Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

I've never been into sports at all. I've always been the odd one out at school and work because everyone else wants to talk about football and basketball but I don't watch the games and honestly couldn't care less about who's playing for which team or who wins or loses. A few months ago though my uncle came to visit and he started watching Nascar. I had nothing better to do so I sat down to visit with him and ended up watching it too... and surprisingly I ended up enjoying it. There's something about a straightforward car race that appeals to me more than the endless rules and technicalities of football or the stop and start action of baseball. Does anyone else like Nascar? Or some other kind of car races?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm

I'm not a big fan of NASCAR, except for when they visit road courses like Watkins Glen.

I'm a big fan of the Trans-Am series, Super GT, DTM, Pirelli World Challenge, IMSA Continental Series, Canadian Touring Car Championship, etc. I also love DRM and the IMSA GT series, as far as defunct series go, along with older eras of Trans-Am and DTM (Class 1 über alles!). Rallying is really fun to watch too, especially the Group B/Group A/WRC (World Rally Car, not the series they're raced in, World Rally Championship) era. Rallycross is pretty fun to watch as well, like the FIA WRX and US based Global Rallycross Championship.

I like racing with production touring cars and grand touring cars, I like racing with silhouette cars and recently sports prototypes like the old Can-Am series, Group C and GTP and the later World Sports Cars have grown on me.

I don't pay too much attention to open wheelers, like Indy, F1, GP2, etc.
I don't really care for drag racing or for oval track racing.

I also collect toy cars with a strong focus on race cars fitting the categories I described before. I've also gotten into building customs, typically modifying stock production (or modified street) cars into race cars.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2018, 8:04 pm

I started watching NASCAR about 5 years ago which got me interested in other motorsports. Now I watch NASCAR, NHRA drag racing, IndyCar, Formula 1, IMSA and the occasional Supercross, Rallycross (GRC and WRC), MotoGP, and short track racing (Lucas Oil, World of Outlaws, et al... hurray for MAV TV). I have gone to some local races but since I am the only racing fan in the family it is generally not worth the effort.

If you are into Fantasy Racing, you can join me over at FMFL Fantasy Racing Games as it is free and just for bragging rights. It would be great to have other like minds there. :D Their fantasy games follow a wide range of motorsports, including NASCAR.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2018, 12:11 pm

I go way back----to the days of A. J. Foyt and Richard Petty. I've been watching Indy and NASCAR since the late 1960s.

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2018, 12:45 am

Lots of good racing this weekend. I watched the ARCA season opener at Daytona this afternoon and am watching Supercross San Diego right now. Tomorrow I will be watching the finals for the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona and the Clash at Daytona. And then speed week leading up to the Daytona 500 next weekend. I'm also looking at some online streaming options to watch some of the local short track and dirt racing series along with my MAV-TV.

I'm also doing some fantasy motorsports on NASCAR Fantasy Live and FMFL.net

What are you watching and do you have any favorite drivers?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:53 pm

davesalyers wrote:
Lots of good racing this weekend. I watched the ARCA season opener at Daytona this afternoon and am watching Supercross San Diego right now. Tomorrow I will be watching the finals for the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona and the Clash at Daytona. And then speed week leading up to the Daytona 500 next weekend. I'm also looking at some online streaming options to watch some of the local short track and dirt racing series along with my MAV-TV.

I'm also doing some fantasy motorsports on NASCAR Fantasy Live and FMFL.net

What are you watching and do you have any favorite drivers?

I might watch the race at Sebring in March, and I want to try to follow this year's WRC season more closely than last year.

I'm quite fond of Sébastien Loeb, Michelle Mouton, Mark Donahue, Keiichi Tsuchiya, Bob Sharp, Paul Newman, Hans Stuck, Hurley Hayword, Tommy Kendall, the Millens, and others.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2018, 6:06 pm

WRC is an awesome series. I enjoyed the NASCAR Clash today but was surprised at the Ford dominance at the end.

Watching the NHRA finals currently - amazing the bad luck the Force team has had. John's Funny Car blew up into a fireball yesterday and Brittany's crash was really bad so she was taken to the hospital. Courtney was eliminated which is understandable since she was probably preoccupied with concerns for her sister.

I will have to see what damage these do to my Fantasy motorsports points.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 6:33 pm

davesalyers wrote:
WRC is an awesome series. I enjoyed the NASCAR Clash today but was surprised at the Ford dominance at the end.

Watching the NHRA finals currently - amazing the bad luck the Force team has had. John's Funny Car blew up into a fireball yesterday and Brittany's crash was really bad so she was taken to the hospital. Courtney was eliminated which is understandable since she was probably preoccupied with concerns for her sister.

I will have to see what damage these do to my Fantasy motorsports points.

I hope she's okay. I don't know if I'd be able to focus on racing after two family members had those types of accidents.

I've never watched pro drag racing, but I've read interviews with John Force and he seems like a good guy. Is he okay from the explosion?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2018, 9:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I hope she's okay. I don't know if I'd be able to focus on racing after two family members had those types of accidents.

I've never watched pro drag racing, but I've read interviews with John Force and he seems like a good guy. Is he okay from the explosion?

Yes, both Brittany and John seem fine. Brittany is in the hospital overnight as a concussion precaution. John was at the race today. It says a lot for the evolution of the safety equipment in the NHRA vehicles. Bad things can happen when you are running nitro through the fuel lines.

Drag racing is a different kind of watching than other motorsports as the races are so short. Much of the fan interest is what modifications and repairs are happening in the garage pits. And live NHRA races have interactive workshops and stuff geared to even the kids. All NHRA passes include pit/garage pass generally.

davesalyers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2018, 9:26 pm

Anybody else celebrate Daytona Day? Great races in all three series... I do think the final crash involving Kurt Busch in OT bringing out the 5th Caution in the Cup race should get the teams and NASCAR looking at the aerodynamics of the current specs of the Gen-6 Car. Ryan Blaney, who led 118 laps on the day, appeared to turn Kurt Busch by breaking the draft as the leaders entered Turn 1. Busch spun up the track and collected a number of drivers including pole-sitter Alex Bowman, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Ryan Newman and others, 12 cars in total.