FBI/DOJ/Obama corruption: Worse than Watergate? We shall see

Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:15 am

While the mass media has been freaking out about misspelled tweets, two-scoops-vs-one, and vulgar language in private meetings, the substantive investigations into top-level corruption in the Obama administration have been grinding on. It seems like some major dams are about to break, exposing how the Obama administration was using the FBI, DOJ, and NSA for political control -- and it's the phony "Trump-Russia dossier" that is going to be the key that opens it all.

The House Committee on Intelligence has prepared a classified summary memo on what has been uncovered so far, and it has just been released for private examination by members of Congress. It apparently exposes so much corruption at the top levels of Obama's DOJ and FBI that the memo's release is now being called for by people who have read it -- more details will follow:

Mark Meadows
@RepMarkMeadows
I viewed the classified report from House Intel relating to the FBI, FISA abuses, the infamous Russian dossier, and so-called "Russian collusion." What I saw is absolutely shocking.
This report needs to be released--now. Americans deserve the truth. #ReleaseTheMemo
10:52 PM - Jan 18, 2018

Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz
The House must immediately make public the memo prepared by the Intelligence Committee regarding the FBI and the Department of Justice...There is no higher priority than the release of this information to preserve our democracy.https://gaetz.house.gov/media/press-rel ... -committee
4:47 PM - Jan 18, 2018

Ron DeSantis
@RepDeSantis
The classified report compiled by House Intelligence is deeply troubling and raises serious questions about the upper echelon of the Obama DOJ and Comey FBI as it relates to the so-called collusion investigation.
While the report is classified as Top Secret, I believe the select committee should, pursuant to House rules, vote to make the report publicly available as soon as possible. This is a matter of national significance and the American people deserve the truth.
3:10 PM - Jan 18, 2018

Steve King
@SteveKingIA
I have read the memo. The sickening reality has set in. I no longer hold out hope there is an innocent explanation for the information the public has seen. I have long said it is worse than Watergate. It was #neverTrump & #alwaysHillary. #releasethememo
10:32 PM - Jan 18, 2018 · Washington, DC

There Are Four Lights!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:26 am

"The process for releasing it to the public involves a committee vote, a source said. If approved, it could be released as long as there are no objections from the White House within five days".
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01 ... ublic.html

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:36 am

This is indeed awful and neither side can be playing this game if we want a system that works.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:43 am

Wonderful; just what this site needs. Another circle-jerk for the brain-dead Alt-Reich.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 11:50 am

Piobaire wrote:
Wonderful; just what this site needs. Another circle-jerk for the brain-dead Alt-Reich.

This isn't a sports rivalry. It's the shaping, or really misshaping, of western civilization.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2018, 12:27 pm

Obviously everyone hopes the truth comes out.

I do feel rather sceptical about the claims of the Congressmen, particularly as two of them present it in explicitly partisan terms. But of course they would - if the allegations are true then almost any political figure would leap on them as a way to boost their "team".

Moreover, it just seems like the "investigation" into alleged wrongdoing by the Obama administration has rumbled for an awfully long time without much coming of it. Compare it to the investigation into wrongdoing by the Trump campaign, where quite a lot has been dug up over the past year. People have been forced to resign, been indicted, admitted to breaking the law, Steve Bannon accusing Trump Jr. of being a traitor, etc.

In the past couple of days there have been revelations about the extent of money laundering in Trump Tower as well as Bannon's testimony to the House Intelligence Committee. It seems to me that it's likely the Republicans are trying to create a scandal to distract people from the Trump fiasco.

Either way, the report will probably have to be released now, with details redacted as necessary for national and international security.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 12:34 pm

Piobaire wrote:

The only constant circle jerk I noticed is between a certain few far left posters... I haven’t noticed any alt-right posters here, care to point them out?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 12:39 pm

Nothing will come of it. Neither of the two gangs in power will hold former presidents who wear the other gang's colors accountable for their crimes. Both parties are neck deep in the corruption of our system.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 12:41 pm

The only I can think of that could be a positive outcome is if they say "Politically its impossible to prosecute the past - what can we do to prevent it in the future?". If they don't at least do that I'd agree, it's kind of a dog and pony show and mostly for nothing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 1:25 pm

Styx chimes in, also pushes the point that FISA was a GWB project and misused by his opponents. Is anyone seeing why 'muh team!' is a bad policy who didn't already see it?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2018, 1:34 pm

Piobaire wrote:

Please avoid this sort of language, particularly the bit where it's suggested that the alt-right are brain-dead. WrongPlanet's rules prevent attacks on groups, which extends to political groups (like SJWs and the alt-right) as well as races, genders, the LGBT+ community, and so forth.

It's also probably an actively harmful strategy.
SH90 wrote:
Piobaire wrote:

The only constant circle jerk I noticed is between a certain few far left posters... I haven’t noticed any alt-right posters here, care to point them out?

I don't know if this was intended as a trap, but it does rather come across that way.

It's hard to deny that the right are currently dominant on here. Look at all the threads claiming that white privilege is racist, for example.

I believe Mikah positively identifies as alt-right. It's also a fair description of Darmok. rvacountrysinger has indicated that he considers himself to be far-right, although that may have been for rhetorical effect. There are plenty of other users who express alt-right or far-right ideas regularly. You'll find them in any thread about social justice, immigration, or the American political situation.

There are only really two people I can think of who it would be fair to describe as far-left: DarthMetaKnight and Sweetleaf. Then there are people like Bill and auntblabby who are very forceful with their views, but ultimately those views are only centre-left.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Jan 2018, 1:36 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
FISA was a GWB project and misused by his opponents. Is anyone seeing why 'muh team!' is a bad policy who didn't already see it?

I think most of the blue team have already washed their hands of GWB just as the reds have abandoned Blair.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 2:12 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Obviously everyone hopes the truth comes out.

I do feel rather sceptical about the claims of the Congressmen, particularly as two of them present it in explicitly partisan terms. But of course they would - if the allegations are true then almost any political figure would leap on them as a way to boost their "team".

Moreover, it just seems like the "investigation" into alleged wrongdoing by the Obama administration has rumbled for an awfully long time without much coming of it. Compare it to the investigation into wrongdoing by the Trump campaign, where quite a lot has been dug up over the past year. People have been forced to resign, been indicted, admitted to breaking the law, Steve Bannon accusing Trump Jr. of being a traitor, etc.

In the past couple of days there have been revelations about the extent of money laundering in Trump Tower as well as Bannon's testimony to the House Intelligence Committee. It seems to me that it's likely the Republicans are trying to create a scandal to distract people from the Trump fiasco.

Either way, the report will probably have to be released now, with details redacted as necessary for national and international security.

Seem like in the US the far right is better than the left at using scandals.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 2:14 pm

My point was more to the comment earlier. This shouldn't be about party because both parties have dirty hands in this, much like they did with the elements that walked us toward the 2008 housing bubble. If our parties in the US could take this sort of thing seriously and be more introspective when the ball is in their court or less vindictive when the situation favors them - we'd be in much better shape.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 3:13 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
My point was more to the comment earlier. This shouldn't be about party because both parties have dirty hands in this, much like they did with the elements that walked us toward the 2008 housing bubble. If our parties in the US could take this sort of thing seriously and be more introspective when the ball is in their court or less vindictive when the situation favors them - we'd be in much better shape.

I think because both parties are complicit in supporting the "shadow government," that is a highly unlikely scenario.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2018, 3:19 pm

I think it can be dangerous if we overrate the power of a particular body for the fact that things aren't working well and we can't see it - ie. it might hold a particular kind of influence but it also might be as feeble and in-fighting as anything else. What the deep state argument reminds me a lot of though is what I remember reading in John Ralston Saul's Voltaire's Bastards - ie. that there's a particular administrative or middle-management class who, throughout history, has been hoping to leech power either from kings as their courts or as growing bureaucracies under central governments and that by and large it's a rent-seeking endeavor.

True, it's an important variable to keep in mind but I really don't know that it has an iron grip on policy past what seems to be it's most likely manifestation of steering presidential foreign policy. I think most of our domestic problems are of our own making and have less to do with anything top-down.