Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JungHustle314
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2018, 5:27 pm

Have you read "Aspergirls" by Rudy Simone? What did you think of it?

Stompgal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jan 2018, 10:14 am

I own this book and I found it very useful and informative, particularly the section at the very back that has tables of typical traits of females with Asperger syndrome. I even found the book handy research material for projects I was working on at college and university.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 10:11 pm

I am still reading it and find it very helpful.
Because she included the experiences of other women, even if I don’t relate to her (I don’t at all), I can glean something from each chapter and broaden my view.
It helps you feel like you’re not alone and not a freak. It also Shows you how a broad range of experiences is possible depending on ppl’s personalities, special interests, and upbringing/background.

I must confess I felt very depressed comparing myself to Rudy as I am an extreme loner who cannot succeed socially and is always misinterpreted (I fall high on the aspie scale I am more like a boy in my way of thinking)...

KissMyDirndl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Mar 2018, 4:04 pm

I'm still finishing it but I like it so far and I like Rudy Simone's books in general. :)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 188 of 200
Your neurotypical (Non-Autistic) score: 38 of 200

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 12:22 pm

KissMyDirndl wrote:
I'm still finishing it but I like it so far and I like Rudy Simone's books in general. :)

You resemble her by the way. The eyes.

I know she opened a special forum for autistic women. There is only a nominal small entrance fee (I guess so scammers stay away).

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

10 Apr 2018, 4:42 pm

I found this book very helpful and some parts were, honestly, like a copy from my diaries.
There was one about somebody struggling to process everything in her environment on a windy day and that's just totally how I feel on a windy day.
Chapter about puberty and mutism was also something I could relate to very strongly.

Hangfire
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2018, 11:08 am

Only 4 chapters in atm. Loving it so far. I plan to buy more books by female Aspies. The personalized experience is soothing as oppose to reading typical diagnostic/research information and translating it into my experiences. Like many girls on the spectrum, the first time i felt connected with other females was when i started reading books like Aspergirls and blogs by spectrum women.

LadyLucifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2018, 11:04 pm

Its funny becuase I just bought the book like a month ago. I've only read certain parts, ones that I need the most information on. (PTSD, love/sex, family, etc) There are some moments where I feel I finally have answers. Like I think it was the opening chapter Simone states that aspergirls generally have a learning disability such as dislexia (an umbrella term for a reading disability) and tend to have a lower IQ than men on the spectrum. Which explains so much about my childhood. Here I was blaming my physical disability, but it turns out I do fit the AS norm.

She also mentions something about clothes being comfortable and yet revealing. This is so true. I hate the motto "pain is beuaty." Plus I feel comfortable wearing less clothing than I do more. I feel like I'm hiding something otherwise.

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.