Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2018, 9:42 am

I don't quite imagine smells. Sometimes, however, when I think of some experience, or just in any random, irrelevant time I sense smells that are unexciting in my surroundings. Or when in town I smell essential oils I have smelled before.
Is it my memory that I cannot recall willingly or I actually sense something? OK people can use natural perfumes but what about feeling the smell of cinema when I think of cinema? I literally feel the smell. Is it relevant to ASD? I don't know where to post so I'll post here.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 10:41 am

I do experience the same thing and know people who have told me they experienced it as well. One of the most common (at least from experience) smells that people can sniff is smoke. There is a term for something like that. It's called phantosmia, similar to phantom limbs, you smell things that are typically not there. Some people state that It can become something very bad but I never had a negative experience to that yet nor do I know anyone who has.

Sometimes I can smell breath, the fur of something like a cat etc. when I'm thinking of an interaction I have with my "imaginary" friends although they are not physically there and nothing of that sort is around me to actually smell those sort of things. Sometimes it's just out of the blue as well. Certain smells, like fruity and earthy smells also fill my nostrils at random times even when I'm not purposely trying to "smell" those sort of things.

Though the most I tend to get a whiff of is smoke, like a potent cigarette smoke. It could be probably because I'm used to be around smokers like my mother. I don't know if it's relevant to ASD but it's quite an interesting phenomenon. You can find more about phantosmia online.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2018, 5:06 pm

Thank you, that was explicit and really helpful!

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2018, 5:06 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:
Thank you, that was explicit and really helpful!

You're welcome! :)