Page 2 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 10:21 am

Peterson's new book is Amazon's #1 Bestseller:

https://www.amazon.com/charts/2018-01-2 ... onfiction/

It's not only good that he's getting attention, but also that he's making money.

There Are Four Lights!

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 10:59 am

Darmok wrote:
Peterson's new book is Amazon's #1 Bestseller:

https://www.amazon.com/charts/2018-01-2 ... onfiction/

It's not only good that he's getting attention, but also that he's making money.

He's also getting about $50k per month in patronage.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 11:32 am

Yeah he gets $45k they just said it on the H3 Podcast.

When I first watched the debate I took it as her playing devils advocate but upon reflection I think she was just trying to misrepresent him. Still I think he performed well.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:10 pm

Pepe wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
This really wasn't that intellectual but it was at least something of a Snickers moment. What I still can't get over is she didn't even hedge her bets and play good cop in any areas let alone show any areas of agreement. It was pretty much a non-stop barrage of impulsive questions that seemed to suggest she had her filter on 100% pass-through. It'll be interesting to hear what kind of feedback she gets and whether she thinks things over this weekend or further doubles down on her positions going forward.

run time - 29:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcjxSThD54

I have to disagree somewhat in what you are saying about the interviewer...
While I did have a problem with her gift of misunderstanding his position, she was a wonderful "fencing foil" to battle against...
Personally, I think she was doing a good job in allowing Jordan Peterson to shine and allowing him to show is cohesive conceptual consistency brilliantly...

Brilliant find, m8...

conceptual consistency? Jordan Peterson? - yeah, well. but *only* compared to that interviewer.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm

shlaifu wrote:

conceptual consistency? Jordan Peterson? - yeah, well. but *only* compared to that interviewer.

I was surprised at how many intellectual constructs he stole from me... :mrgreen:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 5:48 pm

A really good Atlantic-style article on him from The Chronicle of Higher Education:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/What- ... out/242256

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
A really good Atlantic-style article on him from The Chronicle of Higher Education:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/What- ... out/242256

Thx 4 that...

Some snippets from the article...
Quote:
"Why do I have the authority to determine what I say?" Peterson replies, his voice brimming with outrage, his fingers pressed to his own chest. "What kind of question is that?"
<snip>
Peterson insisted that he would not waver in his opposition to the law, even if it meant going to jail. "I’m not using the words that other people require me to use, especially if they’re made up by radical left-wing ideologues," he informed Matte and the television audience. "And that’s that."
<snip>
"Socrates would be aghast at how few of us are willing to stand up for academic freedom if it risks arousing an angry mob," Haidt wrote via email. "Jordan Peterson is one of the few fearless professors."
<snip>
"Jordan has an apostolic flair," Saad says. "He represents the irreverent academic who isn’t willing to toe the line, who stands on principle.
<snip>
To understand Peterson’s worldview, you have to see the connection between his opposition to gender-neutral pronouns and his obsession with the Soviet Union. He believes that the insistence on the use of gender-neutral pronouns is rooted in postmodernism, which he sees as thinly disguised Marxism. The imposition of Marxism led to the state-sponsored slaughter of millions. For Peterson, then, the mandated use of gender-neutral pronouns isn’t just a case of political correctness run amok. It’s much more serious than that. When he refers to the "murderous ideology" of postmodernism, he means it literally.

An amazing man...

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 10:11 pm

These are apparently a big meme now.

There Are Four Lights!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 10:32 pm

Darmok wrote:
These are apparently a big meme now.

ROFLMAO!

adifferentname wrote:

He's also getting about $50k per month in patronage.

I read a couple of days ago it was up to $60K a month now...
I hope his fame isn't going to kill him...
Apparently, he is very stressed out and has been prone to bouts of depression in the past...

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:11 pm

Could Jordan Peterson become the best-selling Canadian author of all time?

Right now, University of Toronto psychology professor Jordan Peterson is the world’s most-read Canadian author. Given that he also narrates his own audiobooks, it’s possible he may currently be buzzing through more earbuds than any other Canadian voice.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/canada/ ... edfd4b75ae

There Are Four Lights!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:04 pm

Darmok wrote:
Could Jordan Peterson become the best-selling Canadian author of all time?

Right now, University of Toronto psychology professor Jordan Peterson is the world’s most-read Canadian author. Given that he also narrates his own audiobooks, it’s possible he may currently be buzzing through more earbuds than any other Canadian voice.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/canada/ ... edfd4b75ae

A pitty he is a theist...
I new there was something that was gnawing at me... 8O

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:58 pm

I just finished 12 Rules For Life a couple nights ago. Even if you've watched hundreds of hours of his interviews and lectures already there are at least a few stories and anecdotes from his life situations, previous friendships, etc. that I hadn't heard before. I can see where he had a lot of life experience to inform his worldview.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:47 pm

Also I really don't think he's a theist. Deist in the most abstract sense maybe but nowhere close to believing in a brooding Jovian sky-daddy.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 1:32 am

jp gets too much offspring, but these are higly enjoyable
benjamin a boyce

someone else

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 2:14 am

The memes have been the fun part of that debacle.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 4:06 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Also I really don't think he's a theist. Deist in the most abstract sense maybe but nowhere close to believing in a brooding Jovian sky-daddy.

I think there are podcasts where it is indicated that he is a "believer"...
But that could have simply been click-bait...<shrug>
I might have a closer look...