Autism with anxiety teenage boy

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Medj04
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2018, 5:10 am

Hi all I have two boys on the spectrum. My 13 year old is a sweet caring boy .He has multiple disorders under his autism inc severe receptive language disorder anxiety ocd dyspraxia.
He worries so much that others think bad things about him which I think all relates back to many adults in his early years talking about him in front of him. He has a very reactive brain and as part of his ASD thoughts usually the negative ones he stuck in his head. We have tried and still do to put the best supports in place for him at home and at school. He is in a mainstream class has a special needs assistant and the school support him pretty well but because of his complexities of course things happen that set him back. I am thinking that hormones are making his life a lot harder at present with his anxiety and thinking maybe he may need to medication to help cope with life he has a lovely psychiatrist in CAMHS who is very knowledgeable and works with a person talks with them not at them. I am wondering if any of you have tried medication with your child in a similiar situation and if it helped? I am thinking we may need to discuss this with him and his psychiatrist.Its his life so he is always part of the decision making. We just want to help reduce his anxiety so he is happier in himself . His ocd has gotten worse again so much so it s bringing to take over . He is a great kid we just want the best for him.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 10:08 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. :D

I'm afraid I can't really offer you any advice about what to do exactly, however I would say, based on my own childhood memories, to trust your hunch about his age. I have Asperger's, though not any of the other conditions you mentioned, and I remember that puberty did make my differences harder to deal with.

However, the problem may not be entirely down to his own hormones. The hormones of all the other children around him are also changing, and thus, so does their behaviour. To me, it felt like I had just about started to grasp some of the social rules, when all of a sudden, the rules started mysteriously changing, and I had no idea why. The other kids started segregating themselves by gender more, they started experimenting with flirting, and their friendship groups started shifting as their adult personalities were developing. I already had a sense of being very "different" to my peers, but seeing all of this happening around me gave me a dreadful sense of them racing ahead of me to adulthood, while I was left ever further behind. It may be worth investigating with your son and the psychiatrist whether there is a social aspect to his increased anxiety and OCD compulsions.