Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2018, 12:54 am

Arniel wrote:
Examining your failures does not necessarily remove the pain. My friend told me he just laughs every time when he remembers something shameful. This has reconditioned his brain so that he no longer feels shame (and reportedly some started to think he is a psychopath or autistic in process).

I think it's helping, especially after starting effexor which increases neuronal plasticity and makes it easier to affect your own emotions. Before I just felt like I was adrift in a brain that couldn't be affected by any sort of therapy.

hurtloam wrote:
No I'm making the same mistakes again.

It's maybe better if I just give up trying with people.

Maybe you should keep trying until you meet the right kind of people who won't mind occasional blunders. A reasonable person cares more about your general attitude than single mistakes.

Well yes. That sounds good. But it's bigger than the occasional blunder. I just come over as totally outside of everything. Like I don't want to belong.

If you put out signals that you don't belong people will happily let you not belong.

I have never belonged. I had a group of friends at school and we hung out everyday, but in adult life I don't have anything like that. I left high school 20 years ago.

There was this whole situation where I moved into a new town. Made some acqaintances who all grew up together and knew each other well. I realised that maybe one of the guys liked me. I started to like him back... But then wasn't sure if he did like me. I wasn't close to anyone, just knew people superficially. I felt like his friends knew that either he liked me or... that he knew I liked him and was just humouring me... and I felt so outside of the group. You know how people are when 2 people like each other and they like to make fun (or is that just British humour). I wasnt sure if the joke was.... awh they're cute or... oh man they're such losers he doesn't like her or she doesn't like him... I have never felt so alone. I had no one to ask. No one to talk to.

I eventually moved away because I felt so alone and outside of everything. I'll never really understand what happened with him and it eats me up inside.

What if I'd been more open and a better friend? Not just to him, but to other people.

I don't feel like I'll ever fit in. I've moved so much that I have no real connections and I don't know how to and I don't have the confidence anymore that I can make friends.

Arniel
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2018, 4:14 am

hurtloam wrote:
Well yes. That sounds good. But it's bigger than the occasional blunder. I just come over as totally outside of everything. Like I don't want to belong.

If you put out signals that you don't belong people will happily let you not belong.

I have never belonged. I had a group of friends at school and we hung out everyday, but in adult life I don't have anything like that. I left high school 20 years ago.

There was this whole situation where I moved into a new town. Made some acqaintances who all grew up together and knew each other well. I realised that maybe one of the guys liked me. I started to like him back... But then wasn't sure if he did like me. I wasn't close to anyone, just knew people superficially. I felt like his friends knew that either he liked me or... that he knew I liked him and was just humouring me... and I felt so outside of the group. You know how people are when 2 people like each other and they like to make fun (or is that just British humour). I wasnt sure if the joke was.... awh they're cute or... oh man they're such losers he doesn't like her or she doesn't like him... I have never felt so alone. I had no one to ask. No one to talk to.

I eventually moved away because I felt so alone and outside of everything. I'll never really understand what happened with him and it eats me up inside.

What if I'd been more open and a better friend? Not just to him, but to other people.

I don't feel like I'll ever fit in. I've moved so much that I have no real connections and I don't know how to and I don't have the confidence anymore that I can make friends.

Yeah, generally, there should be a certain degree of committment and revealing of personal information in order for there to be a deeper connection:

Quote:
Openness, especially as in revealing intimate information is important for building attraction. By being open you boost the others self-esteem because they will think that they are doing good socially, and it makes them attracted to you (and vice versa when they are open).

Mutual openness also serves as a mutual collateral, a promise for commitment as this info could be used against ourselves. The power at the hand of the receiver incentivizes the transmitter to work harder to gain the sympathy of the partner.

Without commitment, even a perfect match is doomed to fail.

Not to mention body language in general and not being too passive, etc but I'm sure you're aware of that.

All you can really do is to join some sort of hobby group or the like and try to connect with people, or through the internet or dating platforms. I initially met my best friend in a random forum thread.

If you have had friends once, you should be able to do it again, even if it's harder in the current circumstances.

My_Nirvana
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jan 2018, 6:25 am

Hi, I'm new and would like to join in on the empty festivities that is our lives. Surely I jest, but sadly I keep failing at this social thing. The only social events I've been going to is AA, being that my entire adult life has been medicated with drugs and alcohol. I'm trying so hard, mainly because I want to fit in with out such crutches and successfully write and play my music to make a career of it. I'm even failing with these as*holes who claim not to be a "glum lot" with such sayings as, " we'll love you until you can love yourself." While I'll never claim to be innocent or better than anyone, it feels like they finally have that legitimate excuse to shun this wretched bastard. Don't you hate it when everyone is inviting each other to some (usually Denny's) stupid get together and you find yourself standing there with enough time to think, " Here we go again, they're really going to make this so awkward for me that they might be giving me enough time to walk away absentmindedly." I've known some of these f*****s for years, some longer than others yet I still haven't cracked the level of assumed invite? I'm pretty sure they're also making remarks behind my back (which for an autistic, right in my face). I'm 32, and I don't even see the point of being sober. I had better success, platonic & romantic relationships when I was using and drinking. But the substances are bringing me more pain than a lack of friendship with substance...( I'll have to remember that one lol). My dad showed me this sight, and I apologise for bitching right out of the gate, but my heart is really broken and I can't shake this feeling of shame. If I can't fit in with angry drunk as*holes, self proclaimed, "liars, cheats and thieves"...what do I do now? Also, I don't want to take away from anyone who's already posted. Figured it would be redundant starting another thread. Thank you,
-Thomas

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 9:12 am

Everything is either successful, neither, or a failure

You can't guarantee only the first two

When it is the first two, it's like, whooptie do

When it is the third one, the other party gets theatrical and angry. And acts like you are public enemy number one and they are perfect l angels

Social relationships, maybe, appear to not be worth the cost benefit analysis

:twisted:

:roll:

:cry: :cry:

:lol:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 11:35 am

My_Nirvana wrote:
Hi, I'm new and would like to join in on the empty festivities that is our lives. Surely I jest, but sadly I keep failing at this social thing. The only social events I've been going to is AA, being that my entire adult life has been medicated with drugs and alcohol. I'm trying so hard, mainly because I want to fit in with out such crutches and successfully write and play my music to make a career of it. I'm even failing with these as*holes who claim not to be a "glum lot" with such sayings as, " we'll love you until you can love yourself." While I'll never claim to be innocent or better than anyone, it feels like they finally have that legitimate excuse to shun this wretched bastard. Don't you hate it when everyone is inviting each other to some (usually Denny's) stupid get together and you find yourself standing there with enough time to think, " Here we go again, they're really going to make this so awkward for me that they might be giving me enough time to walk away absentmindedly." I've known some of these f*****s for years, some longer than others yet I still haven't cracked the level of assumed invite? I'm pretty sure they're also making remarks behind my back (which for an autistic, right in my face). I'm 32, and I don't even see the point of being sober. I had better success, platonic & romantic relationships when I was using and drinking. But the substances are bringing me more pain than a lack of friendship with substance...( I'll have to remember that one lol). My dad showed me this sight, and I apologise for bitching right out of the gate, but my heart is really broken and I can't shake this feeling of shame. If I can't fit in with angry drunk as*holes, self proclaimed, "liars, cheats and thieves"...what do I do now? Also, I don't want to take away from anyone who's already posted. Figured it would be redundant starting another thread. Thank you,
-Thomas

Hi Thomas. What do you feel is your biggest hurdle to get over in dealing with people and making connections?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 3:25 pm

:D keep it in perspective :mrgreen:

For example, when a precious lil "person" that I was stupid enough to make the mistake of trusting, had the nerve to tell me "you make people uncomfortable with the way you dress!". And tell me that it was "lying" for me to ask him to call me "he" instead of "she" (among numerous other black and white, drastic judgments), keeping it in perspective means:. :skull: "At least he did not hire someone to rape me" :skull:

So what, he told me off.

He could have responded more favorably by telling me to get a support group

(Fine)

But he could have responded less favorably too

The other thing, is the mantra "here and now"

It appears that, the best case scenario is, whooptie do. And the worst case scenario is subject to imagination

That was San Diego 2004. This is 2018 and not San Diego

The homophobia situation is different

And I did not get rid of the homophobia by myself, but whatever

Life goes on until it stops

:mrgreen:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Ok the brain is a weird thing.

When I was younger I could brush things off and plow on into the next thing, but im feeling more discouraged and anxious as I get older.

When I look back on mistakes I made I think about how I should have done this or that and I can't understand why I didn't.

Here's a stupid example. I had 2 invites in the same night (a rarity) I didn't really want to go to the first one because it was more active and I was feeling not so great just getting over sore throat, so I told the 2nd inviter that I had a previous invite that night, but wasn't sure I was up to it. I expected her to say, just come to my thing then. But she didn't.

Now I look back I should have made it clear that I was accepting her invitation and not attending the first. In the end I stayed at home feeling upset. How stupid is that? I just can't get my head round the right thing to say at the time. I usually work it out weeks or months later. There was a guy at her party i wanted to see. And I didnt go. I am stupid.

I keep doing stupid things like that. I can't seem to stop it. I get mixed up and mess things up.

I feel more anxious now because invites are rare and I always mess up.

I'm going to be alone forever, but now not only due to stupidity, but by being overly anxious wherever I go.

Not sure how to get over it.

Perhaps it's a pragmatism deficit. You may need more time to process social situations. Perhaps you can mitigate this somewhat by giving yourself more time to think in social situations. Ask yourself:

1. What is the situation?
2. What is being communicated?
3. What are potential responses?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 4:33 pm

Yeah I think I do need time to process things.

Or I used to hang out with the wrong people.

I've moved to the city and I've met friendly people. People who ask for your phone number and invite you to things. My old friends were so insular and difficult to communicate with.

I'm seeing my old struggles in a new light. I just wasn't compatible with the people I knew. Most of my new friends aren't British. I think that makes a difference. The British are so unfriendly and closed off.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2018, 11:49 am

One thing that helped me is trying to shift the reflection from after the event to DURING the event. Now that you are aware of your issues and can identify where you made a mistake after the fact, the goal is to start identifying that there's a problem right away instead of later on. When you start feeling the anxiety and sense that something's amiss, that's when you want to step aside (mentally, or literally take a break in another room or bathroom) and weigh your options. Figure out the reality that's upsetting you and do whatever you can to steer away from that direction.

You probably can't make the "perfect" social decision in that moment, and the anxiety will probably stifle you, but at least choosing to keep the conversation open will help. In your example, you probably wouldn't have come up with the "perfect" response, but feeling the anxiety of being excluded and just being able to identify in that moment that "i don't want to stay home alone" can help you figure out what to do to fix it before it's too late.

Saying "i don't want to stay home alone" to the person would probably seem odd, but you can always say, "wait, what i mean is...". People might think it's a little odd to work things out verbally with you like that, but they will think it's stranger if you just flee the situation. This is what i've found anyway. Our inner dialogue is so loud, we forget that others can't hear it. The other party usually has no idea that you're anxious and suffering, so they don't blink an eye if you seemingly turn down an invite or don't respond.

Good luck!

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2018, 1:57 am

I empathise with many of your situtations.

I've joined meetup.com and been isolated from groups - no idea why! There was a party, and they changed the location - I arrive to find no one! Lovely.
You can't really put things on yourself, if people are genuinely interested in you they'll take the time and make the effort to meet you/invite/hang out/get to know you.
Sometimes you are just around the wrong people. Other times it is normal for people to not want any new friends outside of their circle, some people can be very cliquey & insular.
Moving cities and having no friends, struggling to make new friends is a normal thing even for NT's - some NT's also have lost all their friends.
Don't be too hard on yourself.
You could make online friends here, on a dating website (just say you're only looking for friendships atm), or other websites you frequent. That way you have a support base to bounce things off.