Obsessed with landing my first job...how many to apply for?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jan 2018, 10:49 pm

I just applied for my first job three weeks ago, and not hearing back about applications was giving me anxiety as I was obsessing about it, so now I've applied for four. How long does it really take to hear back from a job? I'm afraid I won't hear back from any of them. How long should I wait before applying at another job/calling where I've already applied and asking about my application? :?

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 11:12 pm

Your first job is hard to get, more so at 16. Really you should apply to as many as possible, increasing your odds. I would say for entry level jobs, call within 3-4 business days. If anything it’s not to early or late and would show you’re serous about wanting the job.

Good luck!

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 9:00 am

Apply for as many places as you can find that offer the kind of job you could do, has the kind of hours you can do and is at a location that you can get to. It's very common for the employers to not contact most people who apply for the job at all, so don't get stuck in waiting a reply from one place in particular.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 11:54 am

Keep applying at places until you land a job.

I think you should call places you've applied within two days, ask for the manager, and ask the manager for an interview. If they aren't available either leave a message for them or ask for a time they'll be available (or both). Don't expect them to call you. They might, but it's better if you call them shortly after you've applied.

AspieCookerMan
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2018, 12:29 am

Like the aspies above stated, as many as you can, at least 30. It sounds excessive, but theres a trick ive learned over time. Increasing your odds of a call back is number one. I call back the next day if the submitted application isnt too late in the day (before 2pm). From then on, ive usually taken the first job offer. If i get a 2nd or third call back while at the first, i keep note of it. They were interested enough to call, so theres a good chance that if the 1st doesnt work out, you can call back the others that showed interest before.

Despite how often this has worked for me, i still struggle with keeping my jobs. Im 32 and average 2-3 jobs a year. Though, i wasnt even disgnosed with HFA until i was 31. Im hoping now that with some knowledge of why i struggle i can hold onto my jobs a little longer.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2018, 12:46 am

Hi Nekomonster,
I have applied for thousands of jobs with no response. I am at the age where it no longer bothers me, I just keep trying.
For instance if I were a salesman I need to get used to hearing the BIG NO. word.
Not everyone will say no. There will come a time when someone says YES.
So hang in there and keep doing what you are doing.

Much love ..... Bob

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2018, 11:21 am

as many as you possibly can . if you succeed in interviews you can choose the one you like the most

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 5:57 pm

Depends entirely on the job and the person. Some people might hear back after one or two. Many people have to spend weeks or months applying, sometimes longer depending on the position and their resume. Try not to take it too personally and apply to multiple jobs at once. You don't have to wait until they've explicitly hired or rejected you to talk to other potential employers, just make sure everything is clear and sorted out when the time comes.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

Applying for jobs is your job, until you get hired.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2018, 10:31 am

Wow, I was stupidly optimistic a month and a half ago. I've applied to eleven places, received one formal rejection, followed up on a few with phone calls, yet still have yet to even get an actual interview. :?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 4:18 pm

As many as you can! But still be realistic, if you realize a job is not suited for you don't apply to it. Don't fall in love with a job either or you are asking to be hurt/disappointed if they don't hire you.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

DHolden5884
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2018, 5:33 pm

Some people take months to find their next job. Don't be too disheartened just yet, and apply for as many jobs as you can within reason so that you have as many options available to you as possible. One thing to be wary of is whether the job you are applying for is an environment that you will be comfortable in, a role you have knowledge about and also requires skills that you possess which you can apply to if you got the job. Knowledge and experience is what employers are on the lookout for.

Maybe also looking for voluntary work as a side project might help too. I did this between finishing college and gaining my first job to gain some experience of being in a working environment, and it also enabled me to have someone working there as a reference for my future applications. Don't lose hope and keep on applying, something will come in time as long as you keep yourself motivated. Best of luck