Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2018, 11:33 pm

Some of my coworkers started talking about the new Star Wars movie today and I joined in. I didn't like the movie (I actually hated it) and I ended up spending several minutes going on about all the different things that made me mad about it. Finally my coworkers all ended up excusing themselves and walking away. I think I made them mad even though I didn't mean to. I think they probably liked the movie and didn't like me tearing it apart like that. But I care about things like that and I didn't realize they weren't happy until they got up and left. Did I go overboard or were they just being oversensitive?

beady
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2018, 11:56 pm

They may have all liked the movie and didn't want to listen to anything negative about it or may have been bothered by the length of your viewpoint. Just be aware of that for the future regarding star wars and that group of people.
Even though I don't like a lot of movies, I try to just mention one or two weaknesses, and definitely say something positive. Then listen and see what others have to say. I heard at some point in my life that it's best to sandwich anything critical between layers of compliments. You can come across as overbearing if you launch into a long list of points no matter how valid they may be.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

I just stay clear of group convos.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 9:46 pm

I suck at group convos so I don't get involved much.

Ardea cinerea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2018, 5:01 pm

Do not worry about it, maybe you are been a little oversensitive to the situation, after all, it is just a movie you were talking about and not real life. Did they really excuse themselves because of the way you were talking? I doubt it and even if that was so, it is just a movie, they won't be mad at you about it. People don't always want to listen to me babble on about my passions or hear my opinions, I do not take personal offence to that and neither should you. Don't worry about it. I personally cant stand star wars, i would not want to listen to anyone critique it, I don't care for it, I would have excused myself from that conversation before you joined in., nothing wrong with that is there. Don't worry about it.

Arronax
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jan 2018, 10:57 am

It's really hard given by the info to make a judgement. I wouldn't say that in those small talkish group conversations people simply don't like criticism of stuff they like, it's rather just a lot about tone, context, timing etc. It's sometimes astonishing how 2 people can essentially say the same thing but one thing gets taken up in a much more positive light than the other, and its all about seemingly irrelevant stuff like gesture and tone of voice.