Trouble with waking up and dicipline

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Everdred
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2018, 10:30 am

For the longest time now I have been dealing with two problems that go hand-in-hand with one another, but lately I seem to struggle more in managing my life because of it. The general problem is that I am currently trying to motivate myself to get up around 09:00, doing the chores around the house (I am living alone as I'm writing this) and working further on my own design-studio from my "home office" (desk and chair next to my bed :P ), but I can't seem to get up when I want to.
I have stopped putting my alarm next to my bed, as I will stop it as it goes off and just continue laying in bed and tried putting it further away from my desk so I have to get up, but lately I have developed the annoying habit of getting up, shutting the alarm off and getting back to bed, only to wake up a couple hours later then planned.
Also I'm kinda getting sick of watching Youtube video's I already seen at least 2 times before and doing nothing all day, but I can't seem to break the cycle.
So I wonder if anyone has any ideas or tips to get up from bed (and not crawl back) and also how to keep myself motivated/diciplined to do the things I want to do on a daily basis. :)

Pericles
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

I've struggled with this one too.

I find gradually stepping up the physical exercise lowered my sleep requirement, & imbued me with better discipline generally.

The studies on willpower suggest that it can be learned, & when applied in one area it can increase willpower in another.

The trick is to build the willpower 'muscle' slowly, as trying to maser everything at once will generally result in a crash-and-burn.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 8:03 pm

Sunlight helps with waking up. Maybe jerry-rig your blinds so you can open them from your bed and use an alarm that is out of reach from your bed to help you get up. Wake up and go to bed at the same time everyday regardless what you have to do.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 8:10 pm

Getting an evening shift job. I am just a nocturnal person. When I had to be at work at 3:45 pm, I was able to get up when I wanted.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:06 pm

I have a non 24 hour sleeping pattern. I always wake up about 1 hour later and stay away 1 hour later than the previous day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:20 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I have a non 24 hour sleeping pattern. I always wake up about 1 hour later and stay away 1 hour later than the previous day.

mee too! for the longest time that was how I slept.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 9:26 pm

Everdred wrote:
I wonder if anyone has any ideas or tips to get up from bed (and not crawl back) and also how to keep myself motivated/disciplined to do the things I want to do on a daily basis. :)

what works for me lately is doing something cognitively tiring towards the end of the day, which rapidly makes me tired. in my case, it is learning how to play bass flute, its embouchure is taking up all my brain cells to figure out how to best. with you, you'll have to find your own cognitively taxing thing.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2018, 10:44 pm

Everdred wrote:
For the longest time now I have been dealing with two problems that go hand-in-hand with one another, but lately I seem to struggle more in managing my life because of it. The general problem is that I am currently trying to motivate myself to get up around 09:00, doing the chores around the house (I am living alone as I'm writing this) and working further on my own design-studio from my "home office" (desk and chair next to my bed :P ), but I can't seem to get up when I want to.
I have stopped putting my alarm next to my bed, as I will stop it as it goes off and just continue laying in bed and tried putting it further away from my desk so I have to get up, but lately I have developed the annoying habit of getting up, shutting the alarm off and getting back to bed, only to wake up a couple hours later then planned.
Also I'm kinda getting sick of watching Youtube video's I already seen at least 2 times before and doing nothing all day, but I can't seem to break the cycle.
So I wonder if anyone has any ideas or tips to get up from bed (and not crawl back) and also how to keep myself motivated/diciplined to do the things I want to do on a daily basis. :)

It's not actually natural to force one's self to get up when one has not gotten enough sleep, and you will not function at your optimal level if you do force yourself to get up and function when sleep deprived. The question is, what time do you fall asleep?

The time you fall asleep is the key to the time you wake up naturally.

Do you fall asleep late? Do you do so because you have forced yourself into this state, staying up even though you are tired? Or do you have some sleep disorder such as delayed sleep phase syndrome/disorder or a non-24 hour sleep cycle?

Romansky123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2018, 8:16 pm

i know how you feel

Everdred
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Ironically enough I forgot to check this thread for a couple of days because I'm still adjusting to a better sleeping-pattern. :oops:
With that being said: I have been more succesfull in being more proactive during the day since I posted this thread.
I still have to work more on getting in/out of bed on regular hours, though. I am currently working towards a daliy rythm of going out of bed at 09:00 (9 AM), doing housework, followed by designing for a couple of hours, having dinner, then after about 1/2 hours of more designwork unwinding and going to bed around 23:00 (11 PM).
I also have discovered that I was lacking a pull- and push-factor - a reason for myself to get out of bed at 9 and a long-term goal to work towards to during the day to keep the structure going. I found this out when something in my home life changed, which kinda forces me to now productive.

But anyhow: I want to thank those who responded so far and if anyone still has any *suggestions or can relate to this feel free to post.

*To Noca: I have actually looked up if there are ways to open/close the curtains automatically, but from what I can tell most of them (if not all) require either some sort of programable timer or a Raspberry Pi to base the system on, which are systems that I do not know how to work with (I'm kinda like an elderly person trying to work with a computer for the first time in that regard. :lol: ), but I will keep looking, because I really like the idea. :wink: