Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2018, 3:25 am

i mean, https is much saffer, they said that sites with http only nowadays are not safe anymore. ok we have that cloudflare protection(for ddos attacks) when we acess the site, but why the owners dont update the site?

Special Interest: memes

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2018, 4:17 am

Its not really a safety issue. All HTTPS will really do on a forum is stop your ISP or other network users from snooping on you. Everything you post on a forum is likely to be public anyway, so the only advantage to HTTPS is that snoopers won't know what you personally are doing.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 6:55 am

steve30 wrote:
Its not really a safety issue. All HTTPS will really do on a forum is stop your ISP or other network users from snooping on you. Everything you post on a forum is likely to be public anyway, so the only advantage to HTTPS is that snoopers won't know what you personally are doing.

It is a safety issue.

TLS also prevents ISPs and malicious users/orgs from injecting traffic into your session, ISPs have been known to try out injecting ads and malicious actors have been redirecting people to other sites.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 8:16 am

In simple terms, Alex doesn’t care. Why? This site/business isn’t making enough money. So no extra effort is put into the site anymore.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 8:02 pm

steve30 wrote:

Even though everything on the forum is public, your password isn't. Nor is your session cookie.

Without HTTPS, someone snooping could grab your password and/or session cookie, which could be used to impersonate you and create posts as if they were you. I'd say that's enough to say that the site would benefit from HTTPS.

It's not just about spying on you when you create posts.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 4:53 pm

If I wouldn't be even more painfully socially isolated, I wouldn't come here because of the lax safety of the site. Not just for the reasons mentioned but also because I hate being tracked. This site is tracked by google analytics, quantcast, medianet, contextualmedia and edge.quantserve. What we post on here shouldn't be any of their business but they have free access to everything we type. Like I said, if it wasn't for the loneliness factor, I'd stop coming. I think as a vulnerable group, we really should be given better protection. It's not like it would be hard to do. I use privacy badger but it doesn't get all the trackers. Some still get through. :skull:

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 8:57 pm

bunnyb wrote:
If I wouldn't be even more painfully socially isolated, I wouldn't come here because of the lax safety of the site. Not just for the reasons mentioned but also because I hate being tracked. This site is tracked by google analytics, quantcast, medianet, contextualmedia and edge.quantserve. What we post on here shouldn't be any of their business but they have free access to everything we type. Like I said, if it wasn't for the loneliness factor, I'd stop coming. I think as a vulnerable group, we really should be given better protection. It's not like it would be hard to do. I use privacy badger but it doesn't get all the trackers. Some still get through. :skull:

I personally use Ghostery to block trackers.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 9:06 pm

steve30 wrote:

And if you are worried about being snooped upon, there are VPN packages that could be used to hide everything about your traffic from them. I keep meaning to try out Protonmail's version of VPN which covers not only your desktops and laptops, but your cell phones as well.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2018, 9:09 pm

https was on for me today for some reason which made the embedded YouTube videos invisible. I had to disable it to see them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2018, 1:43 am

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
https was on for me today for some reason which made the embedded YouTube videos invisible. I had to disable it to see them.

Embedded https you tube videos have not worked for me for months. I have been having to go and manually get rid of the “s”. What has changed for me in the last 24 hours on both my desktop and IPAD even if I manually eliminate the “s” the software automatically puts it back meaning it can’t see embedded youtube videos at all.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman