NVLD/SCD and ASD and adult life, "free money"

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Do you get "free money" because of your ASD/NVLD/SCD?
I get money because of my mental disability 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
I got money because of my mental disability, but now I do not get it 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
I applied for "free money" because of my mental disability, but I never got it 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
I never applied for "free money" because of my mental disability 33%  33%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 15

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 4:13 am

What do people with NVLD or SCD function as adults? Do they have jobs, marry? I suppose that they may be especially prone to being poor, underemployment and unemployment.

Does people with NVLD or SCD receive money "for free" (such as SSDI) because of their disabilities? I suppose that they have harder to get free money than individuals with ASD, although some cases of NVLD are probably associated with larger level of disability than some cases of ASD.

Does having diagnosis of ASD level 1 will mean that you will have SSDI?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 4:26 am

I'll take some free money sure... like all those corporations that got tax breaks and than laid off tons of people.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2018, 5:26 am

It’s a good thing those freshly laid of people got them some nice tax breaks on their income taxes. They probably get one better, tax credits.

I never received money for my disability. I work as much as I can. Yes, I been unemployed due to my illness. But I then fill in the gaps with self employment, where I maximize tax deductions (because I am evil).

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:23 pm

I receive "free money" from Polish Social Insurance Institution (social pension) since X 2015. It was about 600 to more than 700 PLN per month. I had diagnoses of Asperger's (F84.5 in ICD-10), schizotypal disorder (F21) and OCD (F42). I suppose that in USA or Canada I would be diagnosed with NVLD instead of AS.

Do people with social communication disorder diagnosis have any privileges in life, such as disability money? I read that field tests indicated that some children who would have received diagnosis of autism (a pervasive developmental disorder) under DSM-IV would receive diagnosis of SCD. So SCD may be assumed as an equivalent of PDD diagnosis from DSM-IV, like ASD. SCD is an aucorigic condition (my neologism for autism and similar condition formed from words "autocontrast" and "originality"). On that page (http://www.atotalapproach.com/images/do ... cation.pdf) there is written that SCD has code 315.39 (DSM, it is not written in the page that it is DSM code) and F80.89 (ICD-10, it is not written in the page that it is ICD-10 code). Codes of autism spectrum disorder are 299.00 and F84.0. It is bad that some aucorigias are classified as specific learning disorders or specific developmental disorders. There should be one subcategory of developmental disorders which should ecompass NVLD, SCD, ASD.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:12 am

I don't even know what NVLD and SCD are ):

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

Fragment from http://nvld.org/services-that-help-prep ... min-meyer/ (with my emphasis):

Quote:
The challenges in finding and keeping employment for young adults on the autism spectrum are well documented, with studies indicating that 75 to 85 percent are unemployed . However, there are no employment statistics for adults with NVLD, although according to Yvonna Fast, author of the book Employment for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome or Non-verbal Learning Disability, a high percentage are also thought to be unemployed or underemployed. Despite the increasing availability of job coaching and independent living services for young adults on the autism spectrum, the NVLD population lacks access to similar services, despite the many challenges they face. Deficits in visual spatial processing and executive functioning can cause seemingly mundane work tasks, such as organizing files, prioritizing, and filling out forms, to be excessively onerous, while managing nonverbal communication from employers and colleagues can also be challenging. More must be done, starting at the college and graduate school levels, to prepare adults with NVLD for the demands of the workforce.

It appears that it is harder to achieve SS(D)I money with NVLD diagnosis than with AS(D) diagnosis. It looks not fair for NVLD that they are deprived of services which individuals with AS(D) have. It is bad that people with NVLD can often end without income. I think that NVLD might be worse than ASD because of poorer availability of disability services for people with NVLD than for ones with ASD. It should change.

I am terrible in occupational area. I do not see occupational strengths in me. I "hate" hair grooming, getting a shower despite having OCD(?) associated with cleanliness. I fail regretably in the area associated with job.

I worked some weeks in my life. One job was without any employment contact at all and lasted only eight days (it was when I was nearly 26 years old), second lasted 29 days and was for a person with certificate of disability (it was after my 26th birthday). My possible NVLD was (mis)diagnosed as Asperger's in Poland, maybe due to this I got social pension. I think that I may not get social pension next time.