice recorder, it's very hard to achieve the same outcome.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Jan 2018, 2:53 pm

I talk to myself a lot.
I'm adult, have a decent job, founded a family.
Talking to myself helps me to focus.
I know some other people find it distracting or annoying. I try not to do it next to them but sometimes I just forget.

Can you simply ask your son to go to a different room if it annoys you?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

I talk to myself a lot too. I don't do it out loud in public but when I've done it a little bit at some places of work it has really annoyed some, not all, colleagues. I assumed they were annoyed because they saw it as wrong but they might have been irritated with it, I don't know because I stopped when they made it clear they didn't appreciate it.

When I am out in public I talk to myself in my head, whole conversations and scenarios, maybe your son could try this. I think it would take a bit of practice if he doesn't usually do it. I talk out loud at home because it's still better but then nobody's here to hear me :D

debianator

14 Jan 2018, 5:31 pm

Funny thing is, he is in his room, usually talking to or yelling at his computer, I had to move his Xbox to his room because he was unable to keep the tv volume down. We don’t have a big enough house to get out of hearing range from each other.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 9:00 pm

Autistic kids do not always distinguish what they think from what they say. They tend to think out loud. You probably will not like this, but developmentally it is good thing for him to monologue. You can try to engage him in reciprocal conversation about the things he monologues about some of the time, but he is still going to have this need. When you absolutely need quiet, you can try asking him to lower the volume or something.

Often my brain needs quiet, so I understand the need. You may want to go in a different room and use noise cancelling headphones or white noise for those times. it is not uncommon for parents of autistic children to have certain sensory needs too b/c of genetics and sometimes those sensory needs conflict with each other or with something like monologues.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2018, 10:57 pm

I talk to myself, sometimes it helps me organize my thoughts.....If I am by myself I might take on a cheesy British accent...and comment about activities I am doing. IDK something is entertaining about doing that by myself.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 7:08 am

My AS son talks to himself nonstop if there's no one else to talk to, just as I did at his age. I still do it now and then, but almost always when alone. For many of us, it's part of the package.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 11:40 pm

I used to talk to myself a lot when I was little. Not just ranting and rambling, let alone thinking out loud---which even some NTs do on occasion---but actual call-and-response dialog. Like, asking a question or making a statement, and immediately responding to it. I did it most frequently after a bad day at preschool or a painful medical procedure, but also pretty much any time. By early elementary school, I "graduated" to singing made-up songs to myself or reciting previously heard song lyrics. Both of which I did too quietly for people around me to hear (at least so I thought).

OP, how does your son talk to himself? Like I did, or the more typical rambling and/or echolalia?

debianator

16 Jan 2018, 7:51 am

My son talks to, with, at, every and any activity. If he is cooking pancakes, he talks to the pan, pancake, etc. When he walks the dog he talks to the dog, which is cool, he talks to the dogs harness and of course he tells us about three times that he is going to walk the dog. If he is watching TV he talks to the actors, etc..........

Aspie1 wrote:
I used to talk to myself a lot when I was little. Not just ranting and rambling, let alone thinking out loud---which even some NTs do on occasion---but actual call-and-response dialog. Like, asking a question or making a statement, and immediately responding to it. I did it most frequently after a bad day at preschool or a painful medical procedure, but also pretty much any time. By early elementary school, I "graduated" to singing made-up songs to myself or reciting previously heard song lyrics. Both of which I did too quietly for people around me to hear (at least so I thought).

OP, how does your son talk to himself? Like I did, or the more typical rambling and/or echolalia?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 9:33 pm

debianator wrote:
My son talks to, with, at, every and any activity. If he is cooking pancakes, he talks to the pan, pancake, etc. When he walks the dog he talks to the dog, which is cool, he talks to the dogs harness and of course he tells us about three times that he is going to walk the dog. If he is watching TV he talks to the actors, etc......
Hmm... this doesn't sound like me as a kid. Talking to objects isn't really "talking to yourself", since there's an imaginary conversation partner. And talking to animals or TV actors is something even hardcore NTs do. Either way, one thing I suggest is for you to tell your son to talk himself quietly. At least this way, most people won't hear him, unless they'er right next to him.

Is your son old enough to have a cell phone? If so, he can get away with talking to himself because onlookers will think he's on a cell phone. Or if he talks to himself on a train or in a busy urban area, people simply won't care. I've ridden a train looking like a mess and quietly singing to myself, and nobody looked at me twice. It's harder for your son, though: for some reason, people judge kids harder than they judge adults.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 10:00 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Talking to objects isn't really "talking to yourself", since there's an imaginary conversation partner. And talking to animals or TV actors is something even hardcore NTs do.

I'll second that. It's more like "talking in imaginary/pretend play" and not like "talking to oneself."

Talking to toys:
https://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/children-parenting-190/primary-school-age-4-11-years-60/608066-talking-toys-normal-not.html

Imaginary friends: 65% of children invent imaginary friends and talk to them
https://www.todaysparent.com/kids/school-age/why-kids-invent-imaginary-friends/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 10:01 am

I talk to myself. I howl to myself. I meow to myself.

Ironically, I didn't do all those things when I was a child LOL