Ohio State Student Senate to vote ask admin ASD checklist

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2018, 1:17 am

Student Senate: Members to vote on Autism Spectrum Disorder checklist

Quote:
Ohio University Student Senate will vote on one bill and four resolutions Wednesday at its first meeting of the year.

The bill asks the university to “adopt autism spectrum disorder checklists across departments.” According to the bill, some professionals and students have said there is an unequal burden on students with autism spectrum disorders due to the lack of resources on campus.

In order to help alleviate that problem, the bill proposes adopting “checklists” for all employees. Other universities such as Kent State University have similar items in place, according to the bill.

The checklist includes questions such as “What is autism spectrum disorder?” and “What can I do to help this student succeed at OHIO?”

Minority Affairs Senator Jordyn Zimmerman is the primary sponsor on the bill.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2018, 1:12 am

Student Senate: Body passes bill to encourage usage of autism spectrum disorder checklist

Quote:
During Wednesday evening’s general body meeting, the body voted to approve a bill asking the university to “adopt autism spectrum disorder checklists across departments.”

The checklist details characteristics of someone with an autism spectrum disorder. Senate plans to mail the checklist to university administrators and other professionals on campus, such as employees of Ohio University Culinary Services.

Saira Brown, the director of internship and secondary sponsor of the bill, said a diversity and inclusion committee she served on sent out a survey to professors about ASD.

“They had no knowledge of who had ASD or a disability in their classroom,” Brown said. “They asked us to help them and provide them with resources.”

She hopes the checklist will “knock down” stereotypes associated with ASD.

“I hope people understand ASD a little more and other disabilities,” she added.

Senate President Landen Lama said senate will recommend the checklist be added to the training portfolios of “housing professionals, health professionals and safety professionals” at the university.

“We want to make Ohio University the most inclusive place it can be,” Lama added.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman